has anyone ever taken walkie talkies to glastonbury so that they can find thier friends?

SallyFaulknerStantonWarrio

4 minutes ago, pie_and_a_pint said:

Got one like this. Gets me about 3-4 full charges through the festival. That's usually enough as it's not like you spend all your time on tinternet wasting battery.

Me and a couple of friends did a few years back, mainly for fun as we still had our trusty festival Nokia phones with us.

They're hugely impractical as a main form of communication, they're call noise isn't very loud and can't often be heard over the bands, only work when switched on and the battery doesn't last as long as a cheap mobile phone. Plus, people think you're security when they see you using one / hear you using one near them in a crowd.

Ended up losing mine and had great fun trying to get it back from the people who found it! Found one last year too and similar hilarity ensued. A bit like those random phone boxes they've had around the site in recent years.

At the risk of getting flamed... We did it two years ago, actually worked really well! The charge was much longer than phones, so could keep it on all day with no battery issues. Also significantly hardier than smart phones when it comes to the weather.

Also took a pair a few years ago.  They worked fine across the whole site, but you couldn't hear them when you were in the noisy bits so sometimes you had to keep trying.  Batteries lasted the whole festival.  We sometimes found there were other people using the available channels, but that's more of an entertainment-factor than a problem.  Phones and portable chargers have rendered these obsolete in terms of practicality, but there's still something fun about using radios...

48 minutes ago, grumpyhack said:

Why not simply agree to meet up at particular places and particular times - like at one of the Meeting Points or by a certain food stall?

I remember people leaving a note on a piece of paper at the Meeting Point - relatively recently too!

2 minutes ago, pie_and_a_pint said:

I remember people leaving a note on a piece of paper at the Meeting Point - relatively recently too!

This really cheered me up for some reason. Adding note pad and pen for packing. 

I like leaving anonymous treasure for others to find and have done this for a few years now with no way of knowing who found it.  I've always returned later in the day to find it gone.  

This got me thinking about planting one walkie talkie and leading the lucky finder to the treasure.  Off to Argos tomorrow......

Similarly on my local radio there is a "Phone with no home" feature where the holder of the phone gets an on air interview and then hands it to someone else for the next day.