2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

12 hours ago, ghostdancer1 said:

while I've no doubt that Liam will be in a higher position than last time, I don't think he'll be subbing the Pyramid.

3rd Pyramid or Other sub is about as big as he can hope for IMO. i just don't think he has the "depth" for acts that have recently been booked in that slot.

could see Noel & HFB subbing the Pyramid though, enough solo hits and a few Oasis covers, and as big as plenty of other recent subs. don't think Noel has necessarily dropped off, but he's certainly plateaued.

I can’t see Liam personally doing anything but sub the Pyramid, he has had a great run off his solo album, a sold out arena tour last December and then a sold out Finsbury Park and LCCC in Manchester as well as Parklife, IOW and TRNSMT. That’s quite the run of shows and a hell of a lot of people.

love or hate the man, he’s been very popular this year and last. 

Cant think of any band in the past few years of Glastonbury that have quite achieved that much and been anything less than subbing. 

1 minute ago, uscore said:

Liam also seems quite "in" with Glastonbury.  He did the Pilton party this year. 

I didn't really enjoy his set last year, but I would also be surprised if he got less than the pyramid sub.

It would be funny if he was subbing Noel though.

Could you just imagine the onstage rant knowing Noel was coming on after, be worth seeing him for that alone 

I don't think as things stand it's worth even contemplating Noel being above Liam on the bill.

Popularity for Liam performing solo has never been higher.

Admittedly folks are only really going to watch the Oasis songs but the ones he drops are crowd pleasers whereas Noel's are more for the chair brigade.

I used to love Noel but he comes across as a right tit these days, spends the majority of his gigs winding up the crowd. He will claim he's just having "banter" with them but just made him look like a tit. His brother is no better though but at least he's honest about it :lol:

1 hour ago, mufcok said:

No chance are The Cure agreeing to take any other slot apart from Pyramid headliner

Yup. Robert Smith has made it very clear  in interviews they won't play less than 2 hours and that they won't do anything other than headline gigs/festivals. 

Tbf to them, I understand. They been around for decades and feel they've earnt the right to those terms. Whether they get a crowd or not is the bookers problem, not there's. 

Edited by zahidf

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

That seems to be the current thinking, however a lot of us suspect that one of those is off. My suspicion is that AM is wrong.

I'm hoping AM is wrong. Can't put my finger on why but it just feels wrong.  Although I've got the same issue with AM as I did with White Stripes, just feel like it's all a bit emperor's new clothes.

Preparing to be shouted down in 5....4....

3 minutes ago, Quark said:

I'm hoping AM is wrong. Can't put my finger on why but it just feels wrong.  Although I've got the same issue with AM as I did with White Stripes, just feel like it's all a bit emperor's new clothes.

I don't like them either, always found them exceedingly dull.

19 minutes ago, Quark said:

Not 2 bands I'd expect to be lumped together, feels like you just wanted to let everyone know you don't like The White Stripes ahah.

26 minutes ago, Quark said:

I like AMs, I just don’t think they’ll be there next year.

5 minutes ago, priest17 said:

Not 2 bands I'd expect to be lumped together, feels like you just wanted to let everyone know you don't like The White Stripes ahah.

An opportunity presented itself :lol:

I didn't mind the Stripes in the same way I don't mind AM, but with both of them I just really really struggle to understand where the acclaim comes from. In that context they sit in the same weird little corner of my brain.

• Like 1

Artic Monkeys just seems a bit "done", doesn't it? 3 times in 12 years... I'd much prefer the Cure and altho they've also headlined before, it was nearly 30 years ago. If the AM are still around in 28 years they have my complete backing to do it again. Seems as if they're doing over 20 headline slots or whatever NME said they're nailed on imo. I'm not a big BIG fan of them, but they could be worth an hour standing in the rain singing along to the Forest.

Why can't Glasto take a massive risk with someone? It's gonna sell out anyway, no one cares THAT much about the headliners do they? Apart from the fine folk on this board obvsiouly ?

7 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Why can't Glasto take a massive risk with someone? It's gonna sell out anyway, no one cares THAT much about the headliners do they? Apart from the fine folk on this board obvsiouly ?

They did take a risk on a headliner,  they got a huge ton of negative comments from everyone, Emily got death threats and another act they have been chasing for years and probably one of their biggest ever bookings pulled out of the festival that year.

22 minutes ago, Divein said:

They did take a risk on a headliner,  they got a huge ton of negative comments from everyone, Emily got death threats and another act they have been chasing for years and probably one of their biggest ever bookings pulled out of the festival that year.

Did she actually get death threats for booking him? I knew she got berated for it but didn't know people were being as moronic as that. 

I'd also probably class Adele as a risk. Even if she was the biggest possible booking they could have done at the time- she hadn't done a festival before and could easily have dropped out leaving them right in it. They could have pushed Tame Impala/Beck or Foals up though but again they would have been a risk. 

You could then argue elton John would be a risk at the rate he cancels shows, they would surely need a strong sub to step up. Listening to just the beginning of that mccartney video a few pages back, I still don't understand the clamour for him to play. Not being ageist here, saw the stones this summer and they were fabulous, and look like they enjoy playing still - not just going through the motions. 

Have 2 safe crowd pleasers and give one not so safe or bump someone up. I know Royal Blood have lost a lot of love on this board for some reason, but personally thought their set the best I saw 2017, another album maybe and stick 'em on.