2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

3 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

They had to massively drop prices a couple of years ago to shift tickets for BST, £2.50 tickets agogo. That was with a strong undercard too.

What's the capacity of APE, though, compared to BST? Surely The Strokes are a better bet for selling tickets than any of last year's headliners, minus maybe Nick Cave? Plus I don't think the BST undergrad was that great for fans of The Strokes. They're hardly likely to be big Beck fans. Stick em on at APE with someone like Interpol below them and it makes a lot more sense.

1 minute ago, Gucci Piggy said:

What's the capacity of APE, though, compared to BST? Surely The Strokes are a better bet for selling tickets than any of last year's headliners, minus maybe Nick Cave? Plus I don't think the BST undergrad was that great for fans of The Strokes. They're hardly likely to be big Beck fans. Stick em on at APE with someone like Interpol below them and it makes a lot more sense.

The capacity of APE is 40,000 so probably half of BST roughly, I have no doubt they could get close to selling that out. I thought the conversation was around their suitability as a Glasto headliner?

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

The capacity of APE is 40,000 so probably half of BST roughly, I have no doubt they could get close to selling that out. I thought the conversation was around their suitability as a Glasto headliner?

Tbf weeks ago people were roundly dismissing The Cure as a Glastonbury headliner and now they’re the safest bet.

Blur had to drop prices too like.

Oh yeah I agree they couldn't headline Glasto. Neil's post you replied to was about them headlining APE so I thought you were talking about their suitability to headline that, apologies!

2 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

I reckon they're definitely a bigger draw than Nick Cave. The XX surely were too. Have no idea how fast tickets went in comparison or if the Cave day sold out but surely they were more popular at a London festival in 2018 than Cave. 

Just now, The Martini Police said:

I reckon they're definitely a bigger draw than Nick Cave. The XX surely were too. Have no idea how fast tickets went in comparison or if the Cave day sold out but surely they were more popular at a London festival in 2018 than Cave. 

The Cave day sold out and the previous year he sold out a full arena tour including The O2, if I'm not mistaken. It surprised me but it seems to me like he's a bigger ticket shifter than The Strokes would be right now.

3 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Tbf weeks ago people were roundly dismissing The Cure as a Glastonbury headliner and now they’re the safest bet.

Blur had to drop prices too like.

I think most if not all of the BST gigs dropped their prices that year, IIRC the pricing was pretty ridiculous for each gig. Think Blur was about 75 quid with a pretty weak undercard (by way of comparison it was 55 notes three years prior for a bill that included The Specials and New Order too).

I was at both Blur and The Strokes that year and everyone at The Strokes seemed to have gotten in on the cheap.

The other problem The Strokes have these days is that nobody cares about anything they've done since Room On Fire, think their sets these days are just everything off Is This It then a couple of singles from the other albums.

EDIT: Except for Juicebox of course, which is a stone cold banger.

Edited by Hugh Jass

4 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

The other problem The Strokes have these days is that nobody cares about anything they've done since Room On Fire, think their sets these days are just everything off Is This It then a couple of singles from the other albums.

EDIT: Except for Juicebox of course, which is a stone cold banger.

I recall Under Cover of Darkness getting a huge reaction in Hyde Park. If they still actually played gigs they could get away with doing album cuts from the other albums easily. But in playing to more casual fans at festival crowds, it’s Is This It and singles.

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

I recall Under Cover of Darkness getting a huge reaction in Hyde Park. If they still actually played gigs they could get away with doing album cuts from the other albums easily. But in playing to more casual fans at festival crowds, it’s Is This It and singles.

I remember an hour long diatribe from my mate about the merits of Comedown Machine. I listened to it afterwards and decided it was bollocks.

I remember an hour long diatribe from my mate about the merits of Comedown Machine. I listened to it afterwards and decided it was bollocks.

One Way Trigger is a banger, I'm in no rush to see it live though.

They should play Wink live. Twice.

Coming from somebody who was too young to listen to them when they emerged and only discovered them years later, I think there is a lot of interest in them among my peers who like me may have not had the chance to see them live yet, so no worries they wouldn't sell loads of tickets anywhere they perform.

2 minutes ago, nysmaw said:

Coming from somebody who was too young to listen to them when they emerged and only discovered them years later, I think there is a lot of interest in them among my peers who like me may have not had the chance to see them live yet, so no worries they wouldn't sell loads of tickets anywhere they perform.

Plus if they get the same resurgence as Interpol, YYY’s and LCD then they should be at their biggest for fifteen years when they come back.

