The Libertines - why did they not announce it, ridiculous

Collide

Loved it.  Been wanting to see The Libertines for years but never got round to it back in the day.

Thought the fact that it was secret until well into Friday built the tension nicely too.  At least it was on the Pyramid as well where there's plenty of room.  Pulp in 2011 was one of the highlights of Glasto but I could barely see the Park stage let alone the band as it was so rammed.

Bring it back every year, and get some decent surprises in for the Friday Other opener while you're at it!

Edited by rmcoboy

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I loved it, I think they should do it every year.  I was always going to go down to the Pyramid at that time just to see who it was. If it was someone rubbish then fine I could leave. But when the banner unfurled and the band walked out it was probably one of the festival's most memorable moments ever.

One of my favourite bands of all time, they are one of the first bands I ever loved and I missed them. I got a text from a friend on the way to Sharon Van Etten and didn't 100% believe it, pretty gutted but I know I will finally get to see them when they tour the new album. Sharon Van Etten was amazing anyway.

Heard it was them so went down, didn't think they were as good as the Ally Pally gigs and they seemed a bit bored if I'm honest. Also, don't think them not announcing it helped as so many people were just there to see who it was and weren't arsed when The Libertines came on.

Still, me and my mates had a good time.

One of my favourite bands of all time, they are one of the first bands I ever loved and I missed them. I got a text from a friend on the way to Sharon Van Etten and didn't 100% believe it, pretty gutted but I know I will finally get to see them when they tour the new album. Sharon Van Etten was amazing anyway.

Sorry if I make you kick yourself, but I didn't hurry away from SVE, I went the long way around, watched one song of Caribou, waited for a mate to wee, and still managed to see three Libs songs. If you'd have made a beeline right for the Pyramid after Sharon, you could have seen a decent chunk.

It was brilliant! Glad the gamble to hang around at the front of the pyramid paid off.

Amazing how secretive they managed to keep it. I enjoyed being able to tell the people around me it was definitely The Libs when Carl's guitar was brought out!

I heard was them pretty early in the day and at RTJ overheard loads of groups saying it was them

I tweeted it at about midday on Friday, after getting the info from one of our regular sources.

In the next hour I was sat next to two different groups who I overheard say "it's the Libertines, eFestivals said so it must be right". :)

I tweeted it at about midday on Friday, after getting the info from one of our regular sources.In the next hour I was sat next to two different groups who I overheard say "it's the Libertines, eFestivals said so it must be right". :)

Yeah, loads of people only believed me whe I added the "eFestivals reckon it's them" caveat!

I tweeted it at about midday on Friday, after getting the info from one of our regular sources.

In the next hour I was sat next to two different groups who I overheard say "it's the Libertines, eFestivals said so it must be right". :)

was that on the pyramid? I was n one of those groups and was about to proclaim I knew who it was cos of my contacts with efestivals(hahaha) and then they said the same thing...darn it! think it was amazing to get the libs as a  sub at short notice too

Sorry if I make you kick yourself, but I didn't hurry away from SVE, I went the long way around, watched one song of Caribou, waited for a mate to wee, and still managed to see three Libs songs. If you'd have made a beeline right for the Pyramid after Sharon, you could have seen a decent chunk.

Yep, I did the same (minus Caribou)... the site was desolate at the time! I got there towards the end of 'You're My Waterloo'

I was literally walking away from Motorhead when I heard some chap say 'well the eFestivals lot think its.....' and I didn't hear the rest!

Went for a nap during the rain, woke up to news that it was The Libertines. Pretty chuffed and we managed to get pretty close to the front for it, but my plan was to always go and see who it was (if it wasn't confirmed in advance) in case, y'know, something exactly like this happened.

yeah i heard it was The Libertines pretty early on, but even if i hadn't i think i would've taken the gamble and if it turned out to be somebody shite quickly ran off and watched Caribou or something

I understand why they couldn't announce it before hand, but surely they could announce it on the day, Melvin Benn is being a tosser if he insisted on that.

I'm a libertines fan but they work well in a tiny club or sweaty tent, I thought they were lost on the Reading main stage and they were lost on the pyramid too. At least at Reading they had their own fans causing a massive crush and going nuts, at Glasto' I'd say around 60-70% of people near me down the front didn't care and didn't know any of the songs. Shame.

Libs are my favourite band, and I count myself lucky that my group of 5-6 who decided to go managed to get a decent spot in front of the sound desk, with approximately 20 other massive Libs fans who were all sound guys. Beyond that you could tell there was a real mix in the crowd, with pockets of people like us going nuts, screaming every word of every song etc, with a lot of bewildered people in between.

Just watching the set back now on Youtube, surprised at how well it seems to have gone. At the time we thought the two new songs were class listening to them first time live, and they still sound great listening back to them.

Will be interesting to see if they'll feature properly on next year's bill. They'll have a new album to tour, and the publicity would be great for them - with Reading/Leeds and TITP having them on their bill this year I suppose it limits their UK festival options, and I imagine the festival probably owes them a favour. Would love to see them headline the Other Stage, but not sure if they would be looking to do so after subbing Pyramid this year.

I was walking away from Leon Bridges to head back to the Hessle Audio thing and a few blokes in front were speculating about who it might be so I confidently strode up and said 'its the Libertines, it's on eFestivals and spreading all over twitter now' they all seemed pretty happy to hear the news.

The Libertines on the Pyramid is a bit of a dream come true for me, so I couldn't have been happier. Shame more people in the crowd weren't quite as enthusiastic as a normal Libs crowd, but it took nothing away from the gig for me - I did more than enough singing for the people around me! I also made TV as well apparently!

RTJ into Libs is something I'll remember for a very long time...