What do you get from Glastonbury?

Simpo

4 hours ago, Quark said:

Just because I'm in a fucking fantastic mood this morning...

Choose a festival.  Choose a stage.  Choose a group of like-minded friends.  Choose a 5 day hangover.  Choose a dose of the fucking fear like you won’t believe.  Choose the heebie-jeebies, sleep paralysis, a new tent and camping chairs on a Monday morning. Choose scrofula, an eight day beard and kicky legs. Choose being inside with no barriers, no fences, no checks, no arena and no restrictions. Choose blisters and Glastonbury Toe.  Choose a total failure of your digestive system.  Choose dry spittle on your cheeks and sleeping bag from gurning during the wee hours. Choose getting so wasted that you piss yourself in front of strangers standing next to a bin without even realising that they’re watching and laughing at you. Choose hitting the South East Corner and wondering who the fuck you are on Sunday morning.  Choose sitting in that field watching spirit-lifting, mind-expanding performance art, stuffing fucking No Bones Jones into your mouth.  Choose resetting your equilibrium at the end of it all, heading home ready to spend the next 360 days discussing it on an internet forum, nothing more than an embarrassment to the people who’ve never been and have no idea what you’re on about.  Choose your future. Choose Glastonbury.

MEGA MEGA WHITE THING

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A distinct feeling that it's become too commercial, that the lineup is poor and that Kendal Calling and sziget festivals are better

:P

(note to person who down voted me, that was a joke reference to the inital post of this thread not my actual opinion;) )

Edited by Mr.Tease

If you have done Sziget together you have to think about what it does better, because you will know  sziget does a lot of the Glastonbury stuff very well too.

For me at Sziget I missed the 'undercard' - all those bands that don't make he top of the bill but you'd just love to see and somehow never did before. At Sziget I ended up seeing a load of stuff I'd never heard of and loving it, but I can do that at Glastonbury too as well as the stuff I have heard of.

The food is miles better at glastonbury - loads more choice and better quality.

You can take as much alcohol in as you like. 

I guess I thought sziget had loads of Glastonbury about it but with better weather, but somehow it was all a little too neat and tidy - even after all these years and the changing demographic, Glastonbury is just edgier, messier, somehow just more base I think. I like this and I missed it!

They both have a lot to commend them - but festivals like End of the Road and Beautiful Days do too. I don't think it is 'too commercial' but I do think glastonbury attracts a large number of posers now. I actually found the sziget crowd far more like old glastonbury tbh.

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I have absolutely no recollection of any ferris wheel. 

I think I saw it mentioned as a 2005 thing?  My first year and I've no recollection of it, equal chance of my memory being poor or me being wrong.  

One line email from our financial director at work this morning in response to me asking for some funding earlier in the week.

I've sat staring at it for ages considering whether the response I'd REALLY like to give will be 'career limiting' or not. 

It simply reads:

"Just what is it that you want to do?"

4 minutes ago, Woffy said:

One line email from our financial director at work this morning in response to me asking for some funding earlier in the week.

I've sat staring at it for ages considering whether the response I'd REALLY like to give will be 'career limiting' or not. 

It simply reads:

Oh my god. Twitching.

23 minutes ago, Woffy said:

It simply reads:

Ahahaha, superb. How can you not?

I hate these knobs who go on about glastonbury being `to commercal` of course its fucking commercal! you cant put on a festival of this size etc without some kind of commercal backing in the modern age! thats just the times we live in.

if people have a problem with a festival being commercal then theres pleanty that arent....but they wont be anything like the quality, size or have the variation that glastonbury does. besdies does being to `commercal` really affect your enjoyment of the week? 

Wife and mates tell me I've got rose tinted glasses over the place, so probably that. Maybe I have built it up in my head to be more than it is, but if I have that's only cos of the amazing times I've had there. There's just something about the place that I still can't put my finger on 15 years after me first. I'm not even a spiritual person or owt, but I get this feeling at the festival and in the town and up the Tor, that I've never had anywhere else. Hard to put into words, but best I can describe it is a sense of tranquility, assurance, belonging and contentedness. I find it cleansing. Even when the festival and the world is chaotic, I feel more at peace there than anywhere else. Course, saying this I don't think I've done the feeling I get justice, and I'm sure it's all well and convenient for anyone who thinks I've got rose tinted glasses to think we're talking Emperor's New Clothes here.

It's a great place to lose and find yourself if you're so inclined. I've got so many wonderful memories I've replayed in my head over and over. Maybe they could've happened elsewhere, but they didn't. I love the scenery around Somerset and the weirdness of the festival. Nobody's too old or too young, there's something for everyone. I love the activist side of the festival, the charity stuff, emphasis on recycling, the weird stalls around the Greenfields with all sorts of crafts and all the possibilities it brings. Some of the gems of performances I've stumbled upon at Glastonbury and the people you meet. Saying that, I'm not sure how much longer the all walks of life thing can go on with the economy and ticket and transport prices going the way they are.. Suppose it is becomming the John Lewis of the festival circuit, but I love it all the same.

1 hour ago, Woffy said:

It simply reads:

"we want to get loaded" (yeah!)

etc etc

1 hour ago, p.pete said:

I think I saw it mentioned as a 2005 thing?  My first year and I've no recollection of it, equal chance of my memory being poor or me being wrong.  

Definitely a ferris wheel there in the late '90s. It was the only place you could site down '97 & '98! Somewhere near the Cabaret tent, i think, or maybe further up towards Acoustic?

I get what is usually the best 5 days of my year - It's a holiday!

I've always enjoyed festival vibes, feeling like you are in a bubble away from the real world but Glastonbury is extra special. 

It's diverse and huge and full of people of all ages and backgrounds. I love the feeling of walking around the site on the first couple of days and I've never felt that anywhere else

Edited by gmb1992

On 4/3/2017 at 3:21 PM, PretentiousThinkpiece said:

nah reality was standing in the shower for 3 hours trying to get all the mud off, realizing that it's clogged the plug then spending 3 days in an existential crisis until it fixed itself

I just stood in the shower and cried for an hour, got out got dried stood there looked at myself got back in the shower for another good cry.

i was still picking mudd off for days 

14 minutes ago, shuttlep said:

I just stood in the shower and cried for an hour, got out got dried stood there looked at myself got back in the shower for another good cry.

i was still picking mudd off for days 

my mate who i went with took a video of me at 6AM when he woke me up. wish i still had it, i was a man broken beyond recovery