Glastonbury 2016 - In Retrospect

CaledonianGonzo

7 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

i can only speculate that there can't be too much difference in taste between a colossal dog turd and some blue cheese and mushroom soup 

opposite for me, i indulged more as sitting in the bar was easier than walking to anything.

That was lovely soup mate I tell thee

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The mac and cheese wasn't as good as I'd hoped, but it did work on wet afternoon.

Toastie from the truck at the top of Big Ground was a little pricey but I didn't find it dry, and that was on Monday morning when I had no moisture left in my body!

47 minutes ago, mjsell said:

I approach this in the complete opposite direction. When I'm at a festival in bad weather/conditions I intentionally get as drunk as possible so that I dont care about it all, whens its sunny and dry I dont try, it just happens naturally.

Yeah I think the crowd is much more lethargic in hot years like 2010. This year most people seemed to be going absolutely mental to try and rise above the mud. 2007 was exactly the same.

Some of the crowds were shit, ELO springs to mind, but that's just down to the acts being shit, than the weather. The crowd for LCD soundsystem for example was utterly wondrous, and they were last up on sunday when you might have thought people would have been fatigued by the mud. But not a bit of it.

Best thing is to just steer clear of old fogies who cant cope with the mud. Vibe-killers. Another good reason to offer cut price tickets to students, (but to try and discourage the well-off ones).

1 minute ago, Tartan_Glasto said:

As someone who's a combination of fussy mixed with having to avoid a lot of foods due to dietary requirements, I survived off Annie's Mac & Cheese and pizza from a place near Pyramid. Along with a bacon roll each morning from the wee van just outside Pylon (the café inside was a total rip off).

christ I wouldnt want to follow you into the bog

I'd have to go along with those describing it as a middling one. The main factor for me was the mud, it was simply too much of a slog to nip between stages and I will not lie, it curtailed my plans somewhat. Other than the Rum Shack on wednesday night I avoided the SE corner as it was just unnavigable for me.

That said, I did see a load of great bands, only Band of Horses disappointed me. Musically I thought it was excellent, I particularly enjoyed John Grant, Muse, St Paul & the Broken Bones, and the Ozrics. The highlight being sunday night when we did double up on EW&F for an hour then headed off for the end of LCD which was simply triumphant. I was also in excellent company and it looks like most will try and return next year.

I've been at Glastonbury's where it has rained during the festival but the ground always recovered, should I be lucky enough to get a ticket next year I'll be keeping an eye on the weather BEFORE the festival with keener interest.

44 minutes ago, Tartan_Glasto said:

In dry years you totally take for granted just being able to sit down anywhere. Well, I previously did anyways. I think after this year I'll never take dry ground for granted ever again.

I was the same, I found myself loitering near seats hoping people would leave!

9 minutes ago, Alvarhanso said:

I was the same, I found myself loitering near seats hoping people would leave!

Try taking @Tartan_Glasto with you, with a diet like that for 5 days I reckon yer man could clear you a space :lol:

Subnote - Mrs Q suffers from a number of dietary issues so you have my sympathies Tartan ;)

2 minutes ago, mungo57 said:

I never seemed to have a problem finding seats/somewhere to stand and lean apart from the last night watching EWF. All the flagpoles were taken bar one and I volunteered to let the GF's dad (61) use that as his leaning post :P

Standing up or even having a good lean is fine with me, unfortunately my girlfriend is another story and feels the need to sit down after about ten minutes. Id feel sympathy for her but its just pure laziness on her behalf!

5 hours ago, waterfalls212434 said:

The best food on site and definitly best for hangovers has been the dorset blue soup company. Massive bowl of blue cheese and mushroom soup with a wedge of bread the size of half a loaf! 

They werent there last year, maybe thats why it only got a 7/10 for me? haha hopefully theyll be back for 2017

Blue cheese and mushroom soup when you're hungover?!? What sort of alien life form are you?? If I even looked at that when hungover id get sick.

2016 in retrospect? Well it was my first so I don't really have anything to compare it to! I'm encouraged by some people saying it was tough or probably their worst because that means next year can only be better! It wasn't the first muddy festival I've been at and the mud didn't bother me that much but I'm young and in good shape so even on Sunday night I was still running around the SE corner not a bother on me. But I can see how if you're older or less mobile it could have been tiring. I think its funny to see how in the immediate aftermath some people said they wouldn't bother next year but fast forward a few months and they've all changed their tune, everything looks better in hindsight I suppose and maybe the fallow year had a bearing on that too. The only bad part for me was the comedowns in the mornings combined with the rain on my tent meant I was sluggish and reluctant to get up and do things, but that was largely self inflicted I suppose. Nah I had a fucking great time, hopefully next year there'll be less mud and it'll be even better.

