Flares or Not?

Peroni

Just now, russycarps said:

Last I checked a Tory mp hasn't banned glass at festivals. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Is this your big sticking point? That the guy is a Tory? Because a quick Google search suggests he's also the chair of the All Party Parliamentary Group on Music and has cross party support on this matter. Plenty of Labour MP's backing this too, bud.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, russycarps said:

Yeah. The same person who said they were unable to move away from the flare because of the size of the crowd. The same crowd that I was in. In the field that was no more than half full, at best.

If they are going to lie about the size of the crowd, then why on earth would anyone believe the rest of the statement?

Well given that the person that made that statement was me, I feel that I should respond to the bait!

I'm sure you aren't under the misapprehension that a crowd is equally dense at all points.  (Not withstanding any comments vis a vis your own "density"!).  It was pretty fucking busy where I was.

I could back away sufficiently that I was no longer stood directly next to said goon, reducing (though not entirely) the amount of hot shit falling on me.  I was in a large group, and when we huddled en masse a bit further away from said group of goons, they simply expanded into the space.  Yes, we could have all moved, but frankly I was completely bollocksed, and taking the brunt of it.  I shuffled away, they shuffled towards, rinse and repeat.

As I said in the original post, I put it down to the dickheadish behaviour, rather than the pyrotechnics themselves.  

Now wind your neck in, and stop being unnecessarily c**ty.

55 minutes ago, russycarps said:

Last I checked a Tory mp hasn't banned glass at festivals. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Nor has a Tory MP banned flares yet, it's not yet in force.

The festival banned glass. The festival also bans flares. You think we should be allowed flares. Did you agree with the festival's ban on them until the Tories decided to make it law?

If you look closely in Gnom's picture, you can see the asthmatic stood directly behind, wheezing after taking a mouthful of smoke and panicking they're about to have an attack.

Pretty lights > caring about the welfare of those around you. That's the Glastonbury spirit we all know and love!

10 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Nor has a Tory MP banned flares yet, it's not yet in force.

The festival banned glass. The festival also bans flares. You think we should be allowed flares. Did you agree with the festival's ban on them until the Tories decided to make it law?

The festival should be self regulated, not have laws imposed on it by tories. This is now another thing to beat the festival with when people set off flares in future.

What happens within the fence is none of the tories business.

And there's you people clapping like demented chimps at the news. Amazing.

Someone accidentally burnt a hole in my tshirt with a cigarette at glastonbury once. 

Should we ban smoking at the festival? Imagine if it had gone in my eyeball and blinded me to death!

BAN SMOKING

BAN IT ALL

You're doing quite well on the straw man arguments in this thread Russy.

Between that, displaying a complete ignorance of what a distress flare is and insulting anyone who's experience or opinion differs from your own, you're in fine form.

Keep up the good work!

There may be some confusion between distress flares, which go off like a rocket, and those long wax candle on a stick things.  But we don't need either thanks - or chinese lantern balloons.

Given the other threads about booze a lot of people won't be in a fit state to play with any of them.

1 hour ago, russycarps said:

The festival should be self regulated, not have laws imposed on it by tories. This is now another thing to beat the festival with when people set off flares in future.

What happens within the fence is none of the tories business.

And there's you people clapping like demented chimps at the news. Amazing.

And the festival has decreed that flares are banned. They did this years ago well before they were banned by law. And yet you think people should bring them. Even though the festival think otherwise. So do you really want the festival to be self-regulated? Because it sounds like you want it regulated by you.

If you don't want a welly in your head then don't let a flair off near me. Not a violent man by any means but flares are just one step too far. If the atmosphere is that shit, and you have to let flares off then I suggest you go watch some better bands or take some better drugs.

I want to watch bands, not attention seeking tools.

Edited by eastynh

The festival should be self regulated, not have laws imposed on it by tories.

The Law of the Land applies within the fence, the Festival can apply further restrictions (like the ban on glass) but it cannot legalise that which is illegal.

Flares are (as I understand it) banned by the Festival. I recall years ago watching hundreds of Chinese Lanterns rising from the site on Sunday night, now they are gone (at ŧhe request of Michael, I believe). Do we have to wait for someone to be injured by a flare before people think it isn't a great idea to have pyrotechnics ignited in the middle of a dense (in every sense of the word) crowd by intoxicated eejuts?