To put us back on track, I think they could still have headlining Glastonbury in their future but the change in those odds are probably down to one person putting a fiver on it - it won’t take much to move odds in that market.

3 hours ago, Gucci Piggy said:

The Cure are not going to play as non-headliners. They're The Cure ffs.

If they're gonna be playing Glasto tho they are on the smaller end of headliners (especially in recent years). If they already can't do the Friday, then they could sub Macca instead (at least its under someone as big and reputable as Macca. Got no idea what their egos are like to kniw if they would take the step down like, but its not comoletely stupid...)

I don't think it is likely to happen, but if the information is correct that they are playing then that is the best slot I can think of for them rn

• Downvote 2

Just now, Mattymooz said:

If they're gonna be playing Glasto tho they are on the smaller end of headliners (especially in recent years). If they already can't do the Friday, then they could sub Macca instead (at least its under someone as big and reputable as Macca. Got no idea what their egos are like to kniw if they would take the step down like, but its not comoletely stupid...)

I don't think it is likely to happen, but if the information is correct that they are playing then that is the best slot I can think of for them rn

The Cure headline literally every festival they play, the world over. It's nothing to do with ego, they just have no reason at all to play below headliner - it's like asking Kasabian or The Killers to sub R&L, they're not going to accept it and they've no reason to consider it. The Cure sold out BST last year in one of the quickest times I've seen, and several of the acts who've struggled to sell tickets for it recently could headline Glasto.

What day they play barely makes any difference - as others have said, the main thing that determines what day a headliner plays will be their availability, not which day they're most suitable for. If the Eavii want a trio of The Cure, Arctic Monkeys and Paul McCartney, in that order, and then find out The Cure are busy on the Friday, they're obviously more likely to try and just swap them with one of the other two rather than shunt them down to a sub slot and find someone else to headline who wasn't in their first choice trio.

I can understand the arguments people have against them headlining Glasto. But if they don't headline, they're not gonna play. They're not gonna take a slot below headlining and they have no reason to.

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

Plus if they get the same resurgence as Interpol, YYY’s and LCD then they should be at their biggest for fifteen years when they come back.

To put us back on track, I think they could still have headlining Glastonbury in their future but the change in those odds are probably down to one person putting a fiver on it - it won’t take much to move odds in that market.

I don't think Julian's dress sense helps.  I saw em in the early days and they were far better in nice cut suits than looking like something from Hawaii 5 O

1 hour ago, Gucci Piggy said:

The Cure headline literally every festival they play, the world over. It's nothing to do with ego, they just have no reason at all to play below headliner - it's like asking Kasabian or The Killers to sub R&L, they're not going to accept it and they've no reason to consider it. The Cure sold out BST last year in one of the quickest times I've seen, and several of the acts who've struggled to sell tickets for it recently could headline Glasto.

What day they play barely makes any difference - as others have said, the main thing that determines what day a headliner plays will be their availability, not which day they're most suitable for. If the Eavii want a trio of The Cure, Arctic Monkeys and Paul McCartney, in that order, and then find out The Cure are busy on the Friday, they're obviously more likely to try and just swap them with one of the other two rather than shunt them down to a sub slot and find someone else to headline who wasn't in their first choice trio.

I can understand the arguments people have against them headlining Glasto. But if they don't headline, they're not gonna play. They're not gonna take a slot below headlining and they have no reason to.

I was just thinking how they could slot in given Neils info about them (and Macca) playing and the Rock Wertcher announcement. I could see a world in if they were desperate to play they would take sub (have no idea how old they are to know if they're thinking of splitting up soon and this'd be the last time to do Glasto?)

So at this point do you just think they're not playing then and Neils info is wrong?

24 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

I was just thinking how they could slot in given Neils info about them (and Macca) playing and the Rock Wertcher announcement. I could see a world in if they were desperate to play they would take sub (have no idea how old they are to know if they're thinking of splitting up soon and this'd be the last time to do Glasto?)

So at this point do you just think they're not playing then and Neils info is wrong?

Well the obvious way for them to slot in is for them to headline the Saturday, or headline the Sunday with Macca on the Saturday. They've headlined Glastonbury three times and aren't so old that they'll be looking to call it quits anytime soon (unless they just decide to stop randomly).

No, I think the info is correct and they'll headline the Saturday or Sunday. Then being ruled out of the day that seemed to make the most sense for them isn't enough for me to think solid-sounding info is incorrect (Neil even said earlier he's more confident in the Cure info than the Macca info). It's much more likely that they just headline a different day.