Kanye west confirmed

mike99

So evil people basically.

I'm not into Kanye, but if he stops UKIP supporters attending the festival, I vote for him headlining every year

really, how many of the tens of thousands who go to festivals under age 30 or even higher, do you think actually even turn out to vote?

The reaction to Kanye is laughable.

I've been to Glasto since 2010 and there hasn't been a Pyramid headliner I've been looking forward to more than him.

I think his rant days are behind him. He's still Kanye, he's still got an ego but his recent shows (London, Paris) seemed very much about his music. I could be wrong and I'd be willing to eat my words but I really don't think Glasto would have booked an artist that would leave the audience waiting for him to come on or would cut up his set with egotistical rants.

Each to their own but he's one act out of 150 plus. If you can't find any band to watch whilst he is playing or you can't enjoy the festival because one act is playing for 1 hour 30 minutes, I feel really sorry for you.

As soon as a niche act headlines people are scared the festival will become overrun with those acts I reckon.

They think kanye will open up the floodgates to the festival being dominated by hip hop (or that metallica will lead to metallers taking over, etc).

Of course it never happens, because the acts get exposed for what they are and the reasons they are niche become clear.

People are scared the festival will change into something they will no longer want to go to.

It's nothing to do with race. Stevie Wonder proved that.

While I agree with this analysis to a point, I don't think you can describe Kanye West as a niche act really can you, huge selling, highly awarded and critically acclaimed. I find it hard to believe that seven years on from Jay-Z all this has erupted again. There are a lot of small minded idiots out their that somehow claim the Festival as thier own Rock/Indie heritage, where as if you've been going as long as I have you'd know that it never really was that in the beginning and has changed with the times ever since.

Edited by bamber

You don't see any correlation between the two?

Yes, but you said people dont want him there because he is black AND american. So surely there should be some, if not to a lesser degree, outrage against Foos headlining or any other non UK headliners in the past?

The fact is as a hip hop artist, he is very good. Whether or not hip hop is a great live genre is massively debatable, but his recorded music, or a lot of it is great.

However, you cannot argue that the bloke is such a regularly publicly demonstrated jeb end, that this is the main reason why people dislike him so much and Glastonbury more than any other festival is almost, if not is, a British institution that is being headlined on the main night by a perceived fucking idiot.

However, ultimately for me, him headlining makes the festival no less attractive to me that the Foos headlining on the Friday, who I have no interest in seeing either. So much more to do than the Pyramid.

Edited by Big Vern

really, how many of the tens of thousands who go to festivals under age 30 or even higher, do you think actually even turn out to vote?

I'm not sure, but politics gets discussed quite often on this site and unlike many other festivals, at Glastonbury you can listen to interesting political discussions (in the left field).

Basically my view is this- if UKIP supporters are upset by Kanye headlining (if they are going to the festival or not) good, fuck them.

the Facebook reactions are truly ridiculous but highly entertaining. Oh and the petition to stop him performing is at 36,000!

hilarious. i wonder if some of these people actually think it will make the slightest bit of difference?

"sorry Kanye, we have to cancel your headline performance - a bunch of morons have signed some online petition against you headlining"

I wonder if he'll consider pulling out of playing at this rate? The petition to stop him playing is approaching 30,000 .. The negative comments on Glastonbury's Twitter/Facebook pages etc .. He will be aware of all this and I wonder if he can be bothered with all the hassle?

He's a huge name who hardly needs to prove himself and he shouldn't be victim to all of this. If it all becomes too much and he had a rant on stage .. It could be terrible for his career.

hilarious. i wonder if some of these people actually think it will make the slightest bit of difference?

"sorry Kanye, we have to cancel your headline performance - a bunch of morons have signed some online petition against you headlining"

That said, there are pure racial hatred comments on there too, not many, but hope they get noticed and reported to relevant authorities.

Nah, I'd hope that it just adds to the hype of the whole thing. If people have a problem with an artist playing, fuck 'em I say :P I do wonder if the Eavii are just loving the publicity regardless, that was the impression I've always got in the past about any controversy the festival has attracted (apart from some of the 90s lawlessness).

I wonder if he'll consider pulling out of playing at this rate? The petition to stop him playing is approaching 30,000 .. The negative comments on Glastonbury's Twitter/Facebook pages etc .. He will be aware of all this and I wonder if he can be bothered with all the hassle?

He's a huge name who hardly needs to prove himself and he shouldn't be victim to all of this. If it all becomes too much and he had a rant on stage .. It could be terrible for his career.

nah, i very much doubt it - just because a bunch of idiots are being vocal about their disapproval doesn't mean the people who want to see him should be punished for it. the guy's used to getting a lot of flack. although it definitely wouldn't surprise me if this all makes it into his 'rant'

Just seen the twitter photos he posted the other day of his naked wife saying how lucky he is. It's shit like this, the blatant sexual objectification of women, that add to him being a complete c**t.

It's bad enough that a lot of the hip hop industry does it in videos etc, but he is doing it in his spare time of his own accord.

Really, in keeping with Glastonbury ethics?

he just needs to have a word with his mate Jay, if he hasn't already.

this kind of shit happened in 2008 and it just built up the anticipation.

Just seen the twitter photos he posted the other day of his naked wife saying how lucky he is. It's shit like this, the blatant sexual objectification of women, that add to him being a complete c**t.

It's bad enough that a lot of the hip hop industry does it in videos etc, but he is doing it in his spare time of his own accord.

Really, in keeping with Glastonbury ethics?

what does his personal life have to do with his headline performance? people will find any reason to say he shouldn't play. i bet if we delve in to the twitter accounts of other headliners we can find a lot of faults with them too

what does his personal life have to do with his headline performance? people will find any reason to say he shouldn't play. i bet if we delve in to the twitter accounts of other headliners we can find a lot of faults with them too

People suddenly come over all Mary Whitehouse with regard to hip hop acts, but shrug it off when relentless misogynists like the Stones play.

• Upvote 3