• Replies 19.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Yellow_Fellow

• Gucci Piggy

• dentalplan

• justanothername

I saw Darlia support The Orwells at Vibe Bar in London and it was like watching a band of sixth-formers poorly playing Fratellis covers

For me the Reading line up is pretty dire; headliners, C&TBM and Peace aside I can envisage the NME tent being fairly empty across the weekend. Furthermore mid-main stage is the weakest it has ever been. Last October I could have seen Marmozets and Lonely the Brave play a pub down my road and get tickets on the door; they are filling slots that only a few years back were being held by acts like The Gaslight Anthem and Modest Mouse.

I'm also pretty alarmed by the lack of acts on the line up who are actually breaking; no one on the FR tent is particularly hyped up (perhaps Jack Garatt is an exception) and all of the artists who have stepped up from FR to NME this year appear to have done so out of necessity rather than out of a genuine boost in popularity.

Admittedly, The Pit is looking very good this year, however you could just go to ArcTanGent instead, save yourself £130, experience a better atmosphere and step on far less NOS cannisters over the weekend.

The top four on main and the NME headliners don't really do that much for me and considering that I can see the majority of the rest of the line up at any £80-for-a-weekend festival up and down the country, it really wouldn't be value for money for me to go.

Edited by rawaudioinput

Furthermore mid-main stage is the weakest it has ever been. Last October I could have seen Marmozets and Lonely the Brave play a pub down my road and get tickets on the door; they are filling slots that only a few years back were being held by acts like The Gaslight Anthem and Modest Mouse.

I think w/ this bit, they're gonna add more in between some of these acts. All the lowest acts are two or three spots too high and perhaps PATD and PTV could move down one or two also but I could see them letting those stay.

Yesterday I was joking, but now I'm genuinely convinced that the remaining sub is Melvin Benn (spoken word), and he'll use his allotted time to apologise for what he's done to the festival.

His encore will be a full nervous breakdown.

Seriously though, some of these bookings are downright hilarious.

I saw Darlia support The Orwells at Vibe Bar in London and it was like watching a band of sixth-formers poorly playing Fratellis covers

For me the Reading line up is pretty dire; headliners, C&TBM and Peace aside I can envisage the NME tent being fairly empty across the weekend. Furthermore mid-main stage is the weakest it has ever been. Last October I could have seen Marmozets and Lonely the Brave play a pub down my road and get tickets on the door; they are filling slots that only a few years back were being held by acts like The Gaslight Anthem and Modest Mouse.

I'm also pretty alarmed by the lack of acts on the line up who are actually breaking; no one on the FR tent is particularly hyped up (perhaps Jack Garatt is an exception) and all of the artists who have stepped up from FR to NME this year appear to have done so out of necessity rather than out of a genuine boost in popularity.

Admittedly, The Pit is looking very good this year, however you could just go to ArcTanGent instead, save yourself £130, experience a better atmosphere and step on far less NOS cannisters over the weekend.

The top four on main and the NME headliners don't really do that much for me and considering that I can see the majority of the rest of the line up at any £80-for-a-weekend festival up and down the country, it really wouldn't be value for money for me to go.

This is all exactly what we said last year though. At the moment some of the placings look odd, but bands are going to move down and bands like Wolf Alice will have had a massive boost in popularity once the fest rolls round with their debut out and decent televised slots at other fests etc.

It's subjective though isn't it? I actually really like the line up if it's to be judged on stuff I'd go and see

Yeah, it is subjective, and there's no doubting the fact that the festival has been straying away from my tastes for the past few years, so I wasn't entirely surprised that this line-up was a continuation of that.

My issue at the moment is more with placings, and smaller bands taking up big slots. I hope it is a case of more to come, but even so, there's no guarantee that the additions will be the kind of bands people are wanting ie Weezer, Gaslight Anthem etc, probably just more Radio 1 filler.

I'm throwing my toys out of the pram because I had high hopes for this year, and so far there's only about 10 bands I'd watch. And that includes Metallica, who I don't really want to watch again, but I'm trying to justify buying a ticket...

Sigh...

Yeah, it is subjective, and there's no doubting the fact that the festival has been straying away from my tastes for the past few years, so I wasn't entirely surprised that this line-up was a continuation of that.

My issue at the moment is more with placings, and smaller bands taking up big slots. I hope it is a case of more to come, but even so, there's no guarantee that the additions will be the kind of bands people are wanting ie Weezer, Gaslight Anthem etc, probably just more Radio 1 filler.

I'm throwing my toys out of the pram because I had high hopes for this year, and so far there's only about 10 bands I'd watch. And that includes Metallica, who I don't really want to watch again, but I'm trying to justify buying a ticket...

Sigh...

Fair comments, I'm reserving judgement on that till the line ups complete but understand that's far from easy. Last year I went thinking there were only about ten bands I'd see but kept busy all weekend. Fingers crossed further announcements inspire you more

Sigh...

I agree with this. No way are Pierce The Veil big enough for 4th, or Marmozets 5th, or whoever it is that are 6th down on the Mumfords and Libertines days. But mind you, I said the same about A Day To Remember, Imagine Dragons and Sleeping With Sirens last year.

Clutching at straws here, but the line-up announcement has come earlier than usual this year, so hopefully this means that there's more bands to come and they just haven't booked them yet. The Gaslight Anthem, for example, are in Europe in August, they haven't played Reading And Leeds for a few years now, and I would be very surprised if they were at V. I don't know why FR wouldn't think about booking them. Slot them in between Royal Blood and Pierce The Veil (seriously, who are they?) job's a good'un.

Yeah definitely some bump downs coming, I expect Neck Deep and LTB to open much like Havktivist who were announced as 6th to begin with last year then dropped to opener. Wish they still used special guests on the posters (other than the sub obviously) to indicate where there were still bands to go.

Yeah bumps downs are definately gonna happen. Lonely the Brave are on a similar level to Hacktivist and Marmozets not much bigger. I seem to remember slot ins having happened for a while. This year I see Neck Deep dropping down one or two (had a pretty big tour so wouldnt be surprised to be a bit higher than people expect. Pretty certain they sold out Y Plas (1000) in Cardiff). Pierce the Veil one. Marmozets one, two or three. Lonely the Brave two or three. All of them will prob be higher than people expected but won't be this high. Personally I want to see all four so I don't mind where they play just want to see them all. Personally I'd have LTB headline but that'd be a bit ridiculous.

Edited by SOAD