geeky techie chat about the ticket sale

Swine_Glasto2014

If there isn't something 'regional' going on, can anyone explain (politely) the perceived increased numbers of festie-goers from the North West coming each year... is it just a changing demographic we're seeing?

We in the north west, do occasionally leave the region to attend events, you know- you probably just didnt notice us going to your events, eating your foods, stealing your jobs, etc etc. until you came up with your regional conspiracy theory.

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If there isn't something 'regional' going on, can anyone explain (politely) the perceived increased numbers of festie-goers from the North West coming each year... is it just a changing demographic we're seeing?

North west? You mean Stockport, Preston, Blackburn, Lancaster, Rosssendale, Lake District, maybe even Manchester? Those the areas that you're talking about?

Edited by stuartbert two hats

I didn't get tickets having successfully got tickets every year since 2002 (although sat out 2009 and 2014).

As there were no backdoors this year, assuming you were organised enough to be on-line at 0900 and had a connection and a browser you had as much chance as anyone else. It is luck.

Saying that, the whole setup sort of favours large groups going. Wouldn't surprise me if there was a maximum of 4 tickets next year.

It's a question I may have asked before, I can't remember. No agenda and am not the guy who made a particularly snotty post on the subject, hence the request for politeness.

Oh ok fair enough,I don't keep tabs on what everybody says,the one accent i have noticed myself is the amount of upper middle class accents but I'm putting that down to accents changing in the last twenty years,regional accents seem to becoming more scarce in recent years especially in London,the next generation sound like budding hoorays to me but the parents don't.

Had one girl say to me this year at Glastonbury ''OMG your a proper Cockerney,you never hear that any more''.

I'm not btw,I'm west London.

I'd guess that it's either that the north west got particularly lucky this year - after all, luck will have one place coming out on top - or that it's about the perception rather than fact.

From my own perspective, it appears to be the case that certain areas of the country are more enamoured by social media, forums, etc, and so then end up putting more of their life online. So perhaps that's it?

Or perhaps, even, that they're a demographic which ends up making more noise about having got their tickets, and it's just as simple as that.

I know there was a suggestion last year that some sort of regional allowances were being used, but to me that seems to be unnecessary and too-complex for a seller of something to bother with. The point of that seller is to sell, and it shouldn't bother that seller who they sell to. Then again, if they'd noticed previously that far too many were getting 'lucky' from a particular region when compared with the regionality of the registrations, then they would perhaps put something in place.

We are from the North West, it is true. We all had a different link to the rest of the country. We got it in this weeks what whippet magazine.

Ours, over't Pennines was in Coal Pit Monthly (incorporating Slack Quarterly) lad.

ill be coming from the north west, Liverpool to be specific. There is a massive amount of talk amongst the scouse about Glastonbury, everyone knows someone who goes every year and loves it, so that in turn makes more people from there want to go. I obviously don't know, but maybe the 'Glastonbry buzz' isn't so alive/talked about/wide spread in other regions.

Also if the film portrayed it correctly, historically the festival Is quite antiestablishmentary and left wing - you can't get more left wing or anti-police than the north west.

Edited by keeno

Anyone outside zone 3,Northerners,north or south, ;)

Typical Londoner, talking about London versions of things as if they're the only one. They're always doing it on telly. There's been no mention of London in the conversation so far, yet it's always assumed that a location in London is being referred to, not anywhere else.

Let's be clear - Hyde Park is down the road from Woodhouse in Leeds. Piccadilly is a train station in Manchester and Zone 3 is a transport region in Huddersfield (probably)

Edited by stuartbert two hats

Sounds like a few people wanting tickets weren't lucky. Lucky, that is, to be born in Yorkshire, but hey, we'll let you visit.

Moving on from that, ee by gum, we got t'tickets via someone in t'Yorkshire, as well as from near Glastonbury, so I'm not sure how See managed our traffic this time for a Northern immigration....

RE the first para...I had the same fears...which is why before the resale I tested it by running through the entire process to buy a ticket to a random gig somewhere....I got all the way to the Submit payment stage but stopped there. For the resale I did purchase a ticket for a friend which duly arrived and a good time was had, although I wasn't totally sure until the ticket actually hit the mat.

Re second para I think you may be correct in one or other of those scenarios....just not sure which. In any case the facts are that for at least the last resale, and the recent coach sale, I was able to purchase a ticket using a Host file hack to a non-advertised See Server while another laptop with standard DNS failed repeatedly.

Would you have been confident however that during last Sundays ticket sale that after pushing submit, those servers were definitely connected to the payment processing system and that the transaction would have been successful.... Don't know that I would have been.

All interesting though - See will be aware of any direct hits by clients appearing in the logs so its up to them whether they chose to secure them or not from this practice.

Would you have been confident however that during last Sundays ticket sale that after pushing submit, those servers were definitely connected to the payment processing system and that the transaction would have been successful.... Don't know that I would have been.

All interesting though - See will be aware of any direct hits by clients appearing in the logs so its up to them whether they chose to secure them or not from this practice.

no..i wouldn't have been totally confident...which is why i sweated over the ticket i bought this way in the resale....for the main sale i had already decided that if the link worked i wouldn't use it unless i was getting nowhere with the standard route...which to be honest i was thinking would be around the 40 minute mark. good job i didn't have to rely on it seeing as it sold out after 27 minutes then!

given that the direct connection to the other server disappeared seconds before the main sale on Sunday i'd say they have spotted it/me/them/us and have taken steps to close it off. as i've mentioned earlier it came back within 10 minutes of the 'sold out' being declared and still works now.

Because strong, regional accents such as the North East and North West stand out. Southern accents tend to be softer (with perhaps the exception of cockney) and aren't noticed so much?

As a West Country lad, anything north of Exeter stands out to me. I suspect people from the North East or West would probably argue that there's loads of 'bloody southerners' at the Festival because the southern accents stand out more to them.

Like you say, it's perceived. By you.

Edited by Keithy