2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

3 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

What mate? Arcade Fire are the better band but there's no denying The Strokes have more songs the Pyramid crowd will know.

If the crowd had literally never listened to either band then sure. But you'd argue the average Glasto goer has at least a basic knowledge of the headliners big songs, in which case I'd say there's more recognisable ones across AF's (at the time) 4 albums than across The Strokes' 4. 

5 minutes ago, Superunknown said:

If the crowd had literally never listened to either band then sure. But you'd argue the average Glasto goer has at least a basic knowledge of the headliners big songs, in which case I'd say there's more recognisable ones across AF's (at the time) 4 albums than across The Strokes' 4. 

I think you're confusing this forum with the average Glastonbury goer to be honest.

As someone who is a big Arcade Fire fan, and who The Strokes passed by, I would think many more of the regular Glastonbury goers I know in real life would be able to name/recognise a song by The Strokes.

Edited by strummer77

1 minute ago, Superunknown said:

Really? I can't see how Arcade Fire have more well known songs than Last Nite, Someday, Hard to Explain, Reptilia, 12:51, Juicebox to the general public.

I obviously can't vouch for it myself (I was 5 when their debut came out) but according to people in here they were absolutely everywhere when they were at their peak and you couldn't go to an indie club night or whatever without hearing them. I dunno if you're just not grasping how massive they were when they released those first two albums or what.

The people I'm talking about are those who have no idea who Arcade Fire are and stand through the whole Radiohead set only recognising Creep and Karma Police, not people who are actively into indie music. People who would only recognise Wake Up in an entire Arcade Fire set but would surely recognise at least 3 of the above Strokes songs.

The Strokes have 8 top 40 UK singles whilst Arcade Fire have 4. The Strokes have 2 top 10 singles (12:51 and Juicebox) whilst Arcade Fire have 0.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

The Strokes have 2 top 10 singles (12:51 and Juicebox) whilst Arcade Fire have 0.

I can't believe of all their songs, it's these two. 

3 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

I obviously can't vouch for it myself (I was 5 when their debut came out) but according to people in here they were absolutely everywhere when they were at their peak and you couldn't go to an indie club night or whatever without hearing them. I dunno if you're just not grasping how massive they were when they released those first two albums or what.

You still can't.

1 minute ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Really? I can't see how Arcade Fire have more well known songs than Last Nite, Someday, Hard to Explain, Reptilia, 12:51, Juicebox to the general public.

The people I'm talking about are those who have no idea who Arcade Fire are and stand through the whole Radiohead set only recognising Creep and Karma Police, not people who are actively into indie music. People who would only recognise Wake Up in an entire Arcade Fire set but would surely recognise at least 3 of the above Strokes songs.

The Strokes have 8 top 40 UK singles whilst Arcade Fire have 4. The Strokes have 2 top 10 singles (12:51 and Juicebox) whilst Arcade Fire have 0.

Yeah, I suppose. Naturally, all my evidence will be anecdotal so I'm just going off what me and my friends do so just assumed most people going would at least know Rebellion, No Cars Go, My Body is a Cage, Sprawl II, Reflektor etc. I'd have just imagined if you intended to go to a headline set you'd at least give the band a cursory listen. 

You're right though, there's no denying The Strokes have the songs to do it, especially, if as you say most aren't really into indie music as much as I'm assuming. 

6 minutes ago, The Martini Police said:

I can't believe of all their songs, it's these two. 

You still can't.

Yeah init. When I scrolled across to see which songs it was I was expecting Reptilia (because I could tell one was too low down the list to be from Is This It) and probably Last Nite/Someday.

Edit: And yeah true, they're on every time I go to Leadmill (which is like twice a year tbf). They're also always played in my SU pub whose playlist is basically what you get in indie clubs.

Edited by Gucci Piggy

4 minutes ago, Superunknown said:

Yeah, I suppose. Naturally, all my evidence will be anecdotal so I'm just going off what me and my friends do so just assumed most people going would at least know Rebellion, No Cars Go, My Body is a Cage, Sprawl II, Reflektor etc. I'd have just imagined if you intended to go to a headline set you'd at least give the band a cursory listen. 

You're right though, there's no denying The Strokes have the songs to do it, especially, if as you say most aren't really into indie music as much as I'm assuming. 

Honestly don't think I'd have ever heard any of those bar maybe Rebellion and Reflektor if I didn't actively listen to Arcade Fire. And even with Reflektor I probably wouldn't know it was by them, I just sometimes hear it being played in shops and shit like that.

24 minutes ago, giantkatestacks said:

In the interests of research I had the album on while painting yesterday. It is a perfectly ok indie album. Very one note in tone though and I only recognised 3 songs.  In fairness I think I was too old when it came out.

Me too.  I'd lived through shoegazing, then Britpop and I wasn't really up for anyone bringing back guitar music.  I don't think I really enjoyed a contemporary guitar band until the Arctic's debut and I finally got Doves around the same time. 

Arctic Monkeys doesn't feel right this year for me, and I say that as big fan of them and the latest record.

2020 with another record, or at least few singles, to go with TBHC feels right. 2007 they had 2 albums under their belt, 2013 another three albums. To just add 1 more then headline again would be a little bit odd. 

I still standby that they are one of the two acts who 'requested' 2020, I'm going AM for 2020. 

Edited by mufcok

1 hour ago, thrillhouse188 said:

To a general audience, The Strokes are almost certainly more recognisable that Arcade Fire, especially in the UK

Very much so, unless you're a fan of Arcade Fire you almost probably won't name a song unless one randomly comes to your head. The Strokes however, you will have heard enough to know 3 or 4.

1 minute ago, thewayiam said:

Very much so, unless you're a fan of Arcade Fire you almost probably won't name a song unless one randomly comes to your head. The Strokes however, you will have heard enough to know 3 or 4.

Yeah, from experience when I got into AF in around 2012, I vaguely recognised two songs, Wake Up and Sprawl II, almost certainly both from some kind of bbc montage or something 

15 minutes ago, Phoenix Girl said:

I like the way Arctic Monkeys are creaping back into everyone’s heads again after dismissing them 300 pages ago ?.

I still think most evidence points to Strokes but maybe AM after them. There’s been zero intel on Gaga as gutting as that is.

The lifespan of headliner predictions

- Initial far-off predictions are conservative and unexcitable; it's going to be Arctics or Muse or Coldplay again

- T-day happens and ticket-holders get giddy, start hyping up some great white whale like Madonna or Fleetwood Mac or Paul McCartney

- Time put the lid on the white whale and people start grasping at bands who are blatantly not viable or don't even fucking exist in some cases

- Level heads prevail and we realise it's going to be Arctics or Muse or Coldplay again.

• Upvote 5

5 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

The lifespan of headliner predictions

- Initial far-off predictions are conservative and unexcitable; it's going to be Arctics or Muse or Coldplay again

- T-day happens and ticket-holders get giddy, start hyping up some great white whale like Madonna or Fleetwood Mac or Paul McCartney

- Time put the lid on the white whale and people start grasping at bands who are blatantly not viable or don't even fucking exist in some cases

- Level heads prevail and we realise it's going to be Arctics or Muse or Coldplay again.

It’s the eFests rollercoaster.

Im sort of hoping it is Lady Gaga with Strokes being sub headliner now. Unlikely but that way I can go see the Strokes then go see Wu Tang. 

Chemical Brothers provides an extra headache but Ive seen them before so I can miss them and not be too gutted, though if they dont miraculously clash with anything then happy days as well.

Edited by chatty