Flo

matt2007

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is most definitely not the case.

having been involved with bookings for a few festivals, i know it is certainly the case for several that occur later than Glastonbury.

you only have to look at the many festivals already announcing their headliners before Xmas or in January to know that is the case.

many big bands plan world tours a year in advance.

i know that mid-level acts are shopped around to festivals/promoters in the Autumn. Nick Cave for instance had his agency contacting promoters in September 2012 for summer 2013 gigs/festivals.

a friend's band played early in the Acoustic Tent last year and knew in January that they were playing, and they're basically nobodies in the grand scheme of things.

maybe Glastonbury is unlike basically every other festival going and leaves its headliner bookings until a few months before the festival, during which headliners will have already planned their whole summer, but I seriously doubt Glastonbury's planning is that shambolic to be honest.

Edited by ghostdancer1

Well, I don't have any experience in booking bands for any function whatsoever but I do know of a number of Glastonbury headliners who weren't booked into well into the new year.

Maybe because Glastonbury doesn't pay 'the going rate', they have to wait for bands to explore all other possibilites before committing to appear.

The Glastonbury man documentary (centred around the 2000 festival) had them still seeking to fill all the slots for Headliners in February and them gnashing their teeth over whether they could get the Chems (who eventually headlined) at the time of the NME awards. In fairness that was the last year of the old organisation before Melvin Benn came in and the fence came up, so no doubt things have become more organised since then.

but why

the single only narrowly made the top 40, the album ain't gonna promote itself. Unless there's a jolly good reason, it'd be pure insanity from her team to let her only do Glasto when this record has the potential to do such big numbers

my suspicion that she's doing BST as an exclusive grows with every UK announcement that passes without her name included. only explanation for me

Hang on, so this massively popular act with her huge comeback single that everyone has been eagerly waiting years for, barely made the top 40?

I see.

Hang on, so this massively popular act with her huge comeback single that everyone has been eagerly waiting years for, barely made the top 40?

I see.

Yes, because people are preordering the album which comes with an instant download of the single.

Conscious record company decision not to go for a high charting single. Few artists who sell lots of albums have hit singles any more.

You will of course remember the David Bowie single when he did the comeback going to #6 on the charts. Had it not been an album preorder incentive, I'm sure it would have been #1. Florence's new single is obviously less of a big deal than Bowie but it's the same principle.

Edited by theouterlimits