This is a chalk and cheese conversation.

Personally I like flares, I've been at football grounds, gigs and parties where they have been lit, the atmosphere they add is incredible in my opinion.

However, i do not wish anyone to be hurt, they're fireworks at the end of the day. If i had to choose i say its a yes however as pointed out on this thread, fireworks and alcohol don't mix. 

Final thoughts, flares have been used for years and in percentages the amount of people that get hurt are slim, that doesn't make it easier for the people that have been hurt but in the age of health and safety idiocy this is one i'm going to have to favor with the risk takers.

no flares ....no flags in front of stages [ look mum there where we were ] ...def no chinese lanterns ..yes to sneaky fireworks set off when not drunk and AWAY from people .....well maybe lol

how about these i asked my chimney bloke for some ..gaffer them to a stick and your good to go and they only last 20 seconds no harm done imo

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-x-Rothenberger-Smoke-Testing-Chimney-Pellets-6-7044-/220910222056?hash=item336f467ae8:g:~6UAAOxyDo1TjtKk

15 minutes ago, eastynh said:

If you don't want a welly in your head then don't let a flair off near me. Not a violent man by any means but flares are just one step too far. If the atmosphere is that shit, and you have to let flares off then I suggest you go watch some better bands or take some better drugs.

I want to watch bands, not attention seeking tools.

thats a great 2.358 post old son

2 minutes ago, guypjfreak said:

thats a great 2.358 post old son

I come from the generation of white gloves, glow sticks and whistles mate. I thought they were over doing it then as you always got one goon who thought it was funny to split the glow stick and wipe it in people faces. Flares are just too far off the scale for my liking.

If you want people to look at you, then pull some shapes and do a funny dance. That way you will not piss off the people around you and you never know, it may get a pretty little ladies attention. To this day I have never heard of a bloke copping for a lady by letting a flare off in the crowd.

12 hours ago, DeanoL said:

And the festival has decreed that flares are banned. They did this years ago well before they were banned by law. And yet you think people should bring them. Even though the festival think otherwise. So do you really want the festival to be self-regulated? Because it sounds like you want it regulated by you.

I think we should trust people to behave in a manner which wont hurt other people (or animals) at the festival without having the threat of laws set by torys hanging over us.

That includes taking drugs, bringing in glass, using flares, pissing in streams, having sex with strangers etc. All should be left up to the festival and the individual, and not be banned in law by a Tory MP who has never ever set foot in the festival. 

You are happy for a pissed up reveller to get a criminal record for letting off a flare?

11 hours ago, Rumblestripe said:

The Law of the Land applies within the fence, the Festival can apply further restrictions (like the ban on glass) but it cannot legalise that which is illegal.

guess what, your beloved Law of the Land is largely imposed and enforced by absolute c**ts.

And you applaud more laws being placed on glastonbury. How depressing.

What goes on at glastonbury is none of their fucking business.

Edited by russycarps

3 minutes ago, russycarps said:

I think we should trust people to behave in a manner which wont hurt other people (or animals) at the festival without having the threat of laws set by torys hanging over us.

That includes taking drugs, bringing in glass, using flares, pissing in streams, having sex with strangers etc. All should be left up to the festival and the individual, and not be banned in law by a Tory MP who has never ever set foot in the festival. 

You are happy for a pissed up reveller to get a criminal record for letting off a flare?

The Tories want to ban sex???

I didn't mind them at all when there was only a few and they were (seemingly) in the hands of responsible folk with buckets of sand etc.

Recently it seems that everyone and their mum has got a flare. And you can bet there'll be even more again this year, to the point of ridiculousness.

Only a matter of time before someone gets one in the face. Kids near us at Chemical Bros last year were being right pricks with them.

Overall though they don't bother me anywhere near as much as laser pens, those people are dicks.

12 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

The Tories want to ban sex???

Who knows what harmless thing they will ban next.

They've already banned harmless things like drugs, and are on the way to banning harmless things like flares.

What's next?

But the Law of the Land must be obeyed and respected at all times. Apparently.