Decent priced walking boots

FuzzyDunlop

I have always took trainers and Wellies. If it's a "wet one" - will boots still hold up? 

I am thinking of buying boots this year and leaving the trainers. 

I don't take any trousers, I just take shorts. So Wellies in the wet have "rubbing" issues up the legs.

I would take the wellies too in case of emergency. Boots would just be more comfortable.

Any suggestions of decent priced boots?  (must come in size 12 - I struggle finding shoes as they often only go to 11)

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

I got a pair of these in a sale for £100

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/berghaus-supalite-ii-gtx-mens-walking-boots-p326312

They are very comfortable but I've not tested them in mud yet and hopefully I'll still be able to say that at the end of June.

Before I bought them I did lots of research, they were suggested by several people on a similar thread on here.

Mine,which I've had for about eight years, are Peter Storm leather walking boots.  When I get home they get a through clean and a fresh application of dubbin.  Then a further dubbining before I set off.

I still reckon you get what you pay for.  Buy decent stuff and then look after it.

It's also well worth wearing your boots in before you go.  Don't put them on for the first time at the fest.

was planning on making a similar thread myself as my feet got absolutely fucked last year (largely due to the fact that i chose to wear trainers on the one day it happened to piss it down, but y'know). will be a relief to not have to pre-plan what footwear i wear for each day (especially when it all goes to shit like i mentioned)

8 hours ago, st dan said:

I've got a pair of these

They've lasted the past 6 festivals now and still going strong. I don't bother with wellies or trainers now, I just take these  

They hold up great in the rain and mud, and are very comfortable (with an added pair of nice insoles). 

got myself a pair of those about 2 weeks ago trying to wear them as much as i can to get used to them ..really plaesed to see they have lasted you that long old son hope mine do the same ...[ do you wear them alot btw ?? ]

19 minutes ago, guypjfreak said:

got myself a pair of those about 2 weeks ago trying to wear them as much as i can to get used to them ..really plaesed to see they have lasted you that long old son hope mine do the same ...[ do you wear them alot btw ?? ]

I wear them for all festivals, waking the dogs and any hikes/climbs I do ... they really are great - the Vibram sole is great for grip when it's slippy and you try to stumble hope half cut. 

I have no complaints at all with them .. Hope the old lads serve you as well as they have me!

Assuming you are a person who can wear welly boots comfortably, what are the advantages of walking boots over them? It's the doing up muddy laces that puts me off. And surely some mud and water gets inside them, they arent as high sided as wellys.

But having said all that, I've always fancied owning a pair. Educate me please, oh wise ones.

1 hour ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Gaiters means the muddy laces aren't a problem. Mud and water have never got inside mine. Suppose if you had a 2005 flood then it'd be a problem but the water is never that deep. 

They are just so much more comfortable than wellies for the amount of walking you do. 

54 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Just better freedom of movement in general. Plus they don't get sucked off in the mud.

Cheers both. Those ones that gonzo linked seem to be just the ticket. £60 is about as much as I would want to pay. 

What socks do you wear with them, just something like these, or something more hardcore?

http://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-heavyweight-boot-socks-3-pack-414022?colcode=41402203

14 minutes ago, russycarps said:

Cheers both. Those ones that gonzo linked seem to be just the ticket. £60 is about as much as I would want to pay. 

What socks do you wear with them, just something like these, or something more hardcore?

http://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-heavyweight-boot-socks-3-pack-414022?colcode=41402203

Depends on the weather. They can get quite hot. Just wore slightly long ankle socks last year. Just to come over the lip.

I heartily recommend walking boots over wellies 100% of the time.  They are far more comfortable in terms of support and breathability and as you'll walk miles and dance loads, they will be of immeasurable value. Muddy laces are a hassle, but much less hassle than aching feet and blisters.

I think walking boots definitely display a 'get what you pay for' characteristic so I'd recommend going for something fairly high-end which will treat you better and last longer - though getting something on sale is obviously a winner.

My feeling is that the Sports Direct Karrimor specials are a bit crap compared to the higher-end stuff, but if you're only going to use them for festivals (I use my boots for big hikes too) and don't mind replacing them sooner, they are still a good way better than wellies.

1 minute ago, maelzoid said:

I heartily recommend walking boots over wellies 100% of the time.  They are far more comfortable in terms of support and breathability and as you'll walk miles and dance loads, they will be of immeasurable value. Muddy laces are a hassle, but much less hassle than aching feet and blisters.

I think walking boots definitely display a 'get what you pay for' characteristic so I'd recommend going for something fairly high-end which will treat you better and last longer - though getting something on sale is obviously a winner.

My feeling is that the Sports Direct Karrimor specials are a bit crap compared to the higher-end stuff, but if you're only going to use them for festivals (I use my boots for big hikes too) and don't mind replacing them sooner, they are still a good way better than wellies.

what price would you have to pay for fairly high-end?