Beverage Of Choice

Stooonami

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was buying my crates of cider last year I discovered that the normal cider was cheaper than the cans of fruity cider, which is undoubtedly easier to drink warm. So I just bought a little bottle of super strength blackcurrent squash and added it to the cider as and when. A trick I'll definitely be using again.

May I ask a stupid question...? I'm going to anyway!

i'm pretty sure that when my husband and I last went to Glastonbury in 2013, we found a stall which sold ice (just to the left of the Pyramid Stage, if looking at the stage). The ice cost a bomb, as we recall, but we're wondering if it was our imagination. My hubby reckons it was £5.00 a bag instead of a quid in supermarkets at that time. 

Does such a stall still exist these days?

4 minutes ago, JanieM28 said:

May I ask a stupid question...? I'm going to anyway!

i'm pretty sure that when my husband and I last went to Glastonbury in 2013, we found a stall which sold ice (just to the left of the Pyramid Stage, if looking at the stage). The ice cost a bomb, as we recall, but we're wondering if it was our imagination. My hubby reckons it was £5.00 a bag instead of a quid in supermarkets at that time. 

Does such a stall still exist these days?

There is ice around for the first couple of days, unless it's silly hot, in which case it becomes rarer than rocking horse shit 

i think some of the bars still have it, I haven't seen a dedicated stall selling it in the last couple of years 

I took a combo of cider (gold) & larger (fosters & a few Stella) and I must have got old because for the life of me I couldn't stomach the warm cider and I will say that the cheaper larger was better warm. So this year I'm taking nothing but fosters or watery whatever swill is on offer at the time. 

Ive also got a butt load of mixed g&t cans for early evening and I'll mix some big bottles of adsa blue charge & Bacardi too pull me through the night.

the last few years I've only been able to do one night on drugs so the first few nights I've drank a skin full and I mean a lot, like I struggle to get pissed after a full day of cans so a lot of strong stuff. I did the last year of the Friday and not only did I have an amazing night but I slept well too :) 

Edited by bennyboi

On 16/05/2016 at 1:18 PM, hfuhruhurr said:

Pineapple gin tastes fab - been in the jar for 2 months, I'm going to bottle it up this week.

On 16/05/2016 at 1:21 PM, Mezhyp1 said:

Decanted mine the other day, tastes fantastic as ever, I really enjoy it 

May I ask why the decanting now?  Presumably the longer you leave it the more pineappley it will become?

I'm very keen to give these White Russians a try. One of my favourite cocktails and it just never occurred to me to make these at the festival. not sure what the best ratio is for vodka to khalua but I'm sure I can do some experimenting!

1 hour ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

May I ask why the decanting now?  Presumably the longer you leave it the more pineappley it will become?

Mine has been in since October/November, it's not really going to get any more pineappley, just for time to try it and make sure it's fine to go 

On the pineapple gin - mine's been going for 2 months and the pineapple was beginning to look exhausted. It's very pineapple-y now - 75cl of gin has yielded 1 litre of pineapple gin. It really is good - making more now for later in the summer.

Took the advice and squeezed out the juice. Tasted the pineapple but it had lost it's flavour to the gin.

Going to stick it in the freezer and see if I can't have it chilled on Friday/Saturday (arriving Tues eve, so might give in to temptation early!).

On 16 May 2016 at 10:58 PM, Starchild771 said:

I like Aldi's cans of Gn'T (£1 each). I find they are ok warmish and if you have a camping bowl you can stash a few in cold water to cool them.

I've been picking up a handful with every shop the last few weeks, I'm going to have like 40 come June. They are a nice mix too taste stronger than the Gordon's ones that's are nearly 3x the price!! 

11 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Secret Sunday stash!

hennessy_small1.jpg

I think anything decent is wasted, especially on a Sunday. I took a small bottle of glen morangie a few years back and I necked it at 3am, I was w*nkered and knew about the next morning but it might as well have been any old swill for that purpose. 

Now that Punk IPA is available widely in cans, I'll be taking a load. Possibly some vocation ales as well, although they are so hoppy that they need to be cool. Me and the Mrs will be fighting for the under-tent cool space. I like to break things up with a few decent pints from Bimble or one of the other decent pub-tents though. Nothing like sitting on the grass in the sun with a pint of Moor So'Hop.

10 minutes ago, SarahLu said:

Does anyone have any secrets about how to keep cans cold?  Planning on taking a couple of crates of strongbow dark fruits, would they freeze well?

Just get a couple of bags of ice a day from one of the many ice outlets on site!

12 minutes ago, SarahLu said:

Does anyone have any secrets about how to keep cans cold?  Planning on taking a couple of crates of strongbow dark fruits, would they freeze well?

take a bucket! Asda do plastic ones for a couple of quid

once you're on site and set up fill it with water then chuck a few cans in, then when you want a drink remove it from the bucket and it will have cooled down to a decent temperature

it works better than the keeping cans under your tent method ever has for me

Taken various things previously and undecided this year, but will definitely be taking some cans of some sort for the long distance drinking in the day (probably some form of ale or bitter as that's my current preference) and some spiced rum.  Probably Kraken again.  If I want a cider, I'll get a Thatchers/Brothers from the bars.

Regards keeping cold, I have an Igloo Coolbox, which was quite pricey but if you pack it with frozen water or soft drinks in plastic bottles it will stay mostly frozen and keep other things cold for about 5 days.  It's a bulky thing, but it's a Godsend for Glasto.  Just pile it in the gardening trolley with the tent & camp chairs and we're away.

this seems a good a place as any to ask

I've made myself some Werthers Original Voda that looks really good apart from the fact there seems to be a bit of scum that rests at the top of the jar

do you guys normaly filter it or just leave it with the scum and give it a shake every time you drink?

2 hours ago, SarahLu said:

Leave them outside at night - gets pretty chilly so cools them

Means you have to neck them early morning mind

Does anyone know anything about cinnamon bark?  I got a bag of it from a Chinese store and thought it would infuse well with vodka and some granny smith apples.  I mixed these altogether last night, but was wondering if there's any issue with leaving the bark in there for the next month?  It's like actual pieces of tree, I'll filter it out but it's probably a long-shot for this to become my beverage of choice!