Wolf Alice

Pilgrim S

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

How long until tik tok views get counted as streams for the official charts?

Sounds crazy but I remember a time where people were very confused when YouTube views started to count as streams.

Unless I’m mistaken, songs used on TikTok are just background for something else for a very short amount of time. Not comparable to searching for a song on YouTube and watching/listening to the video.

40 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I'm not expecting it because the festival just doesn't have acts like Wolf Alice headline the Other Stage anymore. Not impossible but just seems like Other Stage headline isn't quite for them. Like when people shout Nick Cave or The National for it too.

Alt-J, Tame Impala, Jake Bugg, QOTSA, Primal Scream have all done it in the last decade.

48 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I'm not expecting it because the festival just doesn't have acts like Wolf Alice headline the Other Stage anymore. Not impossible but just seems like Other Stage headline isn't quite for them. Like when people shout Nick Cave or The National for it too.

Wolf Alice are a bit different to those two though aren’t they? I agree they tend not to book older rock acts as Other headliners anymore but Wolf Alice appeal to a much younger crowd than those too, as well as some 6music dads, so I don’t see it as being too different to alt-J as others have mentioned. 

Just now, kingcrawler said:

Wolf Alice are a bit different to those two though aren’t they? I agree they tend not to book older rock acts as Other headliners anymore but Wolf Alice appeal to a much younger crowd than those too, as well as some 6music dads, so I don’t see it as being too different to alt-J as others have mentioned. 

Well if I argued against Nick Cave or The National people would probably point out Tame Impala and Alt-J to me too so probably not that different.

I guess we'll see. There are a lot of straight-up rock bands around that could've headlined the Other since Bugg and didn't. Last year we were expecting one up against Kendrick Lamar and instead it was Fatboy Slim. This is why I'm expecting them to be Other sub or Pyramid sub/third - doesn't mean I'm right.

I'm surprised that folk here have been saying that Visions of a Life lost them some momentum. Surely the critical acclaim from that one kept them in the game? Winning the Mercury was a huge feat to separate them from any early-career British indie rock band. Would be a bad omen if strong reviews weren't enough to maintain hype, because it's pretty much the same deal this time around as well.

43 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Alt-J, Tame Impala, Jake Bugg, QOTSA, Primal Scream have all done it in the last decade.

Wow totally forgot about Alt-J doing it. Yeah, clearly no qualms about having indie bands top that stage even if it tends to skew dancier. But I guess that’s largely because the Pyramid has the guitar acts on and the Other is there for an alternative. Wolf Alice against Kendrick or Taylor would make loads of sense.

12 minutes ago, circus92 said:

Not against Taylor please!  That would be the worst sort of clash imaginable for me 

To be honest I’ve accepted I probably won’t be seeing any Other headliners next year given who is likely to end up on the Pyramid! I’d selfishly rather WA end up subbing the Pyramid but they feel destined for the Other, and it’s the better slot for them I think

Edited by jparx

You know the age thing is going to eventually change again. The 40-50 year old crowd now is going to be removed in the next generation and youll have people who grew up with whats coming up right now thats likely more  open to even more varied music than the apparent “glastonbury crowd”. Thats how there is progress at the festival other than Emily forcing it and you lot having to accept it or go somewhere else. I also think there would be more inclusion of other popular acts and their audience if it didnt sell out in Sept every year. If they put the poster up and let everyone decide what they thought with their wallets at that moment rather than roll the dice and pray certain acts popped up, it prob has a much different audience. We’ve all seen the commenters year in and year out when the poster drops saying its total shite and that music is dead. Yet people still always have the time of their lives and you know are secretly envious of those who go despite that. So, whats the next step that has to be made? 

9 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

You know the age thing is going to eventually change again. The 40-50 year old crowd now is going to be removed in the next generation and youll have people who grew up with whats coming up right now thats likely more  open to even more varied music than the apparent “glastonbury crowd”. Thats how there is progress at the festival other than Emily forcing it and you lot having to accept it or go somewhere else. I also think there would be more inclusion of other popular acts and their audience if it didnt sell out in Sept every year. If they put the poster up and let everyone decide what they thought with their wallets at that moment rather than roll the dice and pray certain acts popped up, it prob has a much different audience. We’ve all seen the commenters year in and year out when the poster drops saying its total shite and that music is dead. Yet people still always have the time of their lives and you know are secretly envious of those who go despite that. So, whats the next step that has to be made? 

