Flares or Not?

Peroni

I'm just watching Kasabian from 2014 and noticed during fire a helluva lot of flares going off during the crowd.

I have stay having been there and quite far back I noticed a few and generally from a safe distance find they add to the atmosphere... but I guess opinion will be divided?

What do you all think?

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't like them but it does depend on the setting though. Some times they're cool if its dark, outside and it is a proper one and not the smoke ones it does provide an cool effect but they're normally held by twats who do it for no reason whatsoever. But I when I saw Kasabian last year at Manchester some dickhead set one off in the middle of the crowd as it just made everyone around him stop moving so they wouldn't get hurt by it and it didn't add to the experience whatsoever.

Also smoke flares are just shite and just smell really bad

Edited by justanothername

No Pyro, No Party!

....Unless its next to me of course :P Yeah I like the look/atmosphere when they go off in a big headlining set but never trust being near to the drunk whose just let it off and is waving it around everywhere!

Sadly its a no from a safety standpoint for me.

After Courteeners at Heaton Park on Friday i'd say Yes. People always say they attract the wrong type of crowd but all flares and smoke bombs were used completely fine. Think it also helped that stewards didn't intervene; although this was probably due to the amount of flares and smoke bombs.

God bless the band

And this one

https://twitter.com/joesaunders1878/status/606958593640906752

Edited by STEatT

I've never had the misfortune of being next to someone with a flare. As a result I think they can definitely add to the atmosphere. During Stevies set in 2010, he dropped Superstition and the crowd erupted with flares. It added something to what was already a perfect performance.

I saw a few videos of the Courteeners' show from the other night, the whole place was completely caked in smoke bombs and flares. That's when it stops being a boost of atmosphere and just ruins it for loads of people.

I think with the courteeners people purposely take them now, because in the past they've had to stop playing and made a point at future gigs of telling people not to bring them.

Got slightly burned by one a few years back that some bell end was playing about with .I had a quiet word in his ear and he moved away from me .Won't repeat what I said to him .I don't like the things .They actually distract you from the music I think .Light them and then place them up your A hole as far as I'm concerned.

Arent flares ace, till someone sparks one up directly next to you and you spend the 2 hours of Brucies set up at Worthy Medic Centre sorting out an eye bath for your mrs.

How anyone can say these are great is beyond me, its a big ball of magnesium held by someone whos been drinking for 3 days.

Edited by chimpy

The Courteeners gig on Friday was bonkers you couldn't see the stage during the first song for all the smoke and flares. I've got a few smoke grenades left over from the football so I might bring them with me.

Also I prefer pyros to all the annoying flags.