Hot Chip warm up gig Birmingham 20th Feb

hurdy

I've been bought tickets to go and see them on the friday at brixton. I enjoyed them in 2010, but then I was fizzing with excitement at the prospect of seeing the flaming lips after so was in a very euphoric mood.

I have a bad feeling they wont translate well to an indoor venue and it'll be a load of old shit. Hopefully that isnt the case.

• Replies 788
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been bought tickets to go and see them on the friday at brixton. I enjoyed them in 2010, but then I was fizzing with excitement at the prospect of seeing the flaming lips after so was in a very euphoric mood.

I have a bad feeling they wont translate well to an indoor venue and it'll be a load of old shit. Hopefully that isnt the case.

They were stonking when I saw them in Manchester in spring.

Yeah, i thought the crowd at west holts for them was a bit dickish too. It was good, but maybe not as good as i'd hoped, through no fault of Hot Chip. They front loaded that set with hits, it just, i dunno, failed to really soar, for me. I hink they'd have bedn better subbing on the Pyramid. Would have knocked it out the park

Want to swap your Friday tickets for my Thursday ones? They'll be fresher on the Thursday...

Couldn't find any other Hot Chip thread to discuss this, but I was just having a look back at Hot Chip playing Over and Over at the West Holts this year, where I had an unbelievable night overall, but particuarly loved Over and Over. 

However had a look at Over and Over being played at in 2010 (I didn't attend that year) and they seemed to play it at quite a lot quicker tempo, and certainly looking on Youtube,  a better performance overall, more energy etc. 

Not to take anything away from the performance this year, loved every second, more of an observation if anything! 

Edited by Tyonks

Couldn't find any other Hot Chip thread to discuss this, but I was just having a look back at Hot Chip playing Over and Over at the West Holts this year, where I had an unbelievable night overall, but particuarly loved Over and Over. 

However had a look at Over and Over being played at in 2010 (I didn't attend that year) and they seemed to play it at quite a lot quicker tempo, and certainly looking on Youtube,  a better performance overall, more energy etc. 

Not to take anything away from the performance this year, loved every second, more of an observation if anything! 

I just saw it as someone has recently uploaded the show to Youtube and I made a right cock or setting everything to record this year.

It really was a great set, I can almost forgive the cover at the end as I enjoyed it so much, both there at the time and watching it at home last Friday night!

I thought it was all a bit meh overall, and was a tad disappointed with them if I am honest. When they was good, they was very very good, but I don't something didn't click with me, the setlist pacing was bit odd. Very stop/start everytime I thought it had got going. Didn't really get into the crowd either, lot of dicks around I thought. Even when i went further back to avoid them.

Nah

• 2 weeks later...

You'll find with Hot Chip there's a lot of variation in the way they play their songs from one gigi to the next. When Over and Over used to be their final song it was a bit longer and kind of built up to a climax.

Hot Chip, always play in a different Styleeeee...... like Aswad. :)

You'll find with Hot Chip there's a lot of variation in the way they play their songs from one gigi to the next. When Over and Over used to be their final song it was a bit longer and kind of built up to a climax.

They seem to take particular pleasure in reworking Ready For The Floor. Different every time, that song.

Fucking magic at Green Man, I was prepared for All My Friends this time and went fooking ballistic. I'll be sad when this tour's over, four shows isn't enough for me, I need more! Roll on Manchester.

I need tickets for Manchester 1st :-(

How did their set differ at Green man to Glasto?

I need tickets for Manchester 1st :-(

How did their set differ at Green man to Glasto?

Pretty much only in the sense that they brought Sinkane and other Atomic Bomb guys on instead of Carribou, and the only setlist difference I noted (having rinsed the fuck out of the G set on iplayer) was Started Right being played instead of Don't Deny Your Heart. Crowd wasn't as good by any stretch of the imagination, but it was really easy to get a brilliant spot, with dancing space.