Because the “music is dead” Facebook comment section sort are stuck in 2007. Whenever you ask them what they prefer they usually come back with mid-00s bands as options or Oasis. They aren’t worth worrying about. Highly doubt they have tickets or attend anyway.

Edited by Matt42

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Because the “music is dead” Facebook comment section sort are stuck in 2007. Whenever you ask them what they prefer they usually come back with mid-00s bands as options or Oasis. They aren’t worth worrying about. Highly doubt they have tickets or attend anyway.

Always intrigues me how dismissive you are of groups of people who don’t think the same way as you.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Always intrigues me how dismissive you are of groups of people who don’t think the same way as you.

Why is it only me you call out instead of others? That’s what I’m intrigued about. You ignored @Suprefan’s essay above being way more dismissive than I was.

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

Well if I argued against Nick Cave or The National people would probably point out Tame Impala and Alt-J to me too so probably not that different.

I guess we'll see. There are a lot of straight-up rock bands around that could've headlined the Other since Bugg and didn't. Last year we were expecting one up against Kendrick Lamar and instead it was Fatboy Slim. This is why I'm expecting them to be Other sub or Pyramid sub/third - doesn't mean I'm right.

Yeah that’s fair, to be honest I think it’s a good point and they definitely do seem to put critically acclaimed rock bands of that sort of size as Pyramid subs.

The Kendrick/Fatboy Slim thing is interesting too. Other than Tame Impala, who aren’t even really a full on rock band these days in the way Wolf Alice or The National are, they tend to book dance acts to play against hip-hop headliners. I don’t think it’s a set rule but it does show they don’t always go for big rock acts against headliners like that, despite that probably being the most common prediction on here. 

9 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Why is it only me you call out instead of others? That’s what I’m intrigued about. You ignored @Suprefan’s essay above being way more dismissive than I was.

Because you have form for comments like “Glastonbury should only be for young people” (you actually said that a year or so ago) and are regularly dismissive of anyone over the age of 40 who may want to see a guitar act. Super fan didn’t use the phrase “they aren’t worth worrying about”.

Not everybody wants an endless parade of young female pop stars.

Edited by Hugh Jass

Just now, Hugh Jass said:

Because you have form for comments like “Glastonbury should only be for young people” (you actually said that a year or so ago) and are regularly dismissive of anyone over the age of 40 who may want to see a guitar act.

Not everybody wants an endless parade of young female pop stars.

But that’s not what I was on about so no idea where you got that from.

I’m the dismissive one for critiquing people who serially comment “lineup is shit” on social media posts whenever one drops, because I’m pretty sure they aren’t attending the festival anyway? I’m the close minded one? 

Sometimes I think you just want a fight on here so you exclusively pick at things I say. Your comment at the end was unnecessary. 

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

But that’s not what I was on about so no idea where you got that from.

I’m the dismissive one for critiquing people who serially comment “lineup is shit” on social media posts whenever one drops, because I’m pretty sure they aren’t attending the festival anyway? I’m the close minded one? 

Sometimes I think you just want a fight on here so you exclusively pick at things I say. Your comment at the end was unnecessary. 

Did you not say that the views of a group of people “didn’t matter”?

Yeah I slag off artists and lineups on here all the time, but I also accept people’s right to enjoy whatever they want. Always get the vibe from you that anyone who isn’t interested in the latest hype act or just wants to see a big guitar act is some sort of pop culture dinosaur. “Oh you haven’t of Hamilton?” was one the other day.

Believe it or not I am actually rather fond of you and find you endearing.

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

Did you not say that the views of a group of people “didn’t matter”?

Yeah I slag off artists and lineups on here all the time, but I also accept people’s right to enjoy whatever they want. Always get the vibe from you that anyone who isn’t interested in the latest hype act or just wants to see a big guitar act is some sort of pop culture dinosaur. “Oh you haven’t of Hamilton?” was one the other day.

