Thank You eFestivals

stuartbert two hats

Mine are:

Walking boots - don't think I went with a brand recommended here in the end, but the motivation to go and get some was definitely after reading these threads

Tarp hat! Spotted at least one other tarp hatter, but I lacked the nerve to say anything in case they were a non-eFestivals tarp hatter (there could be such a thing I suppose). Will try harder next year...

My Saturday morning breakfast combo of kedgeree from the Goan Fish Curry stand and Anna Meredith. Lovely stuff.

And the bag on the hook thing. No, I don't know what I did before and it seems so obvious now I could cry, but there you have it.

Thanks eFestivals!

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boots - I didn't buy walking boots but my son did after I advised him to. He strode through the mud with the smuggest of grins all weekend, I managed to fall twice and leave a boot behind once. I have walking boots but not the sort that could stand up to that level of mud. Next year (tickets depending) I'm making a solid investment in a decent pair.

Tent - I have a decent three man tent with a good size porch but it was a struggle with two of us in it. I want to get a new one that I can stand up in for next year. Was it @LondonTom who got the High Gear one? Need to look into that further.

Meets - Too late for the meet :(

Hook - I was thinking about this, I must have dove it before but never thought about it, don't remember ever having a problem in the past. 

10 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Just bought this. Not put it up yet but looks the business for 60quid. Was dubious as not a name i know but it's a glastonbury only tent as our decent tent weighs a tonne and half. Our glastonbury tent finally died this year - not left behind though before anyone asks. 

Officially four manner, decent size porch and not very heavy. http://www.charliesdirect.co.uk/wild-camping-cambrian-4-tent.

Not quite stand up tall in but easily stoopable at just under five foot. Which is better than our previous lay-down only. 

Looks similar to my Gelert Tornado 3 which has been serving me well since 2011, done about 12 festivals in it. Still going strong and will probably last a few more years but the thought of being able to stand up or even sit in a chair in the porch is tempting. The Hi Gear one is currently £179 so will be looking to see if they reduce in price.

1 minute ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

You could definitely sit in the porch in the one I've just bought. It's about a foot higher than that Gelert. 

Cheers. I'll probably start looking properly next year as my only festival left this year is a holiday camp one and we'll be in a static caravan (probably a good job as it's in November) but I'll bare it in mind. 

Brilliant thread, some long overdue but most sincere thanks to efests and everyone here for:

First and foremost: TICKETS!

While it arguably remains largely a matter of luck, I'm convinced I would not have been able to get tickets in the April resale this year without the tips regarding auto-refreshers shared here. 

Walking boots:

The wellies v boots discussions here swung me towards boots before my first Glastonbury last year, and I have had no regrets.

Bag on a hook:

This has been ingrained in my mind so much that I spent several minutes trying to hang my backpack on those thin latches that close the compost loos, without success, before noticing they actually have actual coat hooks...

2 hours ago, hfuhruhurr said:

thanks to the beverage of choice thread, the pineapple gin was brilliant. Plus white russians - superb way to start the day.

My blueberry vodka (made of the idea of pineapple gin) worked out so well I've now got another batch along with black cherry.

Secret set peeps - massive thanks

Camping gear - again - the lenor bottle a brilliant idea!

Plus the music threads helping to steer me in the right direction.

Pineapple gin was an incredible success again for me :)

who else indulged, was it @Gnomicide maybe 

3 hours ago, Festival Liam said:

What the fuck was everyone doing it with their bag before?? Clutching it while sitting?? Risking the floor? Making little loo roll platforms for it? Squeezing it next to you and hoping it didn't topple in when you forgot to hold it standing up? Making your mates hold it? 

never need a bag , i just go in the loo !!

Milk Thistle is some kind of magic. I didn't use it myself but my girlfriend who suffers from the worst hangovers I have ever witnessed did and consistently woke up fresh as a daisy. Her hangovers are usually so bad that in 2014 she got so drunk on the Thursday night she was ruined for Friday and Saturday. This year she woke up fresher than me and I have some kind of immunity to hangovers.

Bag on the hook - usually going to the toilet involves the usual "can you hold these while I go to the loo?". NOT THIS YEAR!

Next year I'm investing either in some proper comfy wellies or walking boots. Big toes are only just regaining feeling and the pain in my heels only departed this week.

Bin bag to remove the wellies. Never even considered this before but such an easy way to avoid being covered in mud. 

The charity bin auction. Been going since 2007 and never knew about this before. Thanks @Dantasticglasto for my 40th birthday llama in wellies bin. I loved the hunt for it and the pure joy of discovering it on the Wednesday before it got muddy. 

This forum is fantastic for general chit chat and tips. Keeps me going between Glastoburys.

Tarp hat

Hook for my bag - previously rucksack stayed on shoulders but far easier with a hook.

Long life milk triangle things from Tesco

Folding bucket

Lynda's loaf  oh that thought is making me hungry.  I wasn't expecting it to be hot. I just like cheese bread.  Sat eating it with a beer in The Spike was wonderful.

Gardening gloves

Bag on a hook and boots here too. Did my first year in boots last year after heavy lurking of the walking boots thread and felt like I had all the stamina in the world because of it!

I did S-hooks 3 years ago, didn't end up using them for the toilets but came in handy for hanging up wet clothes on the fence between Woodsies and the John Peel staff camping to dry off in the sun.

I think my previous lurking here might also have persuaded me into getting an air bed - again, another thing that changed my whole festival experience for the better!

4 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Oh yeah, bringing pre-mixed white russian mix and buying fresh ice cold milk in the morning was an absolute revelation, as @The Orgazoid will confirm.

i must've missed all the talk of this this year but damn, i am so doing it next year. why have i never thought of it before!?

9 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

i must've missed all the talk of this this year but damn, i am so doing it next year. why have i never thought of it before!?

I can't remember who suggested it but it was an absolutely great shout. We did them on the Friday morning and it sorted me right out for the rest of the day

13502115_10153494489100213_693526421659448213_n.jpg

I'm drinking red wine, watching the Godfather, pretending to be in the Pilton Palais.

My thanks are for the posts I read, informative and/or entertaining, you lot (OK it's a lot of red wine), information about stuff to see and do in Glastonbury (made raku pots this year), and a lot of information about bands I've heard about or never heard of and am now enjoying. Immensely. Cheers!

Tarp hats B)  I oi-oi'd one other tarp hat wearer, but they looked at me like I was quite mad so I didn't oi-oi anyone else I'm afraid. Didn't notice many others though, which is nice: let's keep it underground! :lol:

13 hours ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

I can't remember who suggested it but it was an absolutely great shout. We did them on the Friday morning and it sorted me right out for the rest of the day

13502115_10153494489100213_693526421659448213_n.jpg

Go on then, who's got the best recipe for these aforementioned white russians?