geeky techie chat about the ticket sale

Swine_Glasto2014

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good shout but not exactly how it works - the browser session is transient and created on first connection with the host and shared between tabs in the same process. This is why launching new tabs in the same browser share the same session and you appear to the host as that same session. If you launch a new browser from cold and navigate to the same URN then you will establish a new session for that process.

Cookies are just fairly crude, simple files used to persist selected variables between sessions such as when you close and re-open the browser process from cold, for example restoring the last user id used on a login page. A session id is unlikely to be stored in cookies as you wouldn't (usually) re-establish the exact same session context just by requesting the same resource and supplying the session id.

Checking IE11 here and I note that each tab spawns a separate process and PID, in this build of IE anyway. Chrome seems to do the same. It does this I think to protect itself from one tab crashing the whole browser and taking all the other tabs with it.

Checking IE11 here and I note that each tab spawns a separate process and PID, in this build of IE anyway. Chrome seems to do the same. It does this I think to protect itself from one tab crashing the whole browser and taking all the other tabs with it.

Yeah, if you look at Process Explorer you'll see the parent chrome.exe along with several processes hanging off it for each page and extension, indicating they were launched from that first chrome.exe.

However it's that parent process that holds the sessionality so each tab should get the same session passed to it, whether you used 'New Tab' or 'New Window' from the original Chrome instance. Launching a new Chrome.exe yourself (i.e from cold) should initiate a new session when you navigate to the same URN.

Companies design their corporate Internet gateways in many different ways. Some will use a proxy server for all http/s access, meaning all browsing is essentially performed by one machine with a single IP. That private IP is then NAT'ed through a firewall to either a single public IP (in most cases), or sometimes a pool of IP's in a public IP subnet (rarer), meaning that often different sessions are exposed on the public internet with a different source IP each time they are established. Beware that pretty much all companies filter browser traffic, so if you are using your firms network on Sunday, test the week before to ensure that the See tickets website is not blocked by policy. Also beware that all sessions will be logged by your firm.

Tbh its not a given that the See ticket system at the destination end will distinguish between and attribute any kind of bias for unique IP's requesting a session or not - sessions may well be awarded based simply on a FIFO basis. However, on the slight chance that the reputation filter at the front end does throttle attempted connections from the same IP, then it might be worth having different source IP's.

Our network (10,000+ devices) is on an internal 10.x.x.x network which is translated by the firewall into the company address for outbound traffic, which I *think* is one IP address. A mate has used his laptop from home via VPN and out of the company connections to get tickets previously. It may differ from your company computing rules, but it can be done. It will be logged, but hey, one chap I came across had corporate password management handling his login at work to "RussianCatFighting", so a ticketing site should be passed over.

Yeah, if you look at Process Explorer you'll see the parent chrome.exe along with several processes hanging off it for each page and extension, indicating they were launched from that first chrome.exe.

However it's that parent process that holds the sessionality so each tab should get the same session passed to it, whether you used 'New Tab' or 'New Window' from the original Chrome instance. Launching a new Chrome.exe yourself (i.e from cold) should initiate a new session when you navigate to the same URN.

Yes, there will be connections to the original session of the application. If Chrome hangs, ending the chrome.exe with the largest memory assigned to it will close all the related sessions.

I think as nobody really know for sure if multiple tabs/browsers etc make a difference, its best just to have a combination of as many different access points (wifi, 3g 4g on phones etc) and try different browsers on each, so Safari, firefox, chrome that way you have all the bases covered.

I believe it does. Things have moved on a lot since 2010, but in that sale, I had several tabs open and got a ticket page, only to have a repeated failure when I pressed the submit button.  Only by closing the excess tabs and clicking 'back' was I able to buy the tickets. I've always closed extra tabs before continuing with any ticket page since then.

I think multiple is OK, but don't quote me.

O0ps I just did ;)

I'm trying to make sense of this whole thread, it's doing my head in.

Does anyone believe by just leaving the one page/tab open and running once you get into the queue of the ordering page - where  you get a count down - this might actually be the best method.

Of course we all want to know the best method come ticket day - if some one convinced me you had a better chance of getting through standing on your head naked with a daffodil between your legs, I would do it.

It's like the bleeding holy grail, what is the best method??!!

If you get through, the sophisticated session manager they used last year should now in most cases preserve your session sufficiently long enough to allow time for the Reg number and postcode entry phases to be completed successfully. In the older days, you would often have the nightmare of getting in, entering your details, only to have the session time out or the connection dropped when you hit proceed...

If you get through, the sophisticated session manager they used last year should now in most cases preserve your session sufficiently long enough to allow time for the Reg number and postcode entry phases to be completed successfully. In the older days, you would often have the nightmare of getting in, entering your details, only to have the session time out or the connection dropped when you hit proceed...

sophisticated session manager ?? WTF!  :startle: 

There is no easy answer to this is there :) ?

Nope - there is little that anyone can do to improve their chances these days tbh other than follow the few straight forward browser guidelines here really.

Yeh, that's what I am thinking now. It makes for great chat, this thread is testament to that, but my fear is that in trying multiple browser windows, the use of F5 etc may actually lesson your chance of getting that ordering page open.

I think the main overriding issue for me is not the technical side but how quickly tickets sold last time. Any other year when you had say an hour a least I'd be very confident of getting a ticket with the amount of people trying and the set up in place etc. But if it sells any quicker than 25 minutes or whatever it was all the technical know how, multiple tabs vs one tab etc doesn't really matter a jot.