geeky techie chat about the ticket sale

Swine_Glasto2014

I got tickets twice on both Wednesday and Sunday. Wednesday I was VPN'd into work via a server in NYC (I didn't realise until after, I'd forgotten to disconnect), today was on standard home BT fibre connection. Both times had two windows up with a 1 second auto refresh on in Chrome. Took about 10 seconds to get in on Wednesday, about ten minutes today.

So today it took about 1200 attempts at hitting the server this morning before I got a hit. Could have just as easily been 4000 attempts and no hits. Pot luck -- but as it's on chance, the more times you try the better chance you have.

Edited by majormajormajor

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

our combined set up [we all work in IT]

[1]11 connections [each with a unique RIPE IP] on a 1Gig un contended connection.

[2] 3 PC on a 2 Mb ADSL, ,

[3] 5 PCs on 56mb with 3 browsers per PC

[4] 2 PCs on 76 mb ADSL

[5] 1 laptops on a 10Mb ADSL

[6] 2 PC on neighbors borrowed wifi [so 2 unique IP] ....

[67 3 international VPNs, 2 different UK VPNs

This is using 4 different ISPs and every type of browser, a total of 17 unique IP addresses

what got in ? a bloody Samsung Galaxy 3 Tablet slung in at the last minute because one of the family had no pc/laptop to use. Not only that - it got in twice

2 PC's, 4 lap tops, two tablets, but mostly all on different IP addresses. 60 Mb download on fibre, VPN's, 4g etc. All using different browsers, using different links etc. at one house, then another 14 people using mutable screens, PC's, laptops, tablets all using different browsers and where possible different IP addresses

Not a sniff

One daughters boyfriend on 3g iphone straight in.

I got tickets twice on both Wednesday and Sunday. Wednesday I was VPN'd into work via a server in NYC (I didn't realise until after, I'd forgotten to disconnect), today was on standard home BT fibre connection. Both times had two windows up with a 1 second auto refresh on in Chrome. Took about 10 seconds to get in on Wednesday, about ten minutes today.

So today it took about 1200 attempts at hitting the server this morning before I got a hit. Could have just as easily been 4000 attempts and no hits. Pot luck -- but as it's on chance, the more times you try the better chance you have.

How does the auto refresh work? Does it just keep hitting the URL until a different page is served up, then stop?

WIth 'Auto Refresh Plus' on Chrome you can set the auto-refresh to keep requesting the URL at any preset time interval (eg 1 second), but to stop and alert you if it detects a certain key-word, or indeed if a certain key-word disappears.

I've tried it, but always when I was successful it was with the good old digit on my very own hand what done it.

Not sure it's of any interest but i got on to the booking page about 7 times on the laptop that i was using via a VPN via a US proxy. Got two lots of tickets. On my other two lappies going via local ISP i got not a sniff.

It was the same set up i used last year when i got them on the first click in the resale.

I reckon there is something in that.

had 2 pages open on tablet.. One reg page. One confirm reg page and both went to page not found after 9am. even after re submitting and refresh. pointless.

Thought I'd been clever too, 2 different browsers on PC, same result! I read during the week that 5co77ie did it also, did he get a ticket, not seen it mentioned?

Edited by whisty

Third year lucky - very grateful! Used iphone and iPad on 3G (which worked the first year) - very slow, holding page only. Slow work laptop, holding page only, auto refreshed v slowly.

MacBook with 4 browsers - all got holding page at 9am then let them all auto refresh with some manual refreshing. Firefox v slow, chrome and opera refreshed instantly. Got through on safari with no idea whether it auto refreshed or whether I did it. Slight delay loading the page stopped me from nearly refreshing the booking page! No crashing at all, got smoothly through each stage pasting in 5x regs. 9.15 am.

I agree - pure luck!

Thank you ticket gods!!!!

My strategy failed. I couldn't even implement my ultra-fast input technique because all I got was this:

FireShotScreenCapture023-Problemloadingp

There were other times I got the hold screen, but it really did feel like I was battling to just get a connection and hold, not get the booking screen.

Two things I noticed:

1. Occasionally I tried the CTRL+F5 technique to not just re-fresh but to re-download the entire page. Doing so was a MASSIVE mistake and lost me my hold page, throwing me out completely so I'd get the screen above.

