Im with everyone else, chic are good but not headliners in my opinion it suits the theme down to a T but really, what are we paying £200 for???? They better bring a really strong acts out soon because seriously how cheap is the line up so far, foals and chic must be stupidly cheap compared to snoop and elton john. The 80 blunts snoop requests would cost the same amount for them ;)

I dont have a clue what they have been playing at the last couple of years seem to have stooped quite a bit, Rob needs to pull something out of the bag now because ticket sales will be slowing right down

To be honest, I think it's pretty strong still. Beck is a coup, Foals should be good when they've got a crowd who want to see them and Outkast aren't my thing but they're obviously in some demand. I agree that the Desert Island Disco, and all headliners which are passed off as events, should probably be on the Thursday where they'd be in the Big Top and not part of the main proceedings.

The undercard seems a bit pants this time around with the Radio One acts that'll be doing the rounds but that's certain to get stronger with Bestival being a festival with a bit more depth than the other major fests.

Does anyone think maybe they will tell chic that they shouldn't headline this year and get someone else? Rob da bank and Bestival tweeted that thursday they are announcing the djs! They done that clearly through panic, maybe it will cause them to just re consider or rearange the lineup

• Downvote 1

i remember in 2012 when Sigur Ros and The xx (along with a few others) were announced and i thought 'those are some good headliners', only to find out they were the subs and the headliners were yet to be announced. for me 2012 was a pretty perfect lineup for my particular tastes (but also just generally quality wise). this and last year don't seem to have been able to match the initial strong reaction of that year (and 2011 for that matter). even Pendulum / Florence & The Machine, who i didn't go see / wasn't a fan of, were undeniably huge at the time so were great headliners

just holding out for a really strong undercard now

Does anyone think maybe they will tell chic that they shouldn't headline this year and get someone else? Rob da bank and Bestival tweeted that thursday they are announcing the djs! They done that clearly through panic, maybe it will cause them to just re consider or rearange the lineup

no that would never happen. Chic will've signed on to headline and so headline they will do (you can't exactly tell an act 'people are pissed off that you're headlining so we're moving you down the bill')

they were already planning on announcing some more of the lineup throughout the week before Chic was announced (maybe predicted the bad reaction to Chic. who knows)

One thing the promoters seem to emphasise more recently is the 'party' aspect of Bestival, and book acts with a feelgood vibe to them. However this boxes them into a corner as they'll be attracting a crowd that's less tolerant of 'depressing' music, and limiting some great acts that could play.

I guess if the headliners have been "cheaper" this year and last, it might be because the acts required to make the Port great means that their money has to go further. The Port is pretty much on a par with the Big Top, so there are now three major stages to fill out, instead of two.

I thought Chic being announced was a fair enough headliner for Bestival. Maybe cheap but the money would be going on a strong under card of the most in demand DJs.

But now realising they subbed only last year I can only imagine someone Rob was after saying no last minute or a problem with a band occurring for them to get Chic back. RDB will know of people's reactions to this through his forums.

Does anyone know where can you see the 2012 'official' Orbital Big Top performance on vid?

It was a brilliant live recording, I loved watching/listening to it, especially Where is it Going and Beelzedub but they took it off Youtube a few months ago. it brought back some great memories of Bestival and I would love to be able to watch it again

Cheers

So we've got last year's Latitude headliner, last year's Moseley Jazz headliner, and an undercard taken from the more 'credible' parts of the Radio 1 playlist.

:lol:

Or he could have just took the risk & bumped Major Lazer up to headliners.

I think when they replied to someone complaining about Chic on facebook they said Major Lazer were playing last actually!

I'm not to impressed but I am not pissed off about it, it could turnout to be something special with a decent budget for guests etc. (I could see Pharrell being added else where and coming on with Nile/Chic).

I reckon it might be a case of Festival Republic seeing Bestival as a real threat after The Cure year and putting clauses into acts contracts to stop them playing. Vince Power was complaining about similar with Hop Farm about the "major" festivals wasn't he? Maybe Rob see's this direction as a way around that?

Edited by LondonTom

I think when they replied to someone complaining about Chic on facebook they said Major Lazer were playing last actually!

I think you probably misread a response to a thing about Disclosure ("They are playing second to top on the main stage") as being about Chic. But if it's not that then can you find the quote?

I think you probably misread a response to a thing about Disclosure ("They are playing second to top on the main stage") as being about Chic. But if it's not that then can you find the quote?

Will do when I get home, but may have been that! ...I am sure it was something like "They are not playing last anyway" to someone who said they only subbed last year.

It was late last night, so I maybe i did misread would be cool if true though./

Edited by LondonTom

Will do when I get home, but may have been that! ...I am sure it was something like "They are not playing last anyway" to someone who said they only subbed last year.

It was late last night, so I maybe i did misread would be cool if true though./

I think this is probably what you saw. It is easily misunderstood:

Jonathan Pollock Very disappointed Bestival, they were lower down the bill last year!!!
  • 1209868_62001275134_1046796056_q.jpg
    Bestival So were Disclosure but no-one complained when we announced them again this year? Nile and Chic are much much bigger now then they were a year ago...
  • 1086435_1149541957_1843577186_q.jpg
    Jonathan Pollock yes but disclosure aren't headlining, so obviously more people are going to complain about Chic ft. Nile Rodgers because he is!
  • 1209868_62001275134_1046796056_q.jpg
    Bestival They are playing second to top on the main stage though. Either way it's going to be an amazing set and finale....trust us, you'll love it. Or if not, you can check out one of the many other things going on at the same time all over the site.

I seem to have got the administrators back up on the official Bestival forum. He insisted that Chic were always RDB's first choice for the Sunday headliner, I said that was bull shit & pointed out the reasons why I thought as much... Now he's demanded an apology.

Oh dear :P

Edited by Frankly Mr Shankly

I seem to have got the administrators back up on the official Bestival forum. He insisted that Chic were always RDB's first choice for the Sunday headliner, I said that was bull shit & pointed out the reasons why I thought as much... Now he's demanded an apology.

Oh dear :P

Can't imagine ever seeing someone being called a liar and then demanding an apology...