Wolf Alice

Pilgrim S

2 hours ago, Suprefan said:

You know the age thing is going to eventually change again. The 40-50 year old crowd now is going to be removed in the next generation and youll have people who grew up with whats coming up right now thats likely more  open to even more varied music than the apparent “glastonbury crowd”. Thats how there is progress at the festival other than Emily forcing it and you lot having to accept it or go somewhere else. I also think there would be more inclusion of other popular acts and their audience if it didnt sell out in Sept every year. If they put the poster up and let everyone decide what they thought with their wallets at that moment rather than roll the dice and pray certain acts popped up, it prob has a much different audience. We’ve all seen the commenters year in and year out when the poster drops saying its total shite and that music is dead. Yet people still always have the time of their lives and you know are secretly envious of those who go despite that. So, whats the next step that has to be made? 

The thing is people aged 21 now and heavy into pop music now won’t be going to glastonbury when they’re 50. And whatever pop acts are today’s latest fad won’t still be touring in 30 years.

Thats the great thing about pop music, it has a strong novelty bias, its very of its moment. Because by and large it isn’t very good. Its just trendy 😄

• Upvote 1

The “Other” stage is, by definition, there to offer an alternative to whatever is on the Pyramid. As someone pointed out you’ve mainly tended to see bands headlining the Pyramid in recent years so there little point in putting similar acts against each other. Bands tend to rise up through the Pyramid rather than via the Other.

When they go for a guitar act for the Other, the smaller capacity and presumably smaller fees mean that they’re never going to get the big names (people thinking the Strokes are one day going to turn up are deluding themselves). Best bet is to go for the acts who are still viewed as being on the up and taking their first steps into headlining festivals. There’s a decent crossover between headlining the Other and headlining Latitude for instance.

40 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

The thing is people aged 21 now and heavy into pop music now won’t be going to glastonbury when they’re 50. And whatever pop acts are today’s latest fad won’t still be touring in 30 years.

Thats the great thing about pop music, it has a strong novelty bias, its very of its moment. Because by and large it isn’t very good. Its just trendy 😄

Yeah popstars of 30 years ago are definitely not still around. Festivals don’t book 90s acts at all.

9 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Yeah popstars of 30 years ago are definitely not still around. Festivals don’t book 90s acts at all.

The biggest acts from that era - Take That, Spice Girls, Robbie Williams, Westlife - have never been booked and almost certainly never will be.

When it comes to pop and Glastonbury the key word, as has been discussed recently, is credibility. The acts named above sold by the bucket load but never had the cred to be able to headline. That credibility has historically been conferred on acts by the music press, who mostly were men who grew up listening to guitar acts. Pop was always considered a lower form of art and as such acts were never taken seriously.

Things have changed in recent years, the likes of Adele and Taylor are both massive sellers and critical darlings. Which makes them impossible to ignore, but without that credibility bestowed upon them by the press pop acts will always struggle. Dua will get it for sure, but I’m not convinced the likes of Arianna Grande will.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

The biggest acts from that era - Take That, Spice Girls, Robbie Williams, Westlife - have never been booked and almost certainly never will be.

When it comes to pop and Glastonbury the key word, as has been discussed recently, is credibility. The acts named above sold by the bucket load but never had the cred to be able to headline. That credibility has historically been conferred on acts by the music press, who mostly were men who grew up listening to guitar acts. Pop was always considered a lower form of art and as such acts were never taken seriously.

Things have changed in recent years, the likes of Adele and Taylor are both massive sellers and critical darlings. Which makes them impossible to ignore, but without that credibility bestowed upon them by the press pop acts will always struggle. Dua will get it for sure, but I’m not convinced the likes of Arianna Grande will.

Robbie played.

Also Janet Jackson, TLC, Robyn, Lauryn Hill, Natasha Beddingfield, Kylie Minogue and even bloody Busted have all been booked. It’s a bit reductive to think that all pop has a shelf life. We talk every year about Madonna maybe making an appearance and legend slots for Mariah Carey, Britney Spears, Cher, etc (all big stars in the 90s) have been floated (even if some aren’t likely). Spice Girls, like it or not, have expressed an interest in playing.

Edited by Matt42

Just now, Matt42 said:

Robbie played.

Also Janet Jackson, TLC, Robyn, Lauryn Hill, Natasha Beddingfield, Kylie Minogue and even bloody Busted have all been booked. It’s a bit reductive to think that all pop has a shelf life. We talk every year about Madonna maybe making an appearance and legend slots for Mariah Carey, Britney Spears, Cher, etc (all big stars in the 90s) have been floated (even if some aren’t likely).

Played low down early on, never headlined. I’m talking about getting a major slot at the festival - none of the acts you have mentioned have played what anyone would consider to be a significant slot.* Pop will always have a place on the lineup, but pop acts seem to have to work harder to gain the veneer of credibility than bands do.

