Leftfield

Michaels denim shorts

Aren't the leftfield headliners on at the same time as the sub headliners on other stages?

yep, just looked it up, tend to be on 9pm to 10pm. The quest for an actual Sunday headliner continues...

Edited by Mr.Tease

35 minutes ago, simian_mobile_mushrooms said:

I only ever went to one debate at Glasto and that was about student fees and unfortunately there wasn't a whole lot of debate going on because it was all coming from people who pretty much just agreed with each other, which kind put me off it as for me its a bit pointless if people are just monologuing. Does anyone go more regularly and know if there's more opposing views normally and maybe it was just a singluar poor debate? Do they have people across the political spectrum or from diff schools of thought, basically?

PS Love a bit of Dreadzone though

Yeah, it can be a bit of an echo chamber. As much as I'd love them to have someone there with a strong contrary argument for a proper debate, it's there to promote and discuss a left leaning belief.

I went to see the Pussy Riot debate a couple of years ago, hoping to see the a really passionate debate but it was basically everyone agreeing that Putin is a bit of a c**t.

14 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

Aren't the leftfield headliners on at the same time as the sub headliners on other stages?

yep, just looked it up, tend to be on 9pm to 10pm. The quest for an actual Sunday headliner continues...

Forgot... justice on WH. Not too far from there either. 2 headliners for the price of 1

2 hours ago, Primalcrux said:

Declan McKenna!! (: He is playing on John Peel as well right?

Yes

From the info I had been passed on this makes me more confident of the JP slot. 

I had heard he was playing Friday & Sunday. Friday JP and Sunday was described to me as 'more of an area'. But this was by someone that doesn't have much knowledge of Glasto (But this person did get the info straight from the horses mouth himself)

I'm meant to be playing football with Dec tomorrow actually. Any questions need asking? 

13 minutes ago, mjsell said:

Yes

I had heard he was playing Friday & Sunday. Friday JP and Sunday was described to me as 'more of an area'. But this was by someone that doesn't have much knowledge of Glasto (But this person did get the info straight from the horses mouth himself)

I'm meant to be playing football with Dec tomorrow actually. Any questions need asking? 

What time on Friday please

25 minutes ago, mjsell said:

Yes

If he's Fri JP see if he knows who's headlining that night (dunno how much of the lineup acts will know, though).

I'd really like to know Saturday too but that's probably pushing what he'll know :lol:

30 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

If he's Fri JP see if he knows who's headlining that night (dunno how much of the lineup acts will know, though).

I'd really like to know Saturday too but that's probably pushing what he'll know :lol:

Yep I will try. Sometimes it can be tough bringing up the glasto convo mid match but will give it a go :D

Had a sneaky feeling that the Left Field would go and get Cabbage, just seemed a perfect fit. That Friday is looking strong Shame, Nadine Shah, Cabbage and Braggy may as well just set up camp for the day. 

I had convinced myself Ani DiFranco was gonna be on the Left Field on the Sunday, think she might be in the Acoustic Tent

I'm not sure what relevance John McDonnell will have after June 9th.

Must say I'm a little underwhelmed by the debates/participants, there. I understand it's incredibly tricky to book anyone of note so soon on the other side of a general election, but I did look at that line up and think 'meh'. That said, there'll be a lot going on in the morning/afternoon that isn't covered on that poster, so lots to play for!

9 hours ago, mjsell said:

Yes

Tnx for the info! That will do for now I guess :D

11 hours ago, simian_mobile_mushrooms said:

I only ever went to one debate at Glasto and that was about student fees and unfortunately there wasn't a whole lot of debate going on because it was all coming from people who pretty much just agreed with each other, which kind put me off it as for me its a bit pointless if people are just monologuing. Does anyone go more regularly and know if there's more opposing views normally and maybe it was just a singluar poor debate? Do they have people across the political spectrum or from diff schools of thought, basically?

When I was there in 2014, somebody asked a panel at Leftfield the same thing, although more accusatory. Something along the lines of: "why isn't there a greater breadth of opinion here?"

BB rather hastily blurted "it's LEFT field, mate. What do you expect?" and everybody laughed then clapped and Billy made a face. 

But it wasn't a bad question because there does seem to be a frustrating consesnsus reached, even within the left, where any criticism is seen as almost treasonous and jeers of 'Tory' get spat in that direction. It doesn't serve progressive debate at all and actually just made me a bit depressed with the state of things. 

Labour never won an election by Tory bashing but that seems to be Leftfield's go to a lot of the time. 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, kalifire said:

It doesn't serve progressive debate. 

Completely agree.

I'm generally in agreement of the ideas and opinions put across in Leftfield, but the should be described as discussions or conversations. 

12 minutes ago, kalifire said:

When I was there in 2014, somebody asked a panel at Leftfield the same thing, although more accusatory. Something along the lines of: "why isn't there a greater breadth of opinion here?"

BB rather hastily blurted "it's LEFT field, mate. What do you expect?" and everybody laughed then clapped and Billy made a face. 

But it wasn't a bad question because there does seem to be a frustrating consesnsus reached, even within the left, where any criticism is seen as almost treasonous and jeers of 'Tory' get spat in that direction. It doesn't serve progressive debate at all and actually just made me a bit depressed with the state of things. 

Labour never won an election by Tory bashing but that seems to be Leftfield's go to a lot of the time. 

One of the debates this year is on "Solidarity beyond the echo chamber" - maybe they're looking to address this issue? I doubt very much I'll be there to find out anyway...

But I get completely why it's not a place for all opinions. Isn't about recharging your batteries or something? It's supposed to be a place for likeminded people to come together and feel a sense of unity. So that you've got the energy to go back to your workplace/whatever re-enthused and ready to carry on the fight. 

and buy a Billy Bragg tea-towel 

• Upvote 2