2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

2 hours ago, The Martini Police said:

Elton headlines for me alongside AM and Macca. 1975 might have to wait. 

Yeah I don’t see 1975 playing 2020, they could sub this year and come back in  2021 with another album and headline. I was thinking the same for Stormzy before he was announced headliner 

*Should have caught up on the rest of the thread before posting! 

Edited by Ged Devereux

1 hour ago, kalifire said:

Only Emily’s already said that a lot of the bigger acts they wanted have deferred until 50th. Gave me the impression they could have their pick next year.

It doesn’t make sense though really, does it? The 50th is important to the festival, but it won’t have more people attending. It won’t have more television coverage. The best they’d get is association with an anniversary year so maybe slightly more press, but acts that are massive wouldn’t need that. 

I took it to mean, "our headliner's this year aren't the biggest, don't get your hopes up" and was using the 50th anniversary as a sorta get out of jail free card

50 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I 75% get this joke but my point was if they legitimately have given it to the strokes, I’d find it surprising if the 1975 wouldn’t be asked (reading aside)

I reckon the 1975 might have shot themselves in the foot a bit with their plan. If they held for Glasto this year they might of got the slot. I can’t see them being harder to arrange than an American band.

whereas for 2020 you have no idea what priority headliners are lined up before them

Yeah I agree that they could easily have been booked for it if they weren't tied down elsewhere.

I still think they have a great chance in 2020 and if not they'll probably just be booked when they release their next album in 2021 or whatever.

2 hours ago, jyoung said:

What's that's got to do with the price of fish?

It's the 50th yeah but they can't magic Led Zeppelin out of their arse. The fact they're headlining R&L this year means nothing with regards to preventing them from headlining Glastonbury 2020 imo.

Name me another headliner that has headlined R&L then headlined Glastonbury the following year?, Muse are the only act nearly to have done another UK festival on the 2nd year of the album and that's probably only because it was Download and not such as issue. It'll be 2021 imo.

2 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

The big anniversary line ups...
10th - There wasn't a festival ?
20th - The Cure; Happy Mondays; Sinead O'Connor 
30th - Bowie; Travis; Chemical Brothers
40th - Gorrillaz (replacing U2), Muse, Stevie Wonder.

Tbf though the original of U2, Muse and Stevie Wonder...probably Prince saying no but even still Stevie is huge.

47 minutes ago, mufcok said:

The 1975 sub is out the window, Noel back in.

Moves at some pace in here

Was never going to happen, not when they are outright headlining, co-headlining might have been different.

2 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Why not exactly? There's a very good chance they'll be the biggest band on the planet this time next year, and they've already expressed a desire to play the festival. If they're available why wouldn't they be booked?

Biggest band on the planet this time next year...what world are we living in here? Only the 3rd line-up on Lolla Paris, 4th down at Werchter.

3 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Muse are the only act nearly to have done another UK festival on the 2nd year of the album and that's probably only because it was Download and not such as issue. It'll be 2021 imo.

The 1975 are gonna have another new record out this year though, aren't they?! Tbh I'm with @Hugh Jass, if a band is available and want the gig, they'll get booked. There isn't an endless pool of headliners to pick from and half of the pool is always inactive so...

4 minutes ago, jyoung said:

The 1975 are gonna have another new record out this year though, aren't they?! Tbh I'm with @Hugh Jass, if a band is available and want the gig, they'll get booked. There isn't an endless pool of headliners to pick from and half of the pool is always inactive so...

More than entitled to your opinion but I think it'll be wrong.

15 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Name me another headliner that has headlined R&L then headlined Glastonbury the following year?, Muse are the only act nearly to have done another UK festival on the 2nd year of the album and that's probably only because it was Download and not such as issue.

?????? What's the difference

2 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

The big anniversary line ups...
10th - There wasn't a festival ?
20th - The Cure; Happy Mondays; Sinead O'Connor 
30th - Bowie; Travis; Chemical Brothers
40th - Gorrillaz (replacing U2), Muse, Stevie Wonder.

I may be wrong but the only ones they made a big deal about were the 25th anniversary one in '95 (which was really the year where Glastonbury stepped up in terms of 'wow' game after the previous year's tv coverage....1995 was first year of US radio stations broadcasting it) and the 40th in 2010

45 minutes ago, tevaburger said:

I may be wrong but the only ones they made a big deal about were the 25th anniversary one in '95 (which was really the year where Glastonbury stepped up in terms of 'wow' game after the previous year's tv coverage....1995 was first year of US radio stations broadcasting it) and the 40th in 2010

To be honest though, 25th and 50th are a big deal, 40th they made a thing about but 20th and 30th aren't really a major deal. You don't go big on your 20th and 30th birthday like you would on your 25th or 50th, you'd go bigger on your 21st.

• Downvote 1