what on earth happened with Bestival eh? 2011/12's headliners made it seem like it was gonna start competing with the major festivals, but last and this year have let it down. i'm not asking for Daft Punk, Prince or anything like that… but an act who subbed last year headlining this year is very poor (especially an act who will essentially be playing the same greatest hits set they've been peddling at every other festival for the past few years)

edit: not to say that Elton John, Snoop, Outkast and Foal aren't great / deserving headliners. but to have a headliner each year that is undeniably poorer than the others is pretty weak

Edited by FloorFiller
  • Upvote 2

what on earth happened with Bestival eh? 2011/12's headliners made it seem like it was gonna start competing with the major festivals, but last and this year have let it down

This.

So glad to have decided to call time on Bestival.

Surely the idea isn't to try and compete? I thought they were more like a Latitude type festival?

not compete as in try and go up against Reading, TITP, Glasto etc. just have headliners that those festivals would be envious of. i mean, Reading got The Cure the year after they headlined Bestival - i don't think that was a coincidence

if Chic hadn't played last year, the reception to them headlining this year would be much much better. but it just seems like a lazy (and quite frankly, with no new material / rise in popularity, bizarre) booking

So we've got last year's Latitude headliner, last year's Moseley Jazz headliner, and an undercard taken from the more 'credible' parts of the Radio 1 playlist. They'd argue that it's not just about the music, but they were pruning those stages down last year, and Boomtown offers similar for fifty quid less. No way am I spending my hard-earned on Bestival this year.

So we've got last year's Latitude headliner, last year's Moseley Jazz headliner, and an undercard taken from the more 'credible' parts of the Radio 1 playlist. They'd argue that it's not just about the music, but they were pruning those stages down last year, and Boomtown offers similar for fifty quid less. No way am I spending my hard-earned on Bestival this year.

I decided Boomtown over Bestival this year.

Beck or Busta Rhymes should have just been booked as standard headliners. Odd.

Or he could have just took the risk & bumped Major Lazer up to headliners.

Hopefully Beck won't be packed out Thursday night like MIA was or what a waste of a slot that will be.

Edited by Frankly Mr Shankly