Kanye west confirmed

mike99

i find this reaction to kanye astonishing... its a festival for all kinds of music, if you want metal, you've got download, trashy pop, Vfest, rock, r&l... glasto provides for all of that in one and to me, (arguably) the biggest hip hop star alive is a fairly obvious choice

• Upvote 2

i find this reaction to kanye astonishing... its a festival for all kinds of music, if you want metal, you've got download, trashy pop, Vfest, rock, r&l... glasto provides for all of that in one and to me, (arguably) the biggest hip hop star alive is a fairly obvious choice

Exactly. Glastonbury is a festival for people who are open minded about contemporary performing arts.

If you want genre snobbery, then there's always Reading, Download, etc...

Something has just popped into my head ... Why do people generally dislike Kanye? What has he done to annoy so many people?

Surely it can't just be his award interruption? Or his occasional 'rants'? There seems actual hatred towards him and I'd just like to understand why?!

Something has just popped into my head ... Why do people generally dislike Kanye? What has he done to annoy so many people?

Surely it can't just be his award interruption? Or his occasional 'rants'? There seems actual hatred towards him and I'd just like to understand why?!

Because he's rich, outspoken and has a celebrity wife.

Never understood the point of hating celebrities, don't get me wrong - there are plenty of famous people I truly don't like - Clarkson, Farage, John Terry. But the act of directing hatred towards them just seems a complete waste of energy. There's nothing worse than impotent internet rage.

i don't know why Kanye specifically, but i offer you this anecdote..

a few years ago i was doing a bit of work in a radio station - it doesn't matter which, i suspect this happens a lot - and whenever a song that wasn't indie/rock came on, the amount of messages that came into the station was increased. and most were - being very dipomatic here - not very nice at all.

I don't get the reaction either... it's typical of the age of outrage we live in where everyone has to be disgusted with everything, but it's laughable.

I doubt I'll go to see him but it'll not have even the slightest effect on my enjoyment of the festival.

For those that do go, I can imagine it'll be a pretty good show

people dont want him to play because it's a niche genre headlining a mainstream festival. The same reason why people didnt want metallica, another niche genre, headlining last year.

Even arcade fire got complained about, as they are a tiny bit different from the norm.

Mainstream people at a mainstream festival want mainstream headliners. It's why there was no outcry about foo fighters.

It's not hard to understand is it?

The fact he's a got a celebrity wife and comes across as a knobhead is just a bonus, as it gives people something to focus their displeasure on.

Edited by russycarps

people dont want him to play because it's a niche genre headlining a mainstream festival. The same reason why people didnt want metallica, another niche genre, headlining last year.

Even arcade fire got complained about, as they are a tiny bit different from the norm.

Mainstream people at a mainstream festival want mainstream headliners. It's why there was no outcry about foo fighters.

The fact he's a got a celebrity wife and comes across as a knobhead is just a bonus, as it gives people something to focus their displeasure on.

does seem a bit more vitriolic tho..

For this reason alone I'm glad they booked him

Fair point and I understsnd what you're saying, but people had a 'hatred' of him before the Glastonbury announcement and his Brits appearance .. Both of which just seem to have fuelled the hate.