"Really big secret"

Supernintendo Chalmers

1 hour ago, Heather90 said:

I don't think this is a secret set as such. It's just something that is a secret at the moment. I think it's getting announced before the festival, probably on the full poster

What? Where has this come from?

1 minute ago, Waapster said:

What? Where has this come from?

Nowhere - it just makes sense considering Emily has announced the existence of a big secret. If it remained a secret throughout the festival any gap in the schedule/'secret set tba' on the lineup would be mobbed. Definitely think it's gonna be announced beforehand.

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

Nowhere - it just makes sense considering Emily has announced the existence of a big secret. If it remained a secret throughout the festival any gap in the schedule/'secret set tba' on the lineup would be mobbed. Definitely think it's gonna be announced beforehand.

Oh, I agree with that. I thought there was inside info that it would be Arctic Monkeys...

almost definitely been mentioned before but the filename of the 2017 map being 2017v1map.png may give credence to the theory there will be updated versions to come with potentially new and as yet unannounced areas? but i guess they wouldn't leave such an obvious clue

8 minutes ago, Waapster said:

Oh, I agree with that. I thought there was inside info that it would be Arctic Monkeys...

My only connection to the Arctic Moneys is that I also live in Yorkshire. No insider info here. I'd be disappointed if it was them as I'm not a fan. I wouldn't mind lady gaga for a bit of a pop sing along. 

I'm holding out hope for a beatles legend slot. I'd happily take Led Zeppelin or The Kinks if not. 

24 minutes ago, mufcok said:

120 pages of suggestions, madness. For me it's an act (human not hologram) either in the Saturday sub or legend slot

Anything else I'll be shocked

Those have already each been reportedly allocated to The National and Barry Gibb respectively. You'd be shocked if another act wasn't announced to shove one of those out of the place?

28 minutes ago, mufcok said:

120 pages of suggestions, madness. For me it's an act (human not hologram) either in the Saturday sub or legend slot

Anything else I'll be shocked

For me its both, once Gaga was the Coachella headliner they have held back her announcement for the wow factor.

Plus I think Barry Gibb was backup in case whoever they have got for the legends slot fell through.

Some of the suggestions on here have had me laughing my head off. A line up that includes Radiohead, Foo Fighters, The Jacksons, Barry Gibb, ect and OP think they've been sitting on the likes of KLF or The Killers for 6 months !

Edited by swede

4 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Those have already each been reportedly allocated to The National and Barry Gibb respectively. You'd be shocked if another act wasn't announced to shove one of those out of the place?

Both The National and Barry Gibb are just assumptions as sub/legend unless I've missed some concrete evidence?

The Saturday sub slot has been used recently as a 'secret/surprise' slot and if they were able to book someone like The Kinks I don't think they'd hesitate shifting Barry Gibb to a different slot to have them play the legends slot.

I struggle to see where else it could be? If it's a Park slot she's referring to they have to be careful with the size of the act as that's why they stopped doing the surprise slots up there

Edited by mufcok

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Barry hasn't been announced for Sunday afternoon has he?

My bet is somebody else in the legend slot or that the tickets are being hand delivered by Chris Martin/Guy Garvey/Damon Albarn.

3 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Not that I'm doubting he'll be the legend but has Gibb been reported as having that slot? When he gave the interview after his Coldplay cameo it sounded as though he was happy to take a non-legends' slot and for a while we were expecting him to maybe be 5th down below Diana Ross. Obviously since finding out she isn't playing we've assumed he's the legend but I don't recall seeing it reported by anyone.

Saying that, I don't think the big surprise will be the legends' slot.

There is absolutely no denying the Sunday tea time slot (that's what the festival have always called it, we have all unofficially called it the Legend's slot) not being announced separately is very curious. Either the Festival want to reign in future expectations, or it's never been Barry Gibb all along.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

The Guardian may or may not have an inside scoop, but they've certainly reported it.

Barry Gibb is taking the Sunday teatime “legend” slot that drew huge crowds for Dolly Parton in 2014 and Lionel Richie in 2015.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/mar/30/katy-perry-among-the-88-artists-announced-for-glastonbury-2017

The last few years, def since 2014 the legend has got their own announcement way before the first line-up drop. Dolly, Lionel and ELO all had their own announcements. So if Barry Gibb, one of the Bee Gees ! doesn't get his own announcement then its safe to assume it might not be him.

As for The National subbing. I think Emily has been clever in giving hints as to what slots the big secrets could be for. She was very quick in that interview a few weeks back to say The XX were subbing Radiohead and Biffy subbing Ed, why not then tell us that The National were subbing FF's in the very same interview ?

2 hours ago, Roger1 said:

I for one would be more than happy to see this! 

Yeah i'd like to see that aswell.. They have not played glasto before have they? and in 2014 they did say they'd love to play glastonbury.... Daily star 2014 

Vocalist Chester Bennington, 38, told me: "I would love to play Glastonbury.

"It's an interesting festival and the fact Metallica are playing is a huge step.

Edited by LifeBegins@What???

13 minutes ago, mufcok said:

Both The National and Barry Gibb are just assumptions as sub/legend unless I've missed some concrete evidence?

The Saturday sub slot has been used recently as a 'secret/surprise' slot and if they were able to book someone like The Kinks I don't think they'd hesitate shifting Barry Gibb to a different slot to have them play the legends slot.

I struggle to see where else it could be? If it's a Park slot she's referring to they have to be careful with the size of the act as that's why they stopped doing the surprise slots up there

Not concrete but I'd suspect The Guardian, as CG has just posted, and the reporter at the NME who interviewed Emily and since published that The xx were before Radiohead and The National before Foo Fighters, would be working off more than assumption. Gibbo's not been officially announced separately, no, but it's the act's prerogative really whether they're announced separately and the last three before this year had their own shows to create a buzz about via the Glasto announcement.

Saturday sub isn't a 'secret/surprise slot'. Tame Impala were booked late on last year. If anything that's Friday because they inadvertently had to put one on as a secret set.

It just sounds like she's bigging up acts yet to be announced to me. Can't be anything but an anticlimax after seeing some of the shouts across the thread.

Edited by dentalplan

1 minute ago, mufcok said:

I'm guessing people are just assuming re The National subbing? I haven't seen anything and they are down as day and stage TBC still on the rumours page on here

Yeah, just assuming. But they are on the poster in between the Friday and Sunday subs so seems a reasonable guess