Kanye west confirmed

mike99

... but I do have a question for some of his fans. Please accept this in the genuine way it is intended, I am interested.

Many of the positive comments about him state such things as 'he's a visionary, a genius' etc. What has he done that is different from others of the same genre? What makes him stand out from the crowd?

Anyone?

Anyone?

this is the opening track from his last album

and this is the opening track from the album he released at the height of his fame

what other commercial hip hop artists are releasing music like that? baring in mind that at the time of the release of the latter track, there was no Drake, no The Weeknd, no Frank Ocean etc - all of these artists were inspired by what he did on that album, and what he was doing on Yeezus was as far and away from commercial hip hop as you can imagine (especially for an artist of his size)

• Downvote 1

This track doesn't disappoint! Best Kanye tack for me at the moment, shame it's not commonly played but the intro chorus is just so good.

If you would have asked me what Kanye was like 7 days ago i'd have said rubbish musician, typical chart pop.

Well some of it could be classed as that and I'm not a rap convert BUT my answer now would be pretty different! A musician with worthy quality of a headline slot (sorry for the pun).

Edited by willutalk
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

This track doesn't disappoint! Best Kanye tack for me at the moment, shame it's not commonly played but the intro chorus is just so good.

If you would have asked me what Kanye was like 7 days ago i'd have said rubbish musician, typical chart pop.

Well some of it could be classed as that and I'm not a rap convert BUT my answer now would be pretty different! A musician with worthy quality of a headline slot (sorry for the pun).

i was obsessed with this song when MBDTF was released. still stands up as one of my favourites by Kanye. the video of him performing it from a cherry picker at Coachella is just brilliant

this is the opening track from his last album

Cut!

and this is the opening track from the album he released at the height of his fame

cut!

what other commercial hip hop artists are releasing music like that? baring in mind that at the time of the release of the latter track, there was no Drake, no The Weeknd, no Frank Ocean etc - all of these artists were inspired by what he did on that album, and what he was doing on Yeezus was as far and away from commercial hip hop as you can imagine (especially for an artist of his size)

Right. My problem being I don't know anything by the people you've mentioned so wouldn't know the influence. Arrgh. Trying to be positive.

I can hear that both tracks are very different from each other so he obviously differs his style a lot if this is anything to go by. The first one was bloody awful but at least had some life to it, albeit with questionable lyrics. The second one is a little dull though, no? Does he do that one live?

Does he change his style between all albums? Do you listen to stuff by Drake, Weeknd and Frank Ocean and istantly think, "That's Kanye's influence"?

I remember when I first heard "you ain't got no fucking yeezy" and just knowing this album would be quality.

almost 50000 votes on that shtoopid petition, unfuckingbelievable

I'm hoping Hov has a chat with him about the negative response he received when he was announced and how he went out and killed it and proved all the haters wrong and then Kanye's like "yeah man I'm gonna go out their and kill it and perform Send It Up and Guilt Trip".

I've kind of been imagining this conversation since the petition actually started getting traction. The boredom of A level year really does fuck with you a bit haha

That's the nearest one so far to something listenable.

I think it's time to give up. I've listened to a fair few of the tracks posted in the various Kanye threads and it's clear I'll never get it or understand the appeal. But that's the beauty of music. So musch to listen to, so many genres, one man's poison is another man's shiraz.

I'll leave you with one of my favourite recently discovered tracks so you can take the piss and wonder why I love it as much as I have with the Kanye stuff....

https://youtu.be/N_23qNpDvU8

While many others were completely ignored.

Anyway, I can't wait to hear if he goes off on a Louis Vuitton rant, or similar.

First headliner I can think of where a lot of people might go purely for the potential car crash appeal.

First "non-musical" headliner from a certain perspective.

I'm hoping Hov has a chat with him about the negative response he received when he was announced and how he went out and killed it and proved all the haters wrong and then Kanye's like "yeah man I'm gonna go out their and kill it and perform Send It Up and Guilt Trip".

I've kind of been imagining this conversation since the petition actually started getting traction. The boredom of A level year really does fuck with you a bit haha

Nah, Hold My Liquor. Accept no substitutes.

That's the nearest one so far to something listenable.

I think it's time to give up. I've listened to a fair few of the tracks posted in the various Kanye threads and it's clear I'll never get it or understand the appeal. But that's the beauty of music. So musch to listen to, so many genres, one man's poison is another man's shiraz.

Fair enough, you kept an open mind. That's more than most. I leave you with one of his older tracks, just in case.

Nah, Hold My Liquor. Accept no substitutes.

How about just an underrated kanye setlist:

Say You Will

Welcome to Heartbreak

Hold my Liquor

Gorgeous

Hell of A Life

Blame Game

Paranoid

We Don't Care

The New Workout Plan

Roses

Crack Music

Gone (ft. Consequence and Cam'ron)

Devil in a new Dress (with Rick Ross performing his incredible verse)

Send It Up

On Sight

Guilt Trip

I'm In It

Murder to excellence (with Jay Z)

---encore---

Family Business

Drive Slow

Hey Mama

---encore 2---

Blood on the leaves like 5 times cos its a fucking amazing song and everyone knows it

Edit: forgot Gorgeous

Edited by klipper

Devil In A New Dress twice? i can dig that

Edited out now, but seriously this should be a staple of his live set, best song on MBDTF, perfectly blends new and old kanye, its the song I show anyone if they wanna get into kanye e.g. showed it to 2 of my friends who are coming to glasto this year about 1 1/2 years ago, they now love yeezy and we're all so pumped for his headline slot.