Legends Slot

TunaBaby

Tony Bennett is playing Royal Albert the Tuesday and Wednesday after Glastonbury..

Any space for 1 more legend?

edit: also, just realize maybe this could add more fuels to the Lady Gaga rumours? Maybe an appearance during Gaga's set, they did a collaboration album a few years back

Edited by defrio29

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem for this slot now is that Dolly and Lionel changed it into a 100,000 person karaoke and as ELO proved last year - there are very few artists who can deliver this. Required one singer/band with - lots of catchy popular songs that everyone knows and a larger than life personality. 

Time to scale expectations back or we are looking at Take That, Robbie Williams territory.

34 minutes ago, Harry49 said:

The problem for this slot now is that Dolly and Lionel changed it into a 100,000 person karaoke and as ELO proved last year - there are very few artists who can deliver this. Required one singer/band with - lots of catchy popular songs that everyone knows and a larger than life personality. 

Time to scale expectations back or we are looking at Take That, Robbie Williams territory.

Let's face it, we're just all holding out hope of an ABBA reunion for this very spot.

ELO put on the finest musical performance of the last few years in this slot - but shy of Mr Blue Sky, they have no karaoke classics.

Cher would be the perfect kind of artist to plug this gap IMO, but that could be just me.

7 minutes ago, DownboundTrain52 said:

Cher would be the perfect kind of artist to plug this gap IMO, but that could be just me.

Ever since the untimely death of George Michael, Cher has been my number one choice for the slot. Think she's too busy posting emojis and typing in caps on Twitter though.

5 minutes ago, DownboundTrain52 said:

Let's face it, we're just all holding out hope of an ABBA reunion for this very spot.

ELO put on the finest musical performance of the last few years in this slot - but shy of Mr Blue Sky, they have no karaoke classics.

If ABBA ever reformed (unlikely to say the least) the ticket demand would be absolutely enormous - can't see them doing it for an afternoon slot on the farm, as fitting as it would be. 

Cher would work, see also Tina Turner, Barry Manilow, Carole King, Carly Simon and a few others I'm sure. 

17 minutes ago, DownboundTrain52 said:

If they ever reformed and played the festival (they won't and wouldn't) Abba would headline.

I think they should get the Butthole Surfers in for this. Could bash out a great set:

1. Sweet Loaf

2. Jingle of a Dogs Collar

3. Tongue

4. Pepper

5. Cough Syrup

6. The Shah Sleeps In Lee Harveys Grave

7. Mexican Caravan

8. American Woman

9. Booze, Tobacco, Dope, Pussy, Cars

10. The Annoying Song

11. Human Cannonball

12. Creep in the Cellar

13. I Saw An X-Ray of A Girl Passing Gas

14. Who Was In My Room Last Night

15. Ballad of the Naked Man

Absolute classic setlist that would go down as an all time clinic in music. 

Edited by chatty

50 minutes ago, Untz said:

Ever since the untimely death of George Michael, Cher has been my number one choice for the slot. Think she's too busy posting emojis and typing in caps on Twitter though.

Sure seems that way, doesn't it? Well, we can but dream...

50 minutes ago, henry bear said:

Cher would work, see also Tina Turner, Barry Manilow, Carole King, Carly Simon and a few others I'm sure. 

Would Carole King work? I sense that could be a case of people knowing less than they did for ELO. I'd take Tina (if she came out of retirement) in a heartbeat, and ditto Carly Simon.

47 minutes ago, strummer77 said:

If they ever reformed and played the festival (they won't and wouldn't) Abba would headline.

Hence we hold out in hope! :D

8 minutes ago, strummer77 said:

Elton headlines as well to be honest. His setlist at Bestival would have gone down amazingly well.

I enjoyed his set, but I don't think he paced it well. It seemed like the beginning was too just a bit too slow and lacking of his bigger hits. Needs some Lion King too.

I should add, I'd rather he headline than legend it, but would be happy with either.

Edited by Untz

3 hours ago, DownboundTrain52 said:

This is indeed an interesting one. The Legends slot - particularly with the last three - has achieved the "Fourth Headliner" status. Can't remember who it was before Dolly but the last three are all arena artists with sell out tours - not too dissimilar in ticket figures than, say, Radiohead or Kasabian. There's certainly a shout to say that in '15, Lionel had sold more tickets for his UK tour prior than The Who did for theirs (The Who's Leeds Arena show the winter before was not a sell-out, or it certainly didn't look like it).

Elton - who for some reason, plays a lot in obscure football stadiums - is probably as big a live pull across the board as Radiohead. So yes, we could very easily stake him as a headliner. But it's whether he'd rather plump for the Sunday afternoon - which in '14 and '15 was the most attended set of the weekend. I reckon he'd pull more mid-afternoon in a Legends slot in daylight because he wouldn't have to clash with headliners in the night.

See also; Rod Stewart, former headline act who is topping the bill at IOW but would probably be much better suited to the Legends slot at Glastonbury. Likewise, Bryan Adams - artist who sells out arena tours easily, but you wouldn't consider to headline Glasto, yet could do justice to a Legends slot.

Huh. Bryan Adams would be fantastic actually. I'm going to go bang out a setlist for him now.

There is no fact to this but as a Watford fan I know he played a gig at vicarage road years ago to basically stop us going into administration. I don't remember him doing many before that, so I don't know if it's because he thought the one at Watford went really well and it was a good idea, so he did loads more.

Anyway, saw his set at Bestival and it was great, he's about as near to legend slot perfection as you can get. Surely he just needs sitting down and explaining it's actually bigger than the headline slot and he will do it.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

2 hours ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

There is no fact to this but as a Watford fan I know he played a gig at vicarage road years ago to basically stop us going into administration. I don't remember him doing many before that, so I don't know if it's because he thought the one at Watford went really well and it was a good idea, so he did loads more.

Anyway, saw his set at Bestival and it was great, he's about as near to legend slot perfection as you can get. Surely he just needs sitting down and explaining it's actually bigger than the headline slot and he will do it.

Huh, was that his first? I knew of the Watford connection, but still, that's pretty neat.

Someone tell him, it would be fantastic.

6 hours ago, DownboundTrain52 said:

1. Can't Stop This Thing We Started
2. Run to You
3. One Night Love Affair
4. Heaven
5. Please Forgive Me
6. Kids Wanna Rock
7. When You're Gone
8. Everything I Do (I Do it for You)
9. It's Only Love
10. Here I Am
11. All For Love
12. Somebody
13. Cuts Like a Knife
14. The Only Thing That Looks Good On Me Is You
15. Summer of '69

Cheesy, cheery, great for a Sunday afternoon.

Headlining the Saturday at cornbury, only going because my wife loves him but I reckon I'll bloody love it too.

2 hours ago, giantkatestacks said:

People know way more Carole King than they do ELO. They usually know half of Tapestry through covers.

Blimey, you're right. I didn't think I knew any, but just checked on Spotify and I know about 4 of them before I even played them. None recorded by her.

It's like she did a load of demos for artists to record fully and then put them out as an album.

12 hours ago, shuttlep said:

If he played that on the pyramid everyone would be there and it would  go down in Glastonbury folklore .. one of them sets when everyone says "I was there"

Yep. That's cos he's one of the greatest artists in history. Elton on the Pyramid would absolutely take the piss. Even the people who'd just pop along constantly going "oh shit, I forgot he did this song?!" would be blown away. Going to see him on 7th June, I've been waiting a long time for it! 

June's gonna be a serious month.