Must See?

the wonderwhy

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I was lucky enough to get a ticket in the resale, Anderson Paak, Katy P, Solange, Marling, Warpaint, Lanegan, Cinematic Orchestra would be a few options. Less of the "must sees" on there for some reason for me. Good few "returning" acts on there.

So who have I seen/will have seen on there by the time Glasto rolls around?

Foo Fighters, Ed Sheeran, Biffy Clyro, Royal Blood, Laura Marling, Haim, Warpaint, Metronomy, Annie Mac, London Grammar, Kaiser Chiefs, Circa Waves, Future Islands, British Sea Power, Frank Carter and the Rattlesnakes. Think that's all.

So, fifteen bands who - in theory - I'd be happy to skip in order to maximise seeing new artists.

Plenty of choice to be made...

2 minutes ago, DownboundTrain52 said:

So who have I seen/will have seen on there by the time Glasto rolls around?

Foo Fighters, Ed Sheeran, Biffy Clyro, Royal Blood, Laura Marling, Haim, Warpaint, Metronomy, Annie Mac, London Grammar, Kaiser Chiefs, Circa Waves, Future Islands, British Sea Power, Frank Carter and the Rattlesnakes. Think that's all.

So, fifteen bands who - in theory - I'd be happy to skip in order to maximise seeing new artists.

Plenty of choice to be made...

Does this not reduce the experience to musical train spotting? There's no way I'd miss, say, Radiohead again - even though I'm seeing them shortly after, to watch an act I like less but hadn't previously seen. It's not a criticism, everyone's different!

Solange

Anderson .Paak

DJ Shadow (Organ Donor at Glastonbury...not sure it gets much better than that)

Thundercat

So many more on the long list. The National are in my musical blind spot but judging by my trusted peers on here I'd should get listening.

Edited by OBface

If he turns up then Wiley. Out of the grime heavyweights he's the only one in this second popularity wave who has made a great grime album, as well as having a ridiculous catalogue to work with as well. He seems humble these days, so I'm hoping he makes up for his previous comments about the festival and goes all out at Glastonbury.

It'll be good to see Thundercat do his own thing. Having come out during FlyLo's set, though, the bar has already been set incredibly high.

Little Dragon are always great, Justice's new set up unsurprisingly looks amazing, Royal Blood (assuming their new album will be good), and of course Dynamo.

29 minutes ago, henry bear said:

Does this not reduce the experience to musical train spotting? There's no way I'd miss, say, Radiohead again - even though I'm seeing them shortly after, to watch an act I like less but hadn't previously seen. It's not a criticism, everyone's different!

Oh, some of those I'd definitely want to see again - Biffy are incredible live, as are Frank Carter. But there's so many acts I love on there who I haven't seen - Radiohead, Chic - and so many I quite like - The XX, The National, Katy Perry, Barry Gibb, Little Dragon, Toots - that I always find it perhaps better to highlight them so I have a chance to see them live at least once. In a sense, its trainspotting - but the only artist on there I'll have seen before who I would HAVE to see again as such would be Biffy - who I've already seen on this touring cycle.

If that makes any sense? Is that weird?

Apart from Radiohead I think my main must see would actually be Moderat. There one of the first acts I got into as my music taste expanded and I think they would be really fun to see live. Park headliner (like Jon hopkins 2015) would be ideal!

14 minutes ago, DownboundTrain52 said:

Oh, some of those I'd definitely want to see again - Biffy are incredible live, as are Frank Carter. But there's so many acts I love on there who I haven't seen - Radiohead, Chic - and so many I quite like - The XX, The National, Katy Perry, Barry Gibb, Little Dragon, Toots - that I always find it perhaps better to highlight them so I have a chance to see them live at least once. In a sense, its trainspotting - but the only artist on there I'll have seen before who I would HAVE to see again as such would be Biffy - who I've already seen on this touring cycle.

If that makes any sense? Is that weird?

Not weird at all! I do like seeing new acts and probably have an over-tendency myself to see the acts I like numerous times. Never seen Biffy so hopefully will check them out. You'll be in for a treat with Radiohead IMHO, but then I am biased!

33 minutes ago, henry bear said:

Not weird at all! I do like seeing new acts and probably have an over-tendency myself to see the acts I like numerous times. Never seen Biffy so hopefully will check them out. You'll be in for a treat with Radiohead IMHO, but then I am biased!

I'm probably biased towards Biffy. Yes, their later output can be quite meat and potatoes - but the conviction and fierce zenith with which they dispatch them sets them above their peers. Them subbing Foo Fighters is a gamble somewhat - they could very easily show up the headliner with their live prowess (having seen both, BC are better live - and I probably like FF more by a shade or so on record).

Looking forward to Thom and the lads though!