geeky techie chat about the ticket sale

Swine_Glasto2014

Yeh, that's what I am thinking now. It makes for great chat, this thread is testament to that, but my fear is that in trying multiple browser windows, the use of F5 etc may actually lesson your chance of getting that ordering page open.

It's a bit like entering a lottery - the more tickets (attempts at loading the ordering page) you have, the better chance you have of winning.

The problem here is that the "tickets" are free for everyone, regardless of how many times they try, which is why See's servers struggle so much. There's no harm in trying again and again.

If you're really unsure about multiple tabs etc. then just do the following:

- Download and install 4 or 5 different browsers (if you don't have a few already) before sale day.

- On sale day, open a single tab in each browser and cycle between them all every 15 seconds ish, pressing F5.

- Get all your friends, their friends, and their friends' friends to do the same from a different IP address.

That's all you can do, really. The rest is pure luck.

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a bit like entering a lottery - the more tickets (attempts at loading the ordering page) you have, the better chance you have of winning.

The problem here is that the "tickets" are free for everyone, regardless of how many times they try, which is why See's servers struggle so much. There's no harm in trying again and again.

If you're really unsure about multiple tabs etc. then just do the following:

- Download and install 4 or 5 different browsers (if you don't have a few already) before sale day.

- On sale day, open a single tab in each browser and cycle between them all every 15 seconds ish, pressing F5.

- Get all your friends, their friends, and their friends' friends to do the same from a different IP address.

That's all you can do, really. The rest is pure luck.

Really good advice, thanks.

What the hec is Tor?

Really good advice, thanks.

What the hec is Tor?

The Onion Relay.

It was designed to anonymise you on the internet. Basically rather than connecting straight to a site, you connect to a different server, which connects to another, and so on, ending eventually at the site you want.

It's slow and actually not 100% anonymous.

It's also overkill for getting tickets (you only need one relay) but it would in thory work just fine.

If you want to try it you have to download and install the program, which then piggybacks on your browser to redirect the data.

Does anyone know the answer to this: Do Seetickets have an automatic mechanism to switch on ticket sales at precisely 09:00:00, if so I guess it improves chances if we try to be as exact to this as possible, or do you need to be slightly in advance to give a few seconds for the connection to be made?

Yeah you're not at any disadvantage using multiple PCs - the more attempts you can make, the better.

Wouldn't see the need to use different browsers though Stuartbert...? I just have several tabs open in a single browser.

there's no difference using multiple PCs to using one PC with many different browsers, if they're all using the same IP address.

Multiple tabs in one browser is no advantage over one tab in that browser. The browser will only use one session, no matter how many tabs you have open.

Does anyone know the answer to this: Do Seetickets have an automatic mechanism to switch on ticket sales at precisely 09:00:00, if so I guess it improves chances if we try to be as exact to this as possible, or do you need to be slightly in advance to give a few seconds for the connection to be made?

I believe the system is switched on manually, on the basis that it's seeming 'opened' for business just a shade before 9 in most years (if not every year).

You can use Multi Fox for Firefox to get a separate session ID per tab there is also something similar for Chrome.

or Firefox's "private window" feature.

Personally, I'm going for using all of the browsers i have installed on my PC each with one tab each.

The year I've had the least success was the year I went for the biggest set-up, of around ten devices on 6 different IP addresses (I've got a number of IP addresses as an extra to my broadband package).... and I didn't get a sniff. So I'm keeping it simple.

in the Glastonbury spirit of fairness and equality, nobody should be using more than a single tab in a single browser on a single device.  trying to jib the system with all this sci-fi jiggery pokery is akin to jumping the fence in the 90s, and look where that got us.

And you can only buy a single ticket for yourself?

some of my WBC Team work in the Computer unit that contains all the servers for the Seeticket sale .

anyone who claims they can access a backdoor { to extra servers / IP addresses } may get away with it for a few seconds but they are watching out for people who share a address and they can shut it down  as quick as a click of a mouse.

They use ' dedicated physical server's ' and can ' override ' the balance load function - 

When they first got the contract - that was the year that people were sharing direct address's  but by the time they got authority to shut it down - most had slipped though the queue { people  were passing on links using social media }

They have new instructions in place just so they can make it as a fair as possible.

