Headliners 2016

thewayiam

i don't think this year is bland in taste, mostly the flavours aren't my taste but it's not exactly the wall of beige you lot are making it out to be

Muse -  haven't released anything worth listening to for at least 10 years but i still wouldn't call them bland. 

Taste comparison :Parma Violets, to my mouth they're pretty disgusting but some people like them and they have a very distinctive taste

Adele - lots of very emotional songs and the girl can belt them out, mix in with a good personality and then add that she doesn't really play a lot, definitely not a bland booking. 

Taste comparison: I'd call her a beef stew, comforting and warm and sometimes exactly what you need

Coldplay - i think we can all admit that Coldplay are very exciting to people who like Coldplay, i'm not a fan but if they're you cup of tea that you'll have a fucking blast

Taste comparison: they're Readybrek with a sploge of Jam

• Replies 15.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Time for Van Morrison and Elvis Costello again, is it?

Ugh, Costello again. Gave him a try the other year (2013?) and it was like someone breathed a fart over the crowd for an hour.

12 minutes ago, russycarps said:

It's best not to worry about pyramid stage headliners anymore. The best we can hope for now is what, Prince? There's no-one left. But that doesnt excuse the coldplay and muse bookings. They are utterly devoid of imagination and to book both in the same year in inexcusable.

I'm still quite puzzled by new order headlining the other stage. What have they done since their last performance to warrant such a high billing? I dont get this one at all. Hopefully neil is wrong on this. I'd like to spend saturday night at one of the big stages.

Have you listened to their latest album Music Complete? It was one of my favourites of last year, I think that, plus their back catalogue make them worthy headliners.

They're supposedly a lot better live now than in 2005, due to Peter Hook leaving and the constant bickering going.

16 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

As I've said plenty of times, I have no reason to think the RH info I've been told is wrong ... that source has an impecible record with ad-hoc bits of info about a number of bands (including RH previously) over many years, while not having sent me info every year.

I have no reason to think this year's bit of info will be any different.

The source never said they were playing as headliner. Someone has posted today wondering who will be subbing Adele. It's still quite possible that might be RH - because there doesn't seem to be anyone else in the frame.

Sorry, I'll clarify.  For me "the Radiohead dream" is of a full, proper headline set.  Not some half-arsed attempt to play new material to an indifferent crowd in the middle of the day.  That I won't know about, or won't be able to get into.

A sub would be pretty good, even though it's always odd when an established act steps down  :) 

3 minutes ago, jackarmy said:

Have you listened to their latest album Music Complete? It was one of my favourites of last year, I think that, plus their back catalogue make them worthy headliners.

They're supposedly a lot better live now than in 2005, due to Peter Hook leaving and the constant bickering going.

was peter hook with them in 2012? cos they were shit when I saw them then too...

17 minutes ago, russycarps said:

It's best not to worry about pyramid stage headliners anymore. The best we can hope for now is what, Prince? There's no-one left. But that doesnt excuse the coldplay and muse bookings. They are utterly devoid of imagination and to book both in the same year in inexcusable.

I'm still quite puzzled by new order headlining the other stage. What have they done since their last performance to warrant such a high billing? I dont get this one at all. Hopefully neil is wrong on this. I'd like to spend saturday night at one of the big stages.

A good new album.  Isn't Other Headliner/Pyramid Sub roughly equivalent anyway?  Bands the size and age of New Order don't often change their billing much over the years.

Just now, russycarps said:

was peter hook with them in 2012? cos they were shit when I saw them then too...

Fair! I've heard they're hit & miss live. Wasn't that in the middle of the day before The Specials and Blur in Hyde Park though? Don't think you can really compare that to a full headline show?

Friends of mine saw them in Brixton last year and were impressed.

17 minutes ago, sloseph said:

i don't think this year is bland in taste, mostly the flavours aren't my taste but it's not exactly the wall of beige you lot are making it out to be

Muse -  haven't released anything worth listening to for at least 10 years but i still wouldn't call them bland. 

Taste comparison :Parma Violets, to my mouth they're pretty disgusting but some people like them and they have a very distinctive taste

Marmite?

3 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Are we about to go official?

I reckon any other year she would have been TBC a while ago. But as Neils said before hes preaching caution this year after the "Coldplaycident" of 2015.

To me shes been nailed on since that booker came out and publically stated she was in the pipeline. That seemed to be the point of no return.

Edited by T-Mouse

4 minutes ago, Glastoboy said:

Radiohead. A set of mostly new material with a couple of oldies . Special guest openers. Other Stage.

This seems entirely more likely. But we can dream cant we.

Ultimately the most likely event is this.

4 minutes ago, Glastoboy said:

Radiohead. Not fucking playing :(

Edited by T-Mouse

Just now, T-Mouse said:

I reckon any other year she would have been TBC a while ago. But as Neils said before hes preaching caution this year after the "Coldplaycident" of 2015.

To me shes been nailed on since that booker came out and publically stated she was in the pipeline. That

Definitely, I was wondering if we're about to get an official confirmation. 

Actually, when does her tour hit London? Wouldn't shock me if it was announced then so they can do interviews at the Dome and whatnot.

26 minutes ago, jackarmy said:

Fair! I've heard they're hit & miss live. Wasn't that in the middle of the day before The Specials and Blur in Hyde Park though? Don't think you can really compare that to a full headline show?

Friends of mine saw them in Brixton last year and were impressed.

Aye it was....but you're right, that was unfair of me. That was an awful slot for them. In fact the whole gig was pretty terrible. 

I guess I need to check out the new album, I didnt actually realise gilbert was back

8 minutes ago, russycarps said:

Aye it was....but you're right, that was unfair of me. That was an awful slot for them. In fact the whole gig was pretty terrible. 

I guess I need to check out the new album, I didnt actually realise gilbert was back

Aye, that wasn't fun. Far too busy and far too quiet.

4 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Definitely, I was wondering if we're about to get an official confirmation. 

Actually, when does her tour hit London? Wouldn't shock me if it was announced then so they can do interviews at the Dome and whatnot.

Next Tuesday 15th March......she's essentially there until 22nd....and then back 4th April.

Pretty sure we'll get an announcement to tie in before end of the month.