Adele

mumzilla

She is massive, and its difficult to criticise the booking itself. However in the context of the other two headliners it's hard not to feel a bit disappointed. I think it's very much a booking for TV rather than something that will provide a brilliant live experience for most people there. Oh well, never seen New Order and have always meant to catch them...

38 minutes ago, rubenz said:

Is anyone going / been to see Adele on tour this year?  Would be good to hear what it was like 

Last night I had pretty much decided not to see Adele, or to stop thinking about it and to see what happens/how we feel on the day.  

A friend of mine was there last night.  I've woken up to several messages "Oh my god she was amazing.....she was hilarious....you're going to love her"

I'm going to need to speak to my friend I think.   Whilst I like Adele's music its not how I want to spend my Saturday night at Glastonbury.   I am still incredibly excited for the festival as a whole and my aim this year was "less pyramid headliners"

People can hate on the headliners all they want, Glastonbury will continue to sell out because there's a million other things going on away from the pyramid stage. If you don't like it, go and look for something else to do. Regardless of what some people think, Adele is undoubtedly gonna have the biggest crowd of the whole weekend.

All these 'real music' people need to realise that Glastonbury is not a small independent festival and has one of the biggest audiences for any music event in the world. 

I might end up going to see some of Adele out of curiosity once New Order, (if it is them), finishes on Other Stage. I'm not into her but I do think she is a good, original booking. Personally, I think she'll do what she does well and deliver a great performance.

The only problem for me is when I tell folks I am going to Glasto the first thing they all say is ' Who are the headliners? '. I am then finding myself being defensive saying who they are and then quickly ' but there's loads of other things to do '. Why should I feel that way? I'm going to the best festival in the world.

I think what people would have liked is just one headliner with a bit of an edge to them, either by way of being unusual for the festival, being a bit out there, having considerable artistic credibility etc. Since the early 2000s I can pick out plenty of headliners which fitted this mould (even if they didn't necessarily always work out well): Kanye, Metallica, The Rolling Stones, Beyonce, Stevie Wonder, Neil Young, Jay Z, Radiohead - even Muse in 2004, etc etc...

Of course everyone knows there's lots of other stuff on, but this is the first set of headliners in a long time that have been this safe and (in many peoples opinions) dull. I don't blame the festival for making them, but it's just a mild disappointment, but one people are entitled to comment on the same. Writing petitions etc is of course ridiculous. 

Edited by arcade fireman

What we've got to understand is that although Adele sounds dull to us, it doesn't to thousands and thousands of fans.Otherwise she wouldn't be selling out huge shows all around the world.

im pretty sure that the thousands who go to watch her don't suddenly realise after about four songs.

'shit, she's a bit boring ain't she, this is going to be a long hour and a half'

Face it, even though many of us will be elsewhere,she'll have a huge crowd, they'll all lap it up, maybe a few headlines about the fact that she 'silenced the doubters', then we'll all move on to next year when we will all be as equally as outraged at the choice of headliners

27 minutes ago, arcade fireman said:

I think what people would have liked is just one headliner with a bit of an edge to them, either by way of being unusual for the festival, being a bit out there, having considerable artistic credibility etc. Since the early 2000s I can pick out plenty of headliners which fitted this mould (even if they didn't necessarily always work out well): Kanye, Metallica, The Rolling Stones, Beyonce, Stevie Wonder, Neil Young, Jay Z, Radiohead - even Muse in 2004, etc etc...

You seem to have typed "Beyonce" there by mistake. 

4 minutes ago, T-Mouse said:

Gorillaz was loud and brilliant. I dont care what other people say. They're wrong.

I agree.  Been watching to the 2010 coverage again to work out what was the problem.  A tight band playing Gorillaz music.  All I can think of is that most of the crowd were just turning up because it was the headliner and didn't actually know/like the records. 

I love those albums, particularly the last two, so didn't give two shits whether Damon chatted to the crowd or not.  But if chit-chat was the real problem with Gorillaz, then we're not going to have a problem with Ms Adkins.

Edited by stuartbert two hats

15 minutes ago, The Nal said:

The problem with Gorillaz is that it was incredibly boring. Simple as. Damon up his own hole.

Adele is the biggest star in the world. Its a huge booking. The fact that her music is dogshit doesnt matter here.

Usual nihilism from you.