After Dark - where to go?

Quark

Right, apologies if this duplicates another thread.

Thus far my post-11pm nights have been limited to goggling at odd stuff in Block 9, mistakenly wandering into bars that were just closing, and then stumbling back to my tent. I've not yet managed to have a proper night in Glastonbury. Invariably after trudging to another bar that's not playing anything I like, I get bored and go to bed.

So I'm after advice from lovely Glastonbury people, as I'm struggling to piece it all together. What sort of music and foolishness comes up in the different areas / bars? Are there bars or venues that play anything other than full-on dance? What are the differences between the different bars in The Common for example?

It's about as general a question as you can get, and I expect (and deserve) a lot of rolling eyes behind keyboards. But if you can't ask on a message forum behind an avatar of a Star Trek character, then where can you?

Go!

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right, apologies if this duplicates another thread.

Thus far my post-11pm nights have been limited to goggling at odd stuff in Block 9, mistakenly wandering into bars that were just closing, and then stumbling back to my tent. I've not yet managed to have a proper night in Glastonbury. Invariably after trudging to another bar that's not playing anything I like, I get bored and go to bed.

So I'm after advice from lovely Glastonbury people, as I'm struggling to piece it all together. What sort of music and foolishness comes up in the different areas / bars? Are there bars or venues that play anything other than full-on dance? What are the differences between the different bars in The Common for example?

It's about as general a question as you can get, and I expect (and deserve) a lot of rolling eyes behind keyboards. But if you can't ask on a message forum behind an avatar of a Star Trek character, then where can you?

Go!

Im not the biggest dance nut in the world, so really enjoyed spending my after dark experiences in the bars and tents around the park stonebridge etc etc

i'd also like info on this subject as i've also never had a really good night in any of the late night areas due to aimlessly wandering around without sticking to one place. all gets a bit overwhelming for me personally

Feeling less like the pickled onion in the fruit salad now. I AM NOT ALONE!!

That is a bit of a problem with the SE corner, that alot of people wander through like dazed and tired tourists, looking for this amazing experience that they've heard all about but never really engaging with any particular venue and therefore never finding it.

I like a drunken singalong by a wine bar or that place that plays cheesy 80s singalong stuff on the drag between glade and west holts as much as anything else. Some quieter but pleasant fun can be had in the green fields (mandala stage and coffee shop is a lovely spot by the fire with a joint and a hot drink). The park has a nice vibe and plenty of nice folk around as the night draws on.

My best night was Thursday in 2013. Wandered in circles from place to place in the SE Corner. Remember starting at the Rum Shack for an hour or so, then into the Temple and then towards Shangri La where I got into Heaven and some other bar where I needed a tattoo and then seemed to get lost in a maze of underground bars for ages. All of which blew me away and felt totally surreal as had no idea any of that stuff existed before that night and ended up watching the sunrise. Good night. Tried to do the same last year and got the timings wrong across the board and everything was full/closed etc and then walked 45mins to the Beat Hotel which was shit.

Yep. During the day it's easy to wander and discover things. At night (outside of the SE corner) it's difficult to find what's really on.

I've found a couple of small bits over the last few years, but some more pointers would be appreciated.

Could I add another question following on from the OP, what late night bars / areas can people recommend that don't just play dance music, whilst I enjoy the spectacle of Shangri La Block 9 etc and always go for a wander round I just get a bit bored with basslines and bleeps (sorry!) - so is there anywhere that plays other types of music - rock/indie/reggae/ska anything really that isn't just dance?

Cheers all x

Could I add another question following on from the OP, what late night bars / areas can people recommend that don't just play dance music, whilst I enjoy the spectacle of Shangri La Block 9 etc and always go for a wander round I just get a bit bored with basslines and bleeps (sorry!) - so is there anywhere that plays other types of music - rock/indie/reggae/ska anything really that isn't just dance?

Cheers all x

Williams Green ussually has cheesier music most nights and is open until about 3 I think. Also the stonebridge bar in the park usually has indie or rock. Walked into the Cave bar in the common last year (the one behind the waterfall) and they had a really decent raggae night going on. It was also suprisingly quiet considering how busy everything else around there was! I'm not the biggest raggae fan but we Stayed in there for hours!

Also the NYC Down low is always a good laugh if you like funk/disco

Edited by richy24

i found myself in a venue in the green fields (I think) on the way back to my tent about 2am one night in 2013 and came across a band called The Turbans who were playing what I can only describe as Middle Eastern folk. It was honestly the highlight of my festival, they were flippin awesome. So there is other stuff out there at that time but admittedly not as easy to find as the rumbling baselines of the SE corner.

i'd also like info on this subject as i've also never had a really good night in any of the late night areas due to aimlessly wandering around without sticking to one place. all gets a bit overwhelming for me personally

There is stuff like the Kasbah and other little rock, there is the Silent Disco obviously. A lot of Heaven and Hell unfortunately is very rammed at night and you've got to really be bothered about going in to try. One tip on there though is to pick up a cheese dog near the Duluxe Diner, really decent food option. Stonebridge is always a good start to Thursday evening. The Rum Shack I've had a decent time in, but that is more just having a dance than anything. I walked through Shangri-La one Sunday afternoon as no major act was on I wanted to see, not empty but quite relaxed and a good time to take it in when something is at least on.

Williams Green is also great at night, I've had a good night in the tent to the left many times, very cheesy a lot of the time but still good. Needless to say though, a lot of the SE does cater more to the drug user.

Edited by thewayiam

Is there any decent sort of rock/alternative/indie based nightlife areas? I don't mind dance but it wouldn't be my preference!

yeah i wouldn't mind finding out about something like this (although i'm pretty sure it's frequently asked and there isn't much in the way of it). i love my dance music but the people i'm going with, not so much, so i don't think spending every night in the naughty corner is gonna appease them (one especially i can imagine hating it once we've passed the awe and wonder of it all)

yeah i wouldn't mind finding out about something like this (although i'm pretty sure it's frequently asked and there isn't much in the way of it). i love my dance music but the people i'm going with, not so much, so i don't think spending every night in the naughty corner is gonna appease them (one especially i can imagine hating it once we've passed the awe and wonder of it all)

Remember some little tent in The Williams Green area playing Pulp and Rage Against The Machine and such on the Thursday last year but not sure what it was. Was great fun!

Remember some little tent in The Williams Green area playing Pulp and Rage Against The Machine and such on the Thursday last year but not sure what it was. Was great fun!

oooh that sounds good, love a bit of Pulp, does anyone else know where this was? We were at Williams Green last year on the Thursday night and it was very cheesy, good fun but not sure I could do it every night Thanks for the info from everyone so far

While wandering around Shangri-La one night last year I went into a tiny dance club playing full on techno, stayed there for a bit and then left and almost straight away walked into a tiny metal club playing full on thrash metal! Was great to have both of those going on so close to each other!

I keep reading that the Chameleon Bar (I think it's run by the same people as the Kasbah) is pretty good for more rock type stuff, but as I've never actually made it there I can't recommend it for sure.

Oh, and Freddie and The Freeloaders will be playing the West Holts Bar on Thursday and Sunday nights - classic R'n'B/Stax/Motown covers. Had everyone on the tables last year!

Yeah - the Chameleon bar in the markets is good for more indie. It hosts the Propaganda nights in the evenings and last year left there at about 3:30am having been there since midway through Metallica's set, so it's a good option.