i feel sorry for Matt the Bestival forum mod. he's trying so hard to defend Chic but fighting a losing battle - there's no way about it that it's a poor and strange booking and seems to have pissed a lot of (regular) attendees off

all this said though, i'm sure i'll end up going to see Chic and have a fantastic time. i like them. it's just a shame their headline performance has come at a time when they've been fucking everywhere and people are tiring of them. should've just headlined last year

I think this is probably what you saw. It is easily misunderstood:

Jonathan Pollock Very disappointed Bestival, they were lower down the bill last year!!!
  • 1209868_62001275134_1046796056_q.jpg
    Bestival So were Disclosure but no-one complained when we announced them again this year? Nile and Chic are much much bigger now then they were a year ago...
  • 1086435_1149541957_1843577186_q.jpg
    Jonathan Pollock yes but disclosure aren't headlining, so obviously more people are going to complain about Chic ft. Nile Rodgers because he is!
  • 1209868_62001275134_1046796056_q.jpg
    Bestival They are playing second to top on the main stage though. Either way it's going to be an amazing set and finale....trust us, you'll love it. Or if not, you can check out one of the many other things going on at the same time all over the site.

Does this mean Disclosure are subbing?

I think it's brilliant. Disclosure into Outkast on the Friday, Busta Rhymes into Major Lazer on the Sunday. Nile who?

Disclosure into Outkast will be brilliant. probably the one thing (currently) on the lineup that's getting me excited

They're in no way big enough to sub though, that's my point.

• Downvote 1

They're in no way big enough to sub though, that's my point.

hmm i can see why you'd think that but they are pretty huge. at any other festival it'd definitely be brought into question but at Bestival i think they make a great sub. obviously not on par with say… Sigur Ros, but they're definitely as big (if not much bigger) than Two Door Cinema Club were that year when they subbed New Order

Edited by FloorFiller

Disclosure > Outkast will be fucking fantastic.

Plus Disclosure will be playing their first main stage gig at a time that will benefit being late enough to be dark...

Plus I reckon Aluna & Ed from Friendly Fires will be knocking about to join them!

Edited by Couchy

Sometimes at Bestival they put bigger acts on earlier in the day, leaving the sub-headline spot for a smaller act that will happen to be awesome at that time of evening. Like in 2011 the Friday went Public Enemy - Magnetic Man - Pendulum.

Wasn't it Chromeo before Magnetic Man? I remember being extremely not sober and running riot during them haha

Also, what happened to having DJ's on the main stage before acts during the changover? I seem to remember Zane Lowe, James Blake, Rob da Bank and more all playing in 2011 (and they were listed on the timetable as well), can't remember this happening in 2012 or 13.

Edited by Zacko

Wasn't it Chromeo before Magnetic Man? I remember being extremely not sober and running riot during them haha

Also, what happened to having DJ's on the main stage before acts during the changover? I seem to remember Zane Lowe, James Blake, Rob da Bank and more all playing in 2011 (and they were listed on the timetable as well), can't remember this happening in 2012 or 13.

Yep you're right... Public Enemy - Chromeo - Magnetic Man - Pendulum.

I miss the main stage DJs too.

Completely forgot about Brian Wilson, he was excellent. 2011 was a strong year looking back.

Was there/is there a reason main stage DJ's are a thing of the past? I remember Flux Pavilion on the main stage in 2012 (swapped with Soulwax?) but nothing since then really.

Zane Lowe & Mark Ronson did a 90-minute set on the main stage last year. But during the changeovers they more often have live hosts (Cuban Brothers, Lost & Found, Too Many T's etc) than DJs. That's how it's always been though. Beardyman used to do a lot of the hosting at one point.