Tickets solding out faster and faster

mirupuu

1 hour ago, septemberwillow said:

Wasn't 2009 the year of the first October ticket sale? So actually Oct 2008. Plus we got our tickets at about 8.50am as the link was already up and working :lol:

Yes this was my first year.  Booked at 8.30am.  It didn't sell out though as I remember seeing my sister and brother around 6 weeks later and they still had time to register and the buy following a conversation with me about it.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This mad scramble for (desirable) tickets isn't unique to Glasto, mind. Gotta be all sorts of reasons for it, from people having children older, people maybe valuing experiences over possessions, rise of the £50 man and so on.

Sure sales accelerated after the first tv broadcasts, but it's a reasonable bet that in this day and age of that social media that they have now that the word would still get out.

5 hours ago, The other Bellboy said:

Sorry @gooner1990 but i just remembered 2009 differently so i have done a little bit of research and the below links paint a different picture, i think the 8 weeks mentioned in the history page may refer to something else - resale maybe?

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2009/feb/03/glastonbury-festival-2009-sells-out

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2008/oct/06/half.glastonbury.2009.tickets.sold

Glastonbury 2009 definitely took a few months to sell out. I purchased a ticket for a friend in January.

A really muddy year or two would dampen demand significantly I think. Like 2007. I am sure that is half the reason it took do long to sell out in 2009. After 2005 (muddy and flooding to start off), 2007 (complete quagmire) and 2008 (quite muddy if I remember correctly) then some people got tired of the whole struggle of going to Glasto

I can remember a lot of posts on here after 2007 from Glasto regulars saying "never again" after three days of mud and rain. A real struggle that year

Doesn't take a lot, even now, for that to happen again. A couple of hours of persistent heavy rain and thousnads of feet trampling underfoot and the whole site turns to mud. I think most people can cope with that, but if it rains the whole weekend as well then that really puts people off from going again. Especailly as its shown on TV - it will put off waiverers. I think the drainage improvement only really stops the flooding, I dont think it does much to prevent mud if there's a lot or rain and people walking around at the same time

The last few years we have been relatively lucky with the weather, there has been some mud, but not enough to put people off

And this year the weather will be perfect, I am sensing a slightly cooler version of 2010!

:D

6 minutes ago, dingbat2 said:

A really muddy year or two would dampen demand significantly I think. Like 2007. I am sure that is half the reason it took do long to sell out in 2009. After 2005 (muddy and flooding to start off), 2007 (complete quagmire) and 2008 (quite muddy if I remember correctly) then some people got tired of the whole struggle of going to Glasto

I can remember a lot of posts on here after 2007 from Glasto regulars saying "never again" after three days of mud and rain. A real struggle that year

Doesn't take a lot, even now, for that to happen again. A couple of hours of persistent heavy rain and thousnads of feet trampling underfoot and the whole site turns to mud. I think most people can cope with that, but if it rains the whole weekend as well then that really puts people off from going again. Especailly as its shown on TV - it will put off waiverers. I think the drainage improvement only really stops the flooding, I dont think it does much to prevent mud if there's a lot or rain and people walking around at the same time

The last few years we have been relatively lucky with the weather, there has been some mud, but not enough to put people off

And this year the weather will be perfect, I am sensing a slightly cooler version of 2010!

:D

2008 had cleared up nicely by Friday/Sat if I remember rightly.

I reckon 2008-09 were as much to do with the recession as the string of bad weather. While we weren't quite in recession in early 2008 Northern Rock had already happened and we were only months away from the bailout - there had already been some high profile layoffs by April, I was temping at the time and was incredibly happy to have my contract extended as there was sweet FA out there at the time.

From memory (and those news articles) the deposit system worked slightly differently - you could pay a deposit from October (and possibly the full balance?) but there was a planned general sale in February - the tickets sold out by the February sale.

@dingbat2 2008 weather was ok, certainly no worse than 2014 or last year - heavy rain on Thursday (or maybe Wednesday?) night,  fairly dry and warm after that though.

22 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Mud I can live with, although not being able to sit on ground when the mood takes you is a massive ball ache. The never ending rain of 2007 was just unbearable though. I had to take a year off afterwards just to recharge my enthusiasm for the place.

You missed out on one of the greatest ever pyramid sets because you were scared of getting a wet bum. Shame on you!

Just now, russycarps said:

I think the slow sales back then were largely a protest aimed at the Eavis's callous dismissal of a dying mans wish to play glastonbury.

They ultimately sold out when the general public realised that all the slots were already booked up when a ridiculous last minute request came in.

10 minutes ago, russycarps said:

You missed out on one of the greatest ever pyramid sets because you were scared of getting a wet bum. Shame on you!

I went to see Radiohead play one of the greatest sets I've ever seen from any band at the Old Trafford cricket ground that weekend instead. I'm happy with my choice.

05 and 07 had a big impact. A lot of people were wiped out by the flood in 05 and 07 was just shit all round with the weather. There were stage and sound issues both years too. The sound in 2007 across a lot of the stages was shit. Which is why they changed it.

Also, that was around the time when Lost Vagueness was going and Shangri La etc coming in so there wasn't a whole lot to do at night time in comparison. 

1 minute ago, The Nal said:

05 and 07 had a big impact. A lot of people were wiped out by the flood in 05 and 07 was just shit all round with the weather. There were stage and sound issues both years too. The sound in 2007 across a lot of the stages was shit. Which is why they changed it.

Also, that was around the time when Lost Vagueness was going and Shangri La etc coming in so there wasn't a whole lot to do at night time in comparison. 

Last damp squib years of Lost Vagueness wasn't it?  Shangri La started in 2008.

6 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Last damp squib years of Lost Vagueness wasn't it?  Shangri La started in 2008.

Yeah something like that. Shrank over a couple of years I think? Mainly bar hopped in 07. Still had a great time but I know a few people who haven't returned since!