Headliners 2017

Harmonic Prospector

2 minutes ago, eastynh said:

I know they were asked in 2008 mate and they gave a weak as piss excuse as to why they did not do it.

http://clashmusic.com/news/depeche-mode-turn-down-glastonbury

There were strong rumours in regard to 2014 and I was gutted when I did not get a ticket. They did tour right through 2014 though and did a few festivals that summer. His throat must have been dodgy then when Glasto needed an answer.

It seems Glasto must still want them on and with a new album out next year it maybe a case of now or never.

Ah fair I can't comment on 2008 but if what that article states is true then that's pretty poor!

I know that's what happened in 2014 though for sure. Don't wanna be that guy but i asked him, and he confirmed it (my old flatmate is Dave Gahan's nephew - we were invited to see their show in Paris June 2013). At that point he confirmed that they were in talks with Glasto to headline, however he subsequently developed the exhaustion / throat issues (which he was suffering from for a long time) and it never happened for them. My assumption is that this is the reason it never went ahead (I never had the opportunity to confirm this directly).

I guess next year is as good as any!

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

31 minutes ago, djdavejohnson said:

Ah fair I can't comment on 2008 but if what that article states is true then that's pretty poor!

I know that's what happened in 2014 though for sure. Don't wanna be that guy but i asked him, and he confirmed it (my old flatmate is Dave Gahan's nephew - we were invited to see their show in Paris June 2013). At that point he confirmed that they were in talks with Glasto to headline, however he subsequently developed the exhaustion / throat issues (which he was suffering from for a long time) and it never happened for them. My assumption is that this is the reason it never went ahead (I never had the opportunity to confirm this directly).

I don't doubt you one bit mate. There were very strong rumours at the time and they just kind of fizzled out so what you say makes sense.

Hopefully next year is the one. They could do with a bonafide hit though on the next album as even though they make relevent electronic music, they don't seem to be able to attract a younger fanbase like the Roses have managed for example.

2 hours ago, kingcrawler said:

What's made you change your mind on Radiohead? You've had the idea that they don't want to headline again and were more likely for Bestival or Latitude for a while didn't you?

Yeah, I dunno really. I guess I was just okay with them never playing a scheduled slot again and having done the whole Glasto headline thing, until I realised how much I want it and the power that has over my predictions. :lol:

But I guess they could've easily done either of those this year but never did, so there's that too.

1 hour ago, eastynh said:

I know they were asked in 2008 mate and they gave a weak as piss excuse as to why they did not do it.

http://clashmusic.com/news/depeche-mode-turn-down-glastonbury

There were strong rumours in regard to 2014 and I was gutted when I did not get a ticket. They did tour right through 2014 though and did a few festivals that summer. His throat must have been dodgy then when Glasto needed an answer.

It seems Glasto must still want them on and with a new album out next year it maybe a case of now or never.

Did they tour in 2014? They did all through 2013 and did festivals that Summer but I didn't think they did in 2014. My assumption was that they were lined up for Glasto and then decided not to tour.

45 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

Did they tour in 2014? They did all through 2013 and did festivals that Summer but I didn't think they did in 2014. My assumption was that they were lined up for Glasto and then decided not to tour.

I thought I seen them in 2014 at the Arena in Manchester, although I maybe getting confused here.

### Just had a look and it was 2013 at The Arena so just ignore me.

1 hour ago, carpdreamer said:

Are Depeche Mode bigger than New Order?

Also my guess for 2017 would be Ed Sheeran, The Stone Roses and Bob Dylan...

new order have only played brixton twice the last 2 times they toured whereas in 2013 depeche mode played the o2 three times and 4 times the previous tour 

3 hours ago, Will-2609 said:

They were still touring until around March 2014 - I think it was mostly the European leg at that point IIRC.

Edited by djdavejohnson

6 hours ago, djdavejohnson said:

I've been told by someone that's likely to know that Glastonbury and IOW have wanted them for a number of years but for 1 reason or another haven't agreed to it.

Also last I heard (although months ago) was that Gahan was pissed off with it all (especially another band member) and told them to carry on without him if they were so desperate to make some money! (He wanted a break)

15 minutes ago, sisco said:

I've been told by someone that's likely to know that Glastonbury and IOW have wanted them for a number of years but for 1 reason or another haven't agreed to it.

Also last I heard (although months ago) was that Gahan was pissed off with it all (especially another band member) and told them to carry on without him if they were so desperate to make some money! (He wanted a break)

Although Gahan never directly referenced anyone in particular I think I know which member that may be. I also got the impression that he did need a break away from it all - the exhaustion after extensive touring was really taking its toll. I know his family were worried it was all getting a bit much for him.

Edited by djdavejohnson

6 minutes ago, djdavejohnson said:

Although Gahan never directly referenced anyone in particular I think I know which member that may be. I also got the impression that he did need a break away from it all - the exhaustion after extensive touring was really taking its toll. I know his family were worried it was all getting a bit much for him.

I know which band member, but I'm sure a lot do too.

i would be amazed if they are there next year but if so, I should find out fairly early. 

13 hours ago, carpdreamer said:

Are Depeche Mode bigger than New Order?

Also my guess for 2017 would be Ed Sheeran, The Stone Roses and Bob Dylan...

I love both but its not even close it terms of size. Depeche Mode for some reason or other have never really got critical acclaim in the UK compared to New Order. Yet outside the UK Depeche Mode still fill football stadiums and headline festivals, New Order play Academies and second stages. 

Put it this way, Depeche Mode won't be playing any festival unless they headline it, I would not think.

Size is one thing. Whos the best is a different matter and I would lean towards New Order, just. 

18 minutes ago, arcade fireman said:

Yeah Depeche Mode are huge in Europe but I'm not sure they're big enough to headline Glastonbury anymore. They certainly would've been at one point.

They are a strange one. Not just Europe but globally they are bigger than Artic Monkeys, Kasabian and Muse put together yet I can kind of understand your point.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/12/2016 at 11:29 PM, russycarps said:

First time the headliners thread won't have Bowie or prince rumours.

Fuck you God

I actually cant get excited about 2017 headliners because of this. It would have to be Leonard Cohen/Tom Waits type stuff to get me excited again. There's noone else I really am desperate to see.