2. My iPhone, which I was using on auto-refresh in the background, was connected to my wireless and not 3G. I was torn about which to use, but plumped for the wireless network for the sake of speed. Again, I'm chalking that up as a mistake and next time, I'll use 3G just because there's no chance the site would see that as a duplicate request.

That said, the iPhone app worked brilliantly and never got the screen above even once. It was refreshing every second and was simply unlucky.

My strategy failed. I couldn't even implement my ultra-fast input technique because all I got was this:

FireShotScreenCapture023-Problemloadingp

There were other times I got the hold screen, but it really did feel like I was battling to just get a connection and hold, not get the booking screen.

Two things I noticed:

1. Occasionally I tried the CTRL+F5 technique to not just re-fresh but to re-download the entire page. Doing so was a MASSIVE mistake and lost me my hold page, throwing me out completely so I'd get the screen above.

2. My iPhone, which I was using on auto-refresh in the background, was connected to my wireless and not 3G. I was torn about which to use, but plumped for the wireless network for the sake of speed. Again, I'm chalking that up as a mistake and next time, I'll use 3G just because there's no chance the site would see that as a duplicate request.

That said, the iPhone app worked brilliantly and never got the screen above even once. It was refreshing every second and was simply unlucky.

Shit, are you ticketless too? Edited by stuartbert two hats

Wife was trying, only got to the holding page on an iPad.

I just got an "unable to reach server" message from my attempts on an iMac.

Had mother in law in NZ trying, Dad trying, nothing. It was a mate of mine who ended up getting lucky.

The initial lack of any holding page made me think See Tickets had died a death again.

I had 1 laptop with chrome and ie, and 1 with Firefox and ie, 2 iPads all on wifi via Virgin. And my phone on 4g. Got the holding page on all of them, with the occasional timeout, which always seemed to be sorted by a quick refresh.....

Got through on chrome, and shut down the iPads and one laptop. The other laptop was still refreshing while I told everyone tickets were booked, and it eventually just went to the sold out page.

It would be interesting to find out why some people kept getting timed out.....

So here's the weird thing, if I go and type www.glastonbury.seetickets.com right this second, I get the same message I was getting all morning "Unable to find partner site".

Yet if I go to see tickets website and follow the links from there, it ends up in the same place, but with the Sold Out page.

Anyone know why this would be?!

So here's the weird thing, if I go and type www.glastonbury.seetickets.com right this second, I get the same message I was getting all morning "Unable to find partner site".

Yet if I go to see tickets website and follow the links from there, it ends up in the same place, but with the Sold Out page.

Because you're entering a "www." that no one has told you to enter

because the url is glastonbury.seetickets.com there is no www its the same if you go to the IP address that glast.see.cm

I used the check for change add on with firefox, basically auto refreshes at a set time, all i got was a timeout page, not a sniff and i the past thats how I've got them, ipad came good in the end

This year I tried only the one machine and one browser - and had success.

Last year was multiple unique IP addresses from 5 different isps (2 landline, 3 mobile), desktops, tablets, laptops, mobiles, different operating systems, different browsers - all as much as I could set up. And I got the first screen just once but it wouldn't submit those details and I failed.

Some people always get thru. When other things don't get thru, they convince themselves that the thing that worked was somehow more special than the things that did not.

Me too. One mac, Safari, one tab open (plus eFests chat!) and a cool head.

Every year 3 or 4 of us get together in the same room, all start trying to access the page at about 8:45 and every year it's me who gets through first and gets the tickets. Almost a complete waste of time the others coming round to be honest. I'm not very tech-savvy but I have bought hundreds of tickets online over the years. My feeling is that *some* people tend not to get through because of basic mistakes: refreshing error pages rather than the original url; not back clicking if a page times out, maybe not having their info to hand etc. One of my friends got through after me today - we needed a 7th ticket - and only realised you needed a debit card when his credit card was declined!

I think they are typical of a lot of people who - left to their own devices - would blame See or their equipment before themselves if they lucked out. I know there are other reasons at play, and there's a lot of luck involved, but you can certainly increase your chances of being lucky by getting the basics right.