2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

1 minute ago, LosingMyEdge said:

Not sure where he will slot in but I'd bet good money on George Ezra getting a slot, possibly subbing the Pyramid

Think a lot of people have him down for a third down the Pyramid slot, possibly after the Sunday legend, based on nothing other than him seeming like a boring safe choice to appeal the post-legend masses.

5 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Think a lot of people have him down for a third down the Pyramid slot, possibly after the Sunday legend, based on nothing other than him seeming like a boring safe choice to appeal the post-legend masses.

I reckon they'll be pushing for a sub, 2nd best selling album of the year behind Greatest Showman, full sold out extensive arena tour

Just now, stuartbert two hats said:

Nah, they've dropped a place at least. That third album needed to do the business for them to stay top tier form years to come. It didn't and they're not.

I think they're in a similar position as The Killers where they're still selling big ticket numbers/scoring number one albums etc but have also fallen into irrelevancy, so whilst they're still big enough to headline, it just won't happen. They aren't gonna be appearing as a sub any time soon imo unless it's as the mythical fourth headliner.

6 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I think they're in a similar position as The Killers where they're still selling big ticket numbers/scoring number one albums etc but have also fallen into irrelevancy, so whilst they're still big enough to headline, it just won't happen. They aren't gonna be appearing as a sub any time soon imo unless it's as the mythical fourth headliner.

The Killers seem to have seen quite a resurgence in popularity though. 

1 minute ago, rzwodezwo said:

The Killers seem to have seen quite a resurgence in popularity though. 

I don't think they ever really fell off that much did they? People just seem to have consistently loved those four songs from the first album since it's release and so they've stuck it out at the top despite generally diminishing returns with their albums. I don't imagine Mumfords will have quite the same level of staying power but I guess time will tell, as what with their announced ginormous tour it doesn't look like they expect to drop off any time soon.

Just now, FloorFiller said:

Maybe, seems they've fallen out of favour more than The Killers, but I take your point.

I'm 40, what do I know?

21 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

The Killers have way more staying power because they've cemented themselves through supplying an enviable handful of massive rock songs that will sit forever in the collective cultural canon. Probably the last rock band who will ever reach the classic tier. Even if they release an album of shite every 6 years until Brandon croaks it, they'll fill stadiums and headline festivals the world over in support of it. 

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

Sheeran played that slot after Dolly a few years back which is what my thinking is based on.

34 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Nah, they've dropped a place at least. That third album needed to do the business for them to stay top tier form years to come. It didn't and they're not.

Honestly, I think there's some blinkers on here. Despite the trajectory no longer being upwards, they're still a much bigger act than names frequently mentioned as headliner possibilities on here.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

The Killers have way more staying power because they've cemented themselves through supplying an enviable handful of massive rock songs that will sit forever in the collective cultural canon. Probably the last rock band who will ever reach the classic tier. Even if they release an album of shite every 6 years until Brandon croaks it, they'll fill stadiums and headline festivals the world over in support of it. 

Supplying me with cans at festivals and saving me the trouble of fighting The Killers' corner. Hero.

Edited by Odessa

26 minutes ago, henry bear said:

They remind me more of Travis - big selling album with plenty of singalongs for the Radio 2 crowd, huge for a while (and capitalised on this by headlining the Pyramid) but later settled for a more selective fan base.

Not that selective. Their last album - despite being written off as a flop - sold nearly half a million copies in this country, they're still headlining festivals around the globe and have announced a huge arena tour which will probably sell well and even if it doesn't, it'll likely be too late to affect the headlining festivals.

I think they'll do IOW because it's the one big festival they haven't done here but their likely touring schedule and good relationship with Glastonbury should really put the willies up folk.

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

Not that selective. Their last album - despite being written off as a flop - sold nearly half a million copies in this country, they're still headlining festivals around the globe and have announced a huge arena tour which will probably sell well and even if it doesn't, it'll likely be too late to affect the headlining festivals.

I think they'll do IOW because it's the one big festival they haven't done here but their likely touring schedule and good relationship with Glastonbury should really put the willies up folk.

Maybe you're right, I've not really looked at the numbers, they just seem to have fallen out of the popular consciousness these days. Maybe I did hear they songs everywhere, but that last album sounded so anonymous I didn't realise.

How many records does a headliner normally sell? I'm guessing a Moon Shaped Pool didn't sell over 500,000

4 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

How many records does a headliner normally sell? I'm guessing a Moon Shaped Pool didn't sell over 500,000

The point often raised here about how well an artist’s last album did is not really relevant for classic/legendary acts. I don’t suppose the likes of the Stones sell that many albums these days, but it doesn’t affect their pulling power.

• Like 1

Nah Mumford and Sons won't be playing Academies any time soon. Don't get me wrong, they're shite, but for some reason they are pretty well liked. You look at the size of the bands that can do multiple nights at the likes of Manchester Apollo (The National, The War On Drugs, Christine and the Queens), and it's hard to envisage Mumfords even dropping to being on their level, never mind even further. Again, fuck knows why.