Radiohead touring in 2016

Redwinevino

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I could really do without a secret set looming over the weekend.  Did you all know last time and plan around it?

Think everyone knew last time. I was texted by mates outside the festival so it definitely leaked. Decided not to bother last time, thought it would be absolutely packed and didn't fancy the crowds. Didn't bother with Pulp the next day either, but that was because I was seeing them in Hyde Park the week after.

Secret sets are a weird one. I didn't much enjoy Radiohead in 2011 as I couldn't see a thing and it was raining and everyone around me was shouting for 'the hits', and they were very much not playing those. 

Then Pulp the next day was one of my favourite Glastonbury sets ever. It was sunny and beautiful and everyone sang along. 

The takeaway from this is that playing a set of unfamiliar and not particularly crowd friendly songs at an odd early evening time on a too-small stage isn't the way to win a crowd over. We all dropped everything we were planning to do when we heard about Radiohead, but honestly, if it was going to be a similar set-up again I don't know if I'd bother. (Who am I kidding? I totally would. And I'd feel very silly for not learning my lesson.)

I remember the Radiohead set was put on NME on the Friday morning, so if you have internet at the fest you're fine. Personally I found out Friday eve as I was waiting for Moz and was stood with fingers crossed waiting for Pulp, but again if you have the right tools you shouldn't miss a set really.

52 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I could really do without a secret set looming over the weekend.  Did you all know last time and plan around it?

Word definitely spread. I don't take a smartphone to Glastonbury but I had heard it was Radiohead. I don't actually remember how I heard, mind you. It was crunch time watching Bright Eyes in the rain on the Other and deciding if we were gonna take a punt on the special guests next or watch someone else we'd been planning to see. In the end my mate whipped out her iphone and confirmed it was Radiohead so we trekked up to the Park along with, like, every other person at the festival 

8 hours ago, brettredmayne said:

I enjoyed the radiohead set but can see why a lot of people wouldn't if you were not massive fans. 

I think my main problem with it was that I couldn't see a thing. It's a weird experience to be 'watching' a band live but being totally unable to see them. The Park just isn't designed for massive crowds

18 minutes ago, somecoolusername said:

I think my main problem with it was that I couldn't see a thing. It's a weird experience to be 'watching' a band live but being totally unable to see them. The Park just isn't designed for massive crowds

It's the same each time I try to watch a Pyramid headliner from the Mandela bar.

Thom and Johnny at The Park in 2010 was rumoured but not confirmed until about two hours before (I saw it on AtEase Twitter). Was busy but not rammed as a result, lots of people didn't even know they'd played later that day. It was sublime. 

In 2011 I didn't go (son was born that year), but it was on eFestivals in the morning of the Friday, which I remember thinking at the time was probably a pretty silly thing for the Festival to have done. From what I hear it was duly massively overcrowded and big name secret sets were pretty much canned afterwards. 

We were there in 2011, no idea how we knew about it but we got up to the Park about maybe 45 minutes before they were due on and couldn't get anywhere close to the stage. The spot we ended up in wasn't the best and by the time they came out it was getting uncomfortably packed. I'm 6 foot and could just about see the stage on tip toes, the Mrs is 5 foot not a lot so she couldn't see a thing.

When they started playing It was nowhere near loud enough from we were stood. Stayed for Lotus Flower and got annoyed that we could barely hear over all the people shushing each other whilst getting pushed, squashed and jostled so we fucked it off and wondered back down the hill feeling a little gutted. There were so many people still streaming in then, security had just arrived to close the entrance.

Seeing them play in 03 is easily one of my favourite Glastonbury moments, that secret gig in 2011 was definitely one of my most disappointing.  Oh well eh still had a brilliant weekend regardless.

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

but down is the new up

i also got fooled buy that account this morning - saw 'Radiohead' and 'Glastonbury' and almost shit. definitely fake though

Toss innit.

I think you deserve a medal for your continued optimism though, Floorf.

2 minutes ago, Woffy said:

Toss innit.

I think you deserve a medal for your continued optimism though, Floorf.

i've given up now! maybe there'll be a secret set - i dunno - but any hope of finding out anything Radiohead Glastonbury related is being put on the back burner for now. had my heart broken far too many times