Kanye west confirmed

mike99

Yeah, U2 with the tax thing as well.

I think hate is a strong word. He comes across as a bit of a parody of himself these days, in the same way that bono does. As with all things Glastonbury the vast majority of the people vocally complaining would never go to the festival in the first place.

Metallica had the hunting thing, and that was jumped on too.

While many others were completely ignored.

Anyway, I can't wait to hear if he goes off on a Louis Vuitton rant, or similar.

First headliner I can think of where a lot of people might go purely for the potential car crash appeal.

Edited by The Nal

I dunno, I think that's only because of his wife, and his antics.

Metallica had the hunting thing, and that was jumped on too.

There was a protest (of sorts) for U2 regarding the tax.

People are saying it's Racist.... SOME scum are being racist, but those scum will always do that. They will have made those comments about stevie wonder, but there wasn't this outcry why he was announced was there?

Russy's point is correct for me. Stevie is more mainstream

:rolleyes:

No, because he's a self-centred twat.

As everyone who sees him at Glasto is likely to find out for themselves.

i see he hasnt tweted about his glastonbury performance at all(he's pretty active on twitter), i wonder if it means much to him?

Edited by neil999

The booking of Kanye has allowed a perfect storm of internet comment rage from people who are gagging to slag off the festival, people who are gagging to slag off Kanye and people who think that Status Quo are the ideal headliner. I stupidly clicked on the profiles of some of the people posting vitriol on the facebook announcement and was wholly unsurprised to find most of them had no interest in music but alot of interest in Union Jacks and immigration law.

One way to completely derail the gig. Get an "I Love Sausage" flag but also print a picture of his missus getting horsed out of it from that sex tape and wave it in his face.

Whats the deal with these two? Who the fuck talks about this sort of shit to the press? And in this much detail?

The booking of Kanye has allowed a perfect storm of internet comment rage from people who are gagging to slag off the festival, people who are gagging to slag off Kanye and people who think that Status Quo are the ideal headliner. I stupidly clicked on the profiles of some of the people posting vitriol on the facebook announcement and was wholly unsurprised to find most of them had no interest in music but alot of interest in Union Jacks and immigration law.

This absolutely, from a small minority. U2, Metallica and now Kanye, not British, protests.

Edited by The Nal

There was a protest (of sorts) for U2 regarding the tax.

People are saying it's Racist.... SOME scum are being racist, but those scum will always do that. They will have made those comments about stevie wonder, but there wasn't this outcry why he was announced was there?

Russy's point is correct for me. Stevie is more mainstream

well no, but kanye does have a very different image and represent things people love to hate

Someone did post a tweet of his about it

Yeah he did tweet about it (just an 'excited to announce' type affair), but soon deleted it, probably on account of how much negativity it received.

I agree that this is a perfect storm for cowardly keyboard warriors, who're looking for the next thing to project their angst onto. Glastonbury? Kanye? A petition? An opportunity to hurl some bile around? A sense of being part of a zeitgeist? Check.

None of these things are grounds to afford the perpetrators the slightest bit of attention. I hope they all get a refund and don't go, but then we know most of them don't have a ticket anyway.

Edited by kalifire

I love the fact people like you keep in telling yourself hatred of kanye has anything to do with race or nationality etc......mate I'm as left wing and liberal as can be, I detest anything to do with racism or nationalist bullshit.......I just happen to think he's absoutly shit and an egotistical twat in the bargin....stop fooling yourself his race or the fact he's not british has ANYTHING to do with the reason most people can't stand the man,

I've pretty much at peace with him playing, fuck it as others have said there's a LOT of other stages that's the beauty of glasto......and I will admit to winding a tad before to keep things interesting (forums been sodding boring till this kanye announcement) but you still won't convince me the mans talented or 'not' an asshole....and that has nothing to do with his race or where he's from haha

the reason you dont want him to play is the same reason a lot of people didnt want metallica to play.

Shit acts fronted by c**ts.

Edited by russycarps

stop fooling yourself his race or the fact he's not british has ANYTHING to do with the reason most people can't stand the man

Well there's as little argument that there is as that there isn't, in fairness. The fact that you personally are comfortable that he's black and American doesn't extend to anyone else. Nobody is going to come right out and say it, but there are undertones that are quite telling. And even aside from that, who on earth thinks they have the right to start demanding what genre of music, or even type of person, gets to play for 90 minutes on one stage on one night?

Some of the shrieks from the mob imply that Glastonbury owes them something other than the thousands of artists of all kinds of music and other creative arts on dozens and dozens of stages at the same time. It's the kind of self-indulgent egocentricity that they're criticising Kanye for. Irony is lost in the wind.

• Upvote 1

Well there's as little argument that there is as that there isn't, in fairness. The fact that you personally are comfortable that he's black and American doesn't extend to anyone else. Nobody is going to come right out and say it, but there are undertones that are quite telling. And even aside from that, who on earth thinks they have the right to start demanding what genre of music, or even type of person, gets to play for 90 minutes on one stage on one night?

Some of the shrieks from the mob imply that Glastonbury owes them something other than the thousands of artists of all kinds of music and other creative arts on dozens and dozens of stages at the same time. It's the kind of self-indulgent egocentricity that they're criticising Kanye for. Irony is lost in the wind.

As soon as a niche act headlines people are scared the festival will become overrun with those acts I reckon.

They think kanye will open up the floodgates to the festival being dominated by hip hop (or that metallica will lead to metallers taking over, etc).

Of course it never happens, because the acts get exposed for what they are and the reasons they are niche become clear.

People are scared the festival will change into something they will no longer want to go to.

It's nothing to do with race. Stevie Wonder proved that.

I love the fact people like you keep in telling yourself hatred of kanye has anything to do with race or nationality etc......mate I'm as left wing and liberal as can be, I detest anything to do with racism or nationalist bullshit.......I just happen to think he's absoutly shit and an egotistical twat in the bargin....stop fooling yourself his race or the fact he's not british has ANYTHING to do with the reason most people can't stand the man,

I've pretty much at peace with him playing, fuck it as others have said there's a LOT of other stages that's the beauty of glasto......and I will admit to winding a tad before to keep things interesting (forums been sodding boring till this kanye announcement) but you still won't convince me the mans talented or 'not' an asshole....and that has nothing to do with his race or where he's from haha

I've no doubt that most of the posters on here, including yourself, aren't forming their opinion based on nationalism and the like.

(that said I think a high percentage of those who can't get past his behaviour are probably not fans of hip-hop in general)

I'm also in no doubt that social media ukip loving idiots are using the announcement as a rather far fetched reason to proclaim another nail in the coffin of dear old blighty.

You'd be naive to think otherwise.

You are entitled to your opinion, but "people like me" aren't actually trying to convince anyone that he's talented, a nice bloke or anything of the kind. I'm certainly enjoying the public reaction to his booking from people who clearly would never have an interest in going to the festival anyway.

I know alot of people post here, so it's hard to keep up, but I actually don't like Kanye west. I think he's a bit of a tit and his music isn't something that particularly interests me. The public reaction has interested me though, it's been most entertaining.

I've no doubt that most of the posters on here, including yourself, aren't forming their opinion based on nationalism and the like.

(that said I think a high percentage of those who can't get past his behaviour are probably not fans of hip-hop in general)

I'm also in no doubt that social media ukip loving idiots are using the announcement as a rather far fetched reason to proclaim another nail in the coffin of dear old blighty.

You'd be naive to think otherwise.

so why not the same furore for Foo Fighters?