Believe it or not I am actually rather fond of you and find you endearing.

But I don’t know what’s annoyed you because I thought we’d agree that the views of people who don’t attend the fest but love slagging if off surely don’t matter 😂

I don’t know where to get the hatred of guitar acts from. My gig history and festival headline attendance track record would quickly dismiss that.

I guess you do have a slight point though, and I will admit, that I am not the biggest fan of the ‘glasto chat’ view of the festival. In that many would be happy to see Glasto go in the direction of IOW. I can admit that I’m a bit harsh on that, but it’s not a hatred of guitar acts at all. 

21 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

But I don’t know what’s annoyed you because I thought we’d agree that the views of people who don’t attend the fest but love slagging if off surely don’t matter 😂

I don’t know where to get the hatred of guitar acts from. My gig history and festival headline attendance track record would quickly dismiss that.

I guess you do have a slight point though, and I will admit, that I am not the biggest fan of the ‘glasto chat’ view of the festival. In that many would be happy to see Glasto go in the direction of IOW. I can admit that I’m a bit harsh on that, but it’s not a hatred of guitar acts at all. 

BD135DF1-4C2D-4D22-8F27-B239F05295C0.jpeg

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, kingcrawler said:

Yeah that’s fair, to be honest I think it’s a good point and they definitely do seem to put critically acclaimed rock bands of that sort of size as Pyramid subs.

The Kendrick/Fatboy Slim thing is interesting too. Other than Tame Impala, who aren’t even really a full on rock band these days in the way Wolf Alice or The National are, they tend to book dance acts to play against hip-hop headliners. I don’t think it’s a set rule but it does show they don’t always go for big rock acts against headliners like that, despite that probably being the most common prediction on here. 

Yeah I don't think it's a set rule or anything, and it's a trend that will be broken eventually. It's just why I'm leaning to it not being the case.

It's arguably a smarter career move to avoid it, anyway.

There seems to be a bit of a hoodoo around headlining the Other. Up-and-coming acts make the leap and are then frozen out of future lineups because anything else will be a step down (Rudimental, alt-J, potentially Disclosure?), and other acts are kinda settled into it being a once every 8 years gig (Massive Attack, New Order, hopefully Tame Impala?, 4 years for Chem Bros natch). Pretty much the peak for every band who has played it for as long as I can remember. 

Say Wolf Alice subs the Other Stage next year then the following album they might be able to sub the Pyramid, and then the one after they might headline the big one, or the Other, or the John Peel, depending on what happens to 'em.

edit: thinking on, The 1975 flat-out rejected an Other headline slot to play 3rd down Other, didn't they? They had the right idea, even if they don't get to nail the execution.

Edited by dentalplan

7 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Yeah I don't think it's a set rule or anything, and it's a trend that will be broken eventually. It's just why I'm leaning to it not being the case.

It's arguably a smarter career move to avoid it, anyway.

There seems to be a bit of a hoodoo around headlining the Other. Up-and-coming acts make the leap and are then frozen out of future lineups because anything else will be a step down (Rudimental, alt-J, potentially Disclosure?), and other acts are kinda settled into it being a once every 8 years gig (Massive Attack, New Order, hopefully Tame Impala?, 4 years for Chem Bros natch). Pretty much the peak for every band who has played it for as long as I can remember. 

Say Wolf Alice subs the Other Stage next year then the following album they might be able to sub the Pyramid, and then the one after they might headline the big one, or the Other, or the John Peel, depending on what happens to 'em.

edit: thinking on, The 1975 flat-out rejected an Other headline slot to play 3rd down Other, didn't they? They had the right idea, even if they don't get to nail the execution.

I do think though that not every artist is out to become a headliner. The 1975 clearly were so that example is interesting, but I think Tame, Alt J etc knew that it was as far as they would go.

Then again I do think the role of the other stage headline is changing. Dua was booked for it this year and I would put money on the festival seeing her as a future headliner. Might not be the kiss of death it once was. I would prefer it if the other was seen as a way of giving an act the space to do their full she-bang when they can’t have them on the pyramid / headlining just yet.