Elbow

MilkyJoe

4 minutes ago, Cooter said:

Sorry, didn't mean to sound offensive and if you love them then good for you. 

4 minutes ago, Cooter said:

...it's an obvious swindle and fuk knows why they have any fans at all. My 10 year old Boxer dog can sing better than that bloke.

:D

I'm intrigued as to why you think it's a swindle? It's not like they're pretending to be something they're not, they're not trying to con anyone. They just play music they like and have found an audience that enjoys it. 

You may find it boring and I get that, I understand why people don't like them but there's plentry worse on offer at Glastonbury, just go watch something else. 

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Elbow. Not only that, I like the newer albums more than the older stuff.

And I'm not ashamed to admit that In think Seldom Seen Kid is their best album, or that I like Lippy Kids.

I don't like them enough to buy a ticket on their tour, but I like them enough to see them at Shepton next year should we both be there.

Edited by stuartbert two hats

9 hours ago, Cooter said:

Sorry, didn't mean to sound offensive and if you love them then good for you. I like all sorts of music and I'm fully aware Elbow are an acquired taste, but I reckon I know when a band is taking the total piss and Elbow imo definitely are. The Pistols did it very well but Elbow do it badly, it's an obvious swindle and fuk knows why they have any fans at all. My 10 year old Boxer dog can sing better than that bloke.

I think they've really gone to shit, but his voice is decent isnt it?

(garvey, not your boxer)

• 3 months later...

Been listening to them on Chris Evans' show this morning, just gorgeous. They did Divorce, Magnificent, Sad Captains and Wonderful World. I don't care if anyone finds them boring, I love 'em and want them there, preferably Other headliner.

Going to give the new album a listen once I get off this bloody conference call.

Just now, Gnomicide said:

Been listening to them on Chris Evans' show this morning, just gorgeous. They did Divorce, Magnificent, Sad Captains and Wonderful World. I don't care if anyone finds them boring, I love 'em and want them there, preferably Other headliner.

Going to give the new album a listen once I get off this bloody conference call.

I don't think any of the newies have connected with me to date. Nothing as instant as lets say "Unwind" from the solo record.

Just now, Gnomicide said:

I would be very tempted to join you.  I don't care that their set in 2014 was by all accounts a less special carbon copy of the last time they subbed - for me it was the first time I'd seen them at Glastonbury and it was glorious.  Guy Garvey seemed to have that special talent of singing directly to each member of the audience for thousands of people at the same time.  Or at least, that's how it seemed to me.  

I'm pretty unusual in liking the last couple of albums just as much as, if not more than the earlier work.  Not massively struck on the new singles (particularly the first two), but if there are no clashes, I expect I'll be there for Elbow.

I personally really like the new album and can't wait to see them again in Plymouth next month. Hope they are at the farm again this year.

loved the sets in 2011 and 14

Edited by Earthwindandfire2205

1 minute ago, Earthwindandfire2205 said:

I personally really like the new album and can't wait to see them again in Plymouth next month. Hope they are at the farm again this year.

Despite just writing a post declaring my love for all things Elbow, I didn't realise the album was actually out!  So, to clarify, earlier when I said "last couple of albums", I meant Take Off And Landing and Build A Rocket Boys.

Listening now, ta!

Edited by stuartbert two hats

3 minutes ago, paddyclark said:

Elbow headling at Kendal Calling 2015 was a beautiful experience....  He gets his crowd...  So many performers cant be arsed to..

Would be a good Park Headliner...  

But One day like this on the Pyramid is a very Glastonbury moment..

That man does know how to get a crowd in the palm of his hands, stood on stage with his wellies on jeans caked in Mud still performing better than most ever will be able to .

and you just know he's still not sober from the night before.

6 minutes ago, Doug85 said:

If they headline the Other stage are they more likely for the Saturday? I'd be quite upset with a Radiohead clash.

'Fraid not. It's Friday or nothing for Elbow as they're busy on the sat and sun on their forest tour.