The only way you can be certain that the plug will not be pulled is to enter the official front door - sure you may be lucky but you may end up wasting time and then find out your at a dead end as you wont know until you click the confirm button.

some of my WBC Team work in the Computer unit that contains all the servers for the Seeticket sale .

anyone who claims they can access a backdoor { to extra servers / IP addresses } may get away with it for a few seconds but they are watching out for people who share a address and they can shut it down as quick as a click of a mouse.

They use ' dedicated physical server's ' and can ' override ' the balance load function -

When they first got the contract - that was the year that people were sharing direct address's but by the time they got authority to shut it down - most had slipped though the queue { people were passing on links using social media }

They have new instructions in place just so they can make it as a fair as possible.

The only way you can be certain that the plug will not be pulled is to enter the official front door - sure you may be lucky but you may end up wasting time and then find out your at a dead end as you wont know until you click the confirm button.

Ah good old See wanting to make it as fair as possible for everyone. Pretty sure there's no way that anyone in See's tech dept would exploit any kind of admin access to gain any kind of advantage either....yhey're all round good guys there you know....

It's ironic though, perhaps hypocritical even, that the very kind of 'backdoor' they speak of was last created by their own hands, and some speculate deliberately too, and those that exploited it did so using publicly available information and pretty simple tech knowledge to do so. They hint at gaining such an advantage being in some way underhand or wrong but it's actually no different to anyone listening to the traffic news and figuring out a different route to avoid a jam to get to work on time.

As for other servers I know of at least 2 IP'S for See servers that are outside the advertised DNS pool that will load a page and service a ticket booking even today,and I successfully used one of them to buy a ticket in the April 2014 resale. Both of these 'servers' however were blocked for use during the 2015 main sale and resale - I suspect by simply closing the Web service to requests but leaving the devices available to use for DR etc if needed at any point.

I'm all for things being 'fair' but since when did having freely gained knowledge to get an advantage in life become 'un-fair'?

Ah good old See wanting to make it as fair as possible for everyone. Pretty sure there's no way that anyone in See's tech dept would exploit any kind of admin access to gain any kind of advantage either....yhey're all round good guys there you know....

It's ironic though, perhaps hypocritical even, that the very kind of 'backdoor' they speak of was last created by their own hands, and some speculate deliberately too, and those that exploited it did so using publicly available information and pretty simple tech knowledge to do so. They hint at gaining such an advantage being in some way underhand or wrong but it's actually no different to anyone listening to the traffic news and figuring out a different route to avoid a jam to get to work on time.

As for other servers I know of at least 2 IP'S for See servers that are outside the advertised DNS pool that will load a page and service a ticket booking even today,and I successfully used one of them to buy a ticket in the April 2014 resale. Both of these 'servers' however were blocked for use during the 2015 main sale and resale - I suspect by simply closing the Web service to requests but leaving the devices available to use for DR etc if needed at any point.

I'm all for things being 'fair' but since when did having freely gained knowledge to get an advantage in life become 'un-fair'?

they have a laptop plugged straight into it - no conspiracy and they don't need to set up a extra secret address for mates to use and by the way Seeticket rent the extra servers so they are not Seeticket employees - we all work at Glastonbury so there is no need to buy any tickets anyway.

use any address you want - you will not find it as easy as it used to be.each year they analyse the page calls so they can see if people are not following the correct path - most were used to test the system and then they forgot they were there - a easy mistake to make.

Imagine if you connected to a server outside the normal load balancer and thought you had a sneaky advantage, bought all your tickets for friends and family, got called a hero......then no confirmation comes and it turns out you were connected to a test system and not the live system. That would be horrible.

Imagine if you connected to a server outside the normal load balancer and thought you had a sneaky advantage, bought all your tickets for friends and family, got called a hero......then no confirmation comes and it turns out you were connected to a test system and not the live system. That would be horrible.

Exactly...which is why I don't do it now. I did it once...got lucky...but with the connection now being blocked during main sales I'm sure they have such a loophole covered.

Exactly...which is why I don't do it now. I did it once...got lucky...but with the connection now being blocked during main sales I'm sure they have such a loophole covered.

They could set it up as an evil trap to spite the geeks getting an unfair advantage. Surely no one could be that cruel!