25 minutes ago, Hotchilidog said:

I'd have to go along with those describing it as a middling one. The main factor for me was the mud, it was simply too much of a slog to nip between stages and I will not lie, it curtailed my plans somewhat. Other than the Rum Shack on wednesday night I avoided the SE corner as it was just unnavigable for me.

That said, I did see a load of great bands, only Band of Horses disappointed me. Musically I thought it was excellent, I particularly enjoyed John Grant, Muse, St Paul & the Broken Bones, and the Ozrics. The highlight being sunday night when we did double up on EW&F for an hour then headed off for the end of LCD which was simply triumphant. I was also in excellent company and it looks like most will try and return next year.

I've been at Glastonbury's where it has rained during the festival but the ground always recovered, should I be lucky enough to get a ticket next year I'll be keeping an eye on the weather BEFORE the festival with keener interest.

you'll be in good company here :lol:

Looking back it was ok. I saw some wonderful stuff. Will get a grilling no doubt but Travis were really quite brilliant. Overall though my worst glastonbury. The journey there. The set up. The mud. The "meh" performances. Brexit. The fatigue. Just made it all really hard work.

And cos its efests, heres a list:

1) 2010

2) 2009

3) 2013

4) 2011

5) 2014

6) 2015

7) 2016

Really hoping that i buck the trend thats clearly developing.

Me and my girlfriend absolutely loved it! That probably was mainly due to it being our first Glastonbury, so the mud sort of added to the feeling of relief when we'd find somewhere interesting or new after loads of walking, we were so in awe of every little thing that nothing could dampen our spirits. Seeing LCD Soundsystem, Ronnie Spector and Beck (even if the crowd was shite) are memories I don't think I'll ever forget, but mainly finding hidden little bars, trying different drinks, food, listening to loads of weird and wonderful new sounds just makes me grin thinking about it! I'm so excited for next year (tickets permitting). 

I knew it was a turkey of a year by Wednesday mid afternoon, no need for 3 months hindsight. Similarly by Friday night in 2009 I knew it was one of the greats.

The traffic fuckery invalidates it as a vintage year - never mind the meh weather.

2016 worst by a long way. 10hrs in a queue, effing Brexshit, mud stopping stage hopping and a lot of meh bands, having to be towed out. Apart from PJ Harvey, I gotta purge that one out of the system. But, La Grande Bouffe did me a custom sausage/mash/gravy thing and all was lovely.

Every other year has been fabulous - for loads of different reasons - can't compare them - all fab.

This year was my second year after last year and the difference was like night and day. I got my ticket in the coach resale and was trying not to be too gutted that I was missing the Wednesday, I wanted to wander the site and go to the meet up. But this kind of worked in my favour when I saw how much devastation the mud caused for people trying to get on site, then for me to stroll straight in Thursday lunchtime with a smug grin on my face.

The mud just made everything so much harder, last year I loved chilling on the grass in front of the stages in the sun but that just wasn't an option this year.

Last year I felt like you could just get where you want, when you want. SE corner, no problem. But this year it took a lot of planning and missing the end of acts to get to other acts on time or to even get into SE corner altogether.

It didn't seem to dampen the spirits of anyone in my group too much though, I thought it was a bit of a shame as there were a load of new people in our group and they didn't see it at its best but most of them are trying for tickets again so its all good! 

I found there were loads of good acts both years though!

And I tried grand bouffe for the first time this year which I thoroughly enjoyed! The most succulent sausage I have ever tasted! (Keep your innuendos to yourselves!)

I think every year will be so different, I was comparing this year to last year and some parts didn't live up, but some parts exceeded my expectations so from now I will just be taking every year for what it is!

2 hours ago, The Red Telephone said:

If you like shit chips, poor-quality cheese, stale bread, Supermarket own-brand ketchup and mayonnaise then I guarantee there is no better way to spend £5.

That said, I did enjoy the initial thrill of it.

The Growler is great for loading up on carbs for a whole day's drinking though. Had one just after James on the friday and didn't need to eat again all day.

1 hour ago, Madyaker said:

It wasn't the first muddy festival I've been at and the mud didn't bother me that much but I'm young and in good shape so even on Sunday night I was still running around the SE corner not a bother on me. But I can see how if you're older or less mobile it could have been tiring. 

Bloody cheek!!!!  Come within range so I can clobber ye without having to run!

Seriously though I think the tiring thing for me wasn't so much physical as mental.  After schlepping through the crowds and mud for 3 days I just lost the will to keep making the effort.  And I'm pretty happy my fitness is way up there from your average Glasto-goer.

1 hour ago, fatyeti24 said:

you'll be in good company here :lol:

Did someone mention a weather thread? :ninja:

Edited by Quark