*The exception is Kylie, and I think over time the “Legends Slot” will slowly be repurposed as more of a big cheesy pop party slot. There’s no denying that the better sets down the years have been from the acts who have leaned heavily into the poppier side (Dolly, Lionel, Kylie) than the more po-faced “serious musicians” like ELO and Paul Simon. The expectation for that slot now is that it is a party and I reckon that will eventually become the natural home for the likes of Robbie and the Spice Girls.

I'm still obsessed with the last man on earth. It'll be my most listened this year even if I didn't listen to it again for the next 6 months, though there's no signs of it slowing down 

Really liking how can I make it ok too- haven't had proper chance to sit down and listen to the album but I will soon.

Wish there was a chance to see them live sooner than next year, tentative January tour but realistically probably this time next year 

1 hour ago, efcfanwirral said:

I'm still obsessed with the last man on earth. It'll be my most listened this year even if I didn't listen to it again for the next 6 months, though there's no signs of it slowing down 

Really liking how can I make it ok too- haven't had proper chance to sit down and listen to the album but I will soon.

Wish there was a chance to see them live sooner than next year, tentative January tour but realistically probably this time next year 

I’m fully expecting them to do a run of shows this summer. They’re not shy of playing secret gigs (I’ve seen them a couple of times in tiny pubs billed as a fake but very easy to guess band). So when things open up this month/next month/August I would expect to see similar, particularly in London 

2 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Smooth Jimmy Apollo (and I) agree...

CuVxfY_VMAAj1mw.jpg

In.... answering... the.... question... of... whether.... Wolf... Alice.... will win... eeeeee.............. festivals'..... Album..... of..... the.... Month..... there.... are.............. many.... factors..... to...... consider........ Did..... @dentalplan......... like..... it?........... DId.......... it........... manage....... to.....win over........ indie..... sceptics...... like........ @CaledonianGonzo?........ Has...... it....... con.......neck......ted...... with....... the...... younger........ pop..... fans......... like..... @Matt42?

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

Love that song, they did it on Jools Holland a couple of months ago and it was fantastic.

Looking forward to getting the album in a couple of weeks time for Father Day, will just wait until then to listen to it all but glad it's getting good reviews.  In the meantime I'm back listening to Visions of a Life.

13 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

There you go, Sir 

Screenshot_20210607-105022.png

19 minutes ago, Padgey said:

Love that song, they did it on Jools Holland a couple of months ago and it was fantastic.

Looking forward to getting the album in a couple of weeks time for Father Day, will just wait until then to listen to it all but glad it's getting good reviews.  In the meantime I'm back listening to Visions of a Life.

The jools performance was the first time I saw it and probably listened on Spotify every day since. 

4 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

There you go, Sir 

Screenshot_20210607-105022.png

Wow that's as big a journey as Latitude itself is!! Thanks though. Hopefully there'll be another one further north ahead of Reading and Leeds (London or above would be fine) 

Edited by efcfanwirral

1 hour ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

On course for their first number one album apparently. 

Interestingly, Blue Weekend has already sold considerably more than Visions of a Life did in its first week.

Not sure about My Love is Cool but that got beaten to number one by Florence returning to the top off the back of her Glasto slot so I'd be inclined to think that didn't sell as well as this one either.

Edited by dentalplan

1 hour ago, thewayiam said:

It's much more mellow than I thought it would be. Not sure there is anything as impressive as Bros or Giant Peach but I'd still see them. But for me they have Other stage sub written all over them, just something doesn't fit with Pyramid 3rd down

I think if there was any question over whether WA are an Other headliner/Pyramid sub level act, this records critical and commercial success has sealed the deal.

29 minutes ago, jparx said:

I think if there was any question over whether WA are an Other headliner/Pyramid sub level act, this records critical and commercial success has sealed the deal.

What commercial success? A number 1 album in the modern day where people pay the cost of one subscription and get access to it all whenever they want? It's sold 25k, we are not talking Pyramid subs here. They also still have London Apollo tickets left and quite a few others for their tour. Reading has sold out so that's not holding them back. They've done Ally Pally which is cool but they aren't an arena band yet. I don't even dislike them, I'd happily watch them but let's see what they can really sell. It's telling that even on a two big main stage lineup for Reading, they still got put 3rd down at a then sold out festival. The band playing Latitude that were chosen to play 3rd down rather than sub which some have.

49 minutes ago, jparx said:

We won't find out where acts slot in until March. You can't close the book on these debates yet.

10 hours ago, dentalplan said:

We won't find out where acts slot in until March. You can't close the book on these debates yet.

And you never know whether they’ve already agreed to a placing prior to this albums release. Has definitely happened before.