Tickets solding out faster and faster

mirupuu

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, The Nal said:

Yeah something like that. Shrank over a couple of years I think? Mainly bar hopped in 07. Still had a great time but I know a few people who haven't returned since!

As I mentioned earlier, our numbers fell from 20 to 5 after 2007, most never to return. (Have 2 of them back for the first time this year).

15 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

He means the Stevens version of Shaky, not Shakey.

I seem to remember a bloke down the front with an enormous home-made green door, that even opened up. (Or so I was told?)

Later I saw the same bloke rather miserably wandering round site, dragging the same door behind him.

"Hey - it's Green-Door Man!", I exclaimed. "Good work".

"Two bloody days", he replied, "It took two bloody days to make and he didn't even play it.". And off he trudged.

Edited by Fishman

3 hours ago, dingbat2 said:

A really muddy year or two would dampen demand significantly I think. Like 2007. I am sure that is half the reason it took do long to sell out in 2009. After 2005 (muddy and flooding to start off), 2007 (complete quagmire) and 2008 (quite muddy if I remember correctly) then some people got tired of the whole struggle of going to Glasto

I can remember a lot of posts on here after 2007 from Glasto regulars saying "never again" after three days of mud and rain. A real struggle that year

Doesn't take a lot, even now, for that to happen again. A couple of hours of persistent heavy rain and thousnads of feet trampling underfoot and the whole site turns to mud. I think most people can cope with that, but if it rains the whole weekend as well then that really puts people off from going again. Especailly as its shown on TV - it will put off waiverers. I think the drainage improvement only really stops the flooding, I dont think it does much to prevent mud if there's a lot or rain and people walking around at the same time

It's hard to get your head round, because they happened at consecutive festivals, but 2005 and 2007 were both freak weather conditions for that time of year, likely not to be repeated in our lifetime (arguably so was 2010).

2007 was constant rain the entire festival, including plenty of heavy downpours. Even if that weather did happen again, the drainage system is now improved so theoretically it shouldn't ever be that bad. 2005 was the entire average rainfall for the month of June over the course of Thursday night. 2005 of course looked far worse than it was (unless your tent was one of those destroyed). We'd had a dry Weds/Thurs and it was warm enough that most of the mud was dried again by Sunday. But all the images of course are of the huge areas flooded immediately after the downpour.

On 19/04/2016 at 9:27 AM, DareToDibble said:

It's been interesting reading this thread as it never occured to me they might throttle the speeds (though it sounds like that probably doesn't happen as much - if at all - any more).

Out of curiosity, why would they want to do that? Surely it looks better for the festival if it sells out in 10 minutes than 24 hours?

Because it's all about love and peace man and giving more of us a chance.

On ‎20‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 5:09 PM, Muppetmark said:

i have too many newbies coming this year with me to wish that just yet xD

I can't believe anyone would wish for this year to be awful just to hope that would make it easier to get tickets in future, I'd always rather this one be brilliant.

I've certainly been to years with some rubbish weather and then found it challenging to get them the following years, I don't think it directly correlates.

Also, if russy thinks Kanye was better than Jay-z, he and I are clearly on different pages.  I loved the latter but found little to enjoy in the former so we chipped off to another stage.

2 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

While obviously no 2007, 2011 was also a bit of a washout and I don't recall that making getting tickets for 2013 any easier.

Exactly, it was only a bit of a washout - not "I've-got-better-things-to-be-spending-my-money-on" grim. 

Also, fallow year fades the memory too.

28 minutes ago, miffmiffy said:

After 2007 it sharpens the resolve, a bit of rain in other years is just that. I don't remember any of the year's after 2007 being bad at all!

That's the scary thing.  We're getting overdue for either a totally dry festival (2003/2010) or a right pisser (1997/1998/2007).  Not that probability works that way, but it's still unnerving that 2007 level rain is so long ago.

I've missed a few festivals in the last few years, but 2011 is probably the worst since 2007, is that the general consensus?  

Edited by stuartbert two hats

3 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

That's the scary thing.  We're getting overdue for either a totally dry festival (2003/2010) or a right pisser (1997/1998/2007).  Not that probability works that way, but it's still unnerving that 2007 level rain is so long ago.

I've missed a few festivals in the last few years, but 2011 is probably the worst since 2007, is that the general consensus?  

Yes. Rain as the gates opened, then dry, then rain from Friday afternoon to Saturday afternoon, fucking freezing at night and then really hot on Sunday.

11 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

We've got one more year until the deluge:

97-07-17

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I think that in 2011 it was wet Friday and into Saturday morning, but nice and sunny from then on. (Although, I don't remember it being wet during Radiohead in the Park).

I like to think 2007 as a one off.

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

We've got one more year until the deluge:

97-07-17

It didn't rain during the actual main part of the festival in '97. Had hosed it down for two weeks right up until the Thursday which meant sloshy mud on Friday, squelchy mud on Saturday and 'orrible soul-sapping sticky mud on Sunday.

Far wetter in '98.

Yikes .... 98-07- errm. Ignore me