Jump to content
eFestivals is fund-raising

eFestivals has been here 20 years supporting festivals and festival goers. Without your support it will not continue as it has been.
Advertising used to pay the bills but advertising revenues are much less than they were.

Festivals: if you'd like us to continue to promote your event to our 650,000 monthly readers you'll need to give a helping hand.
Festival-Goers: if every visitor in just one day donated just £2, that would provide funding for a whole year.

You can donate or sign up for 'gold' (ad-free) membership, or you can contact the editor.
rzwodezwo

2019 Headliners

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Homer said:

I'm getting a horrible flashback to the 'Kasabian are better than Arcade Fire' thread of 2014...

Not a whole lot between them in fairness. AF stank the place out in 14. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Obviously they’ll get a bigger crowd than Radiohead because they’re a big people pleaser, but when has Glastonbury ever been about just that? With Glastonbury headliners you want a set for the ages that will be spoken about for years. The Killers did that in 2017 due to the nature of the intimate setting. This years set will be mediocre at best and forgotten about come Monday.

I think this sums it up.

The Killers will undoubtedly have a field of people singing along to their biggest boppers, but that’s where it ends. 

None of the 3 headliners are are going to be spoken about in the same way we chat about seminal sets from Blur, Pulp, The Stones and Radiohead (first time around). 

#yearoftheundercard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, The Nal said:

Not a whole lot between them in fairness. AF stank the place out in 14. 

I'm not getting involved! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Hey Ya! Outkast

This most definitely did not deserve a downvote, and, as someone who started her undergrad in 2003, I wholeheartedly agree. I think* in my first year flat we even had a dance we used to do to the "shake it" bit 🙈

*When I say "think", I quite clearly mean "know"

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

This most definitely did not deserve a downvote, and, as someone who started her undergrad in 2003, I wholeheartedly agree. I think* in my first year flat we even had a dance we used to do to the "shake it" bit 🙈

*When I say "think", I quite clearly mean "know"

 

Video! We need video!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I don’t see it that way. If anything, them headlining this year makes that 2017 much less special, and I feel like they were called in as a ‘shit, we’ve got no headliner, but we’re on good terms with The Killers so let’s get em booked’ rather than immediately post-2017.

Obviously they’ll get a bigger crowd than Radiohead because they’re a big people pleaser, but when has Glastonbury ever been about just that? With Glastonbury headliners you want a set for the ages that will be spoken about for years. The Killers did that in 2017 due to the nature of the intimate setting. This years set will be mediocre at best and forgotten about come Monday.

In terms of Pyramid headliners plenty of them are just big people pleasers. Muse, Adele Coldplay healdined the other year. Ed sheeran has headlined that sums it up to be fair. I disagree about it not being memorable, they're a dead good live band and will go down very well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, didinowanttohearthat said:

In terms of Pyramid headliners plenty of them are just big people pleasers. Muse, Adele Coldplay healdined the other year. Ed sheeran has headlined that sums it up to be fair. I disagree about it not being memorable, they're a dead good live band and will go down very well.

Wasn't regarded well last time they headlined, to be fair.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

This most definitely did not deserve a downvote, and, as someone who started her undergrad in 2003, I wholeheartedly agree. I think* in my first year flat we even had a dance we used to do to the "shake it" bit 🙈

*When I say "think", I quite clearly mean "know"

 

Haha we did this in our flat too. Prior to that we enjoyed a bit of bad boy for life.

Shudder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This was 100% lined up in connection to their secret set. Obviously if that set didnt go down well then this slot wouldnt be happening. 

The only pyramid headliner I'm considering attending is the cure, but the killers are the strongest headliner out of the 3. They're an uninspired booking and pretty much everyone who has wanted to see them has at this point. 

I give this booking 2 shrugs out of 5 on my newly formed shrug scale. 

1Jy4.gif

  • Upvote 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, MetaKate said:

As a millennial... our bohemian rhapsody was bohemian rhapsody. 

I didn't even know I was classed as an actual millennial being born in 85. This has depressed me but I agree with the point on Bohemian Rhapsody.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MetaKate said:

This was 100% lined up in connection to their secret set. Obviously if that set didnt go down well then this slot wouldnt be happening. 

The only pyramid headliner I'm considering attending is the cure, but the killers are the strongest headliner out of the 3. They're an uninspired booking and pretty much everyone who has wanted to see them has at this point. 

I give this booking 2 shrugs out of 5 on my newly formed shrug scale. 

1Jy4.gif

Is one shrug the worst or best?

I still regard this as the ultimate shrug...

Image result for partridge shrug gif

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

From about 38 minutes in

 

:lol:

 

the guy at TRNSMT absolutely bosses it tbf, 24mins in

they actually mention the guy at RW at the end of the song :lol:

 

 

Edited by ghostdancer1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Hugh Jass said:

Is one shrug the worst or best?

I still regard this as the ultimate shrug...

Image result for partridge shrug gif

It's not about the number of shrugs but the general emotion behind it.

tenor-1.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, TheFieryFurnace18 said:

Arcade Fire...why didn't they get booked on the suburbs tour

I always felt it was too late by the time they did it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Yokel Again said:

I always felt it was too late by the time they did it. 

If Reflektor had been seen as a success then it would’ve been right on the money, but it was the first sign of the cracks forming and so it probably wasnt all it could’ve been. I loved the set, but I was off my cake, right at the front and a mega fan at the time - a lot of others seem to think it was just alright, which maybe it was. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Yokel Again said:

I always felt it was too late by the time they did it. 

Too late? Doth the UK not love AF? They sold out the EN tour in Canada, are headlining fests still... I'm hoping for another album and another headline slot (as I missed the first one).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MetaKate said:

Too late? Doth the UK not love AF? They sold out the EN tour in Canada, are headlining fests still... I'm hoping for another album and another headline slot (as I missed the first one).

Pretty much regarded to be on the decline after Everything Now was largely a steaming turd. No chance they’re ever gonna headline Glastonbury again imo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

Pretty much regarded to be on the decline after Everything Now was largely a steaming turd. No chance they’re ever gonna headline Glastonbury again imo.

Could say the same about the killers after hot fuss

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, MetaKate said:

Too late? Doth the UK not love AF? They sold out the EN tour in Canada, are headlining fests still... I'm hoping for another album and another headline slot (as I missed the first one).

The general consensus is that the first three albums were great then it's been downhill from there. The album ranking is chronological.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, nikkic said:

I think this sums it up.

The Killers will undoubtedly have a field of people singing along to their biggest boppers, but that’s where it ends. 

None of the 3 headliners are are going to be spoken about in the same way we chat about seminal sets from Blur, Pulp, The Stones and Radiohead (first time around). 

#yearoftheundercard

meh, half the Pyramid headline sets are forgotten about fairly quickly. do people talk about Ed Sheeran's  2017 headline set in hushed tones? Coldplay or Muse the previous year? or indeed either of them the previous times they headlined in 2010/2011? Arctic Monkeys 2013? Florence 2015? Mumford? Arcade Fire? Kasabian? etc....

very few Pyramid headline sets are "seminal", and even then, outside of here, most people couldn't give a fuck.

A field full of people singing along to big boppers ( and/or bangerz) is generally what most people, including GFL, want.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bollocks - Arcade Fire are a mere spliit up and reform away from headlining again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

The general consensus is that the first three albums were great then it's been downhill from there. The album ranking is chronological.

I dont disagree (although I like EN better than reflector) I guess IMO they still have a strong album left in them and if that happens they'd be in contention again. Honestly their EN tour was one of the best shows I've seen. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...