Legends Slot

TunaBaby

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Who's john fogerty? Tell me some songs i might know. I've no idea who he is but in my head i'm getting the words 'workmanlike blues rock'

Track list from Ultimate CCR:

Disc: 1

1. Proud Mary
  2. Born On The Bayou
  3. Bad Moon Rising
  4. Good Golly Miss Molly
  5. Up Around The Bend
  6. Suzie Q
  7. Fortunate Son
  8. Midnight Special
  9. Who'll Stop The Rain
  10. Run Through The Jungle
  11. Hey Tonight
  12. Wrote A Song For Everyone
  13. Sweet Hitch-Hiker
  14. Before You Accuse Me
  15. Commotion
  16. My Baby Left Me
  17. Bootleg
  18. Pagan Baby
  19. (Wish I Could) Hideaway
  20. Cotton Fields

Disc: 2

1. Travelin Band
  2. Don't Look Now
  3. Down On The Corner
  4. It Came Out Of The Sky
  5. Lookin' Out My Back Door
  6. Born To Move
  7. Green River
  8. I Put A Spell On You
  9. Have You Ever Seen The Rain?
  10. Molina
  11. Long As I Can See The Light
  12. Hello Mary Lou
  13. Tombstone Shadow
  14. Lodi
  15. Walking On The Water
  16. The Night Time Is The Right Time
  17. Someday Never Comes
  18. Porterville
  19. Lookin' For A Reason
  20. I Heard It Through The Grapevine

2 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Hehe, and pajama bottoms too. Real passion killers.

https://www.johnfogertymerchandise.com/pajama-pants.html

just read his wikipedia page. Nothing i recognise, aside from the Quo cover, i'm aftraid. It's the sort of thing i've no idea about, cos my folks didn't play it as i was growing up.

2 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

A quick check of wikipedia shows 4 UK top 10 singles for CCR vs. 15 for ELO.

That's not really the best indicator of which are more well known now.   I certainly feel like I hear a lot more Creedence than ELO.  It's standard pub jukebox fair, easy listening enough for Radio 2 and credible enough for 6 Music, it's a rare month goes by without stumbling across something.  Whereas Mr Blue Sky aside how often to you hear ELO?

29 minutes ago, mcshed said:

That's not really the best indicator of which are more well known now.   I certainly feel like I hear a lot more Creedence than ELO.  It's standard pub jukebox fair, easy listening enough for Radio 2 and credible enough for 6 Music, it's a rare month goes by without stumbling across something.  Whereas Mr Blue Sky aside how often to you hear ELO?

Don't Bring Me Down, Evil Woman, Sweet Talkin' Woman, Livin' Thing - heard all those on the wireless/in film or television in the last year or so (granted, films don't necessarily have to be this last year). Add to that tracks such as All Over The World, Shine a Little Love and even the recent tracks like When I Was a Boy. They all get a lot of Radio 2 action - and that's really the sort of station that plays right into the Legend Slot.

I was initially excited at the prospect of ELO last year, but by the time June came along I'd changed my mind; their R2 gig in Hyde Park just didn't seem to connect.

Lionel in 2015 on the other hand was magnificent; everything a legends slot should be. A huge crowd singing along, with the performer truly getting it; magic.

Incidently, whilst ELO were playing we were up at The Park watching Nathaniel Radcliffe & Co; fantastic afternoon. Great burger on completion from the burger vendor LHS of Park stage (can't remember their name); didn't touch the sides :)

47 minutes ago, mcshed said:

Yeah, I'm not saying a lot of CCR's songs aren't standards.  It's the lack of star power that would make it a disappointing booking.  It's the one featured highlight of any festival that's not just anout the music.  Making it purely about the songs would be to rob it of a lot of what makes it special.