• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Yellow_Fellow

• Gucci Piggy

• dentalplan

• justanothername

If them lot are stale Muse and Slipknot definitely are as well

Maybe it's just cause Muse have been away a while and Slipknot don't appeal to a wider audience I say that. Slipknot are probably stale for your average Download goer yeah true, it wouldn't be a 'stale' booking if they were to headline R&L or TITP though if you get me. Still think Muse are a 'wow' act, but might just be because I haven't seen them but I have AM, KOL, Foos etc

Its a shame none of the rest of the album sounded like that really.

Haha true, I do think they're less stale than the likes of Foos, though, because they are actually doing different things (Panic Station, Unsustainable, Exogenesis symphony, etc.) rather than just releasing more albums of plodding rock songs, even if the results are shite.

Just gunna post in here quickly cus I wanna clear up something that I keep seeing on here when I made a brief comment in the chat a few weeks ago, It seems to have chinese whispered and blown into something that it was not.

It was in response to people moaning about Mumford and I was saying if you think thats bad wait for sub. But it was across the board, I as I did last year think the main stage and Radio 1 is a pile of crap. In 2013 last time I went I thought R1 was a pile of crap and Main stage saturday was too [Reading].

So yeah, line up = crap.

I can't understand main stage bookings at all, its like Friday has a completely different undercard to top 3, Metallica day is kinda ok, although I can't see many Metallica fans buying a ticket and wanting to see the undercard [older generation fans], BMTH have been put there because Live Nation want them to become headliners for Reading and Download and they are being fast tracked to the top much like Arctic Monkeys were put up there in a sub slot after only playing the small tent the year before [in 05] Royal Blood are also being pushed up there and Live Nation will hope to fuck they don't balls up the next album.

They did the same with The Darkness, but as Andy will tell you, The Darkness released their second album at xmas and it sold well but only got to number 11, because its all greatest hits being sold and they fucked up their rep.

Bullet are the other act they've been pinning their hopes on and they fucked up the last album, they were just about to be pushed to headliner at Download and the last album did bad and instead of the second arena tour selling better than the first arena tour, it did worse and now its rebuilding the band back up, they are gunna push next album big, next year Bullet will be getting a huge push to hopefully get them back up there, but you compare them with BMTH and BMTH have now surpassed Bullet, Bullet have never got such a high billing at Reading.

You guys are disappointed with BMTH but you have to give it them, they've worked hard to get there, they've not jumped up the bill they've earned their way up the bill, they deserve the sub slot, they deserve the praise, they've continued to grow, I hated them but I can see how much they've tried to improve, Olly just needs to work on himself as a frontman between songs, cus at DL last year on main they had such a big crowd but he seemed a bit lost, he had the big crowd at Reading 2013, I hope come this year, he's ready, they'll get the push to Download headliner and fair play, we need main stage headliners at our festivals from UK based acts. Biffy, Bullet, BMTH these can do it for many years to come, you may not like them but they've got to come through from somewhere and so many acts from indie sectors get big and fade away like Travis, Ash, Feeder, Idlewild etc they start to get big and then you see them down the bottom of bills, Manics another headliner in past then now wouldn't get close.

Rock acts tend to get big and stay there moreso, and we need to grow the new Sabbaths, AC/DC's etc cus they're gunna be gone, so yeah, Im completely behind BMTH getting the sub push and I hope they take the opportunity.

But in regards to the line up, im saddened that acts like Ash are hidden away on lower stages, these were the BMTH 15 years ago and they slipped up somehow and now look at where they are, when really they were so huge at one point and should be still up there, Id like more of our bands to not be a flash in the pan and continue to be successful, sometimes it seems these festivals and fans just want to push US acts, when I think its important our own acts establish themselves at the top of the bill and stay there.

[Not really a rant but just some thoughts] over.

This is a great post, and I agree that the line up is mostly utter shit, I mean mumfords headlining is utter shit, and I still don't understand why festivals are booking Libertines as headliners, especially after a decade of nothing new and with them subbing last time. I'm still going to go, as I've yet to see Metallica yet, and there's enough in the rest of the line up (though increasingly only because of the Pit/Lock-up) to make a day out of each day and see enough bands I want to see, the only problem I've seen them loads. There's no rarity bookings anymore, you know, that super special booking that gets everybody hyped, and even Glasto is starting to struggle now with this, with only really Dolly Parton last year.

The Metallica day is weakened massively because of Royal Blood being 3rd, not that that's a bad thing, but what should have happened is that RB should be on the Libertines day (instead of Jamie T), with Jamie T headlining the NME stage against Metallica with Rebel sounds doing Dance stage. That way you're still getting cross over (if not stronger cross over) between Libertines and RB, whilst also giving all the indie kids something to watch against 'Tallica. Then it frees up the 3rd down for a band with better cross over with the older audience for 'Tallica, like Machine Head/Slayer/Megadeath/Deaftones, and just that little change alone instantly makes the line up a lot stronger, granted the Mumfords day will always be shit on mainstage.

The Darkness fucked up so bad it's unbelievable, and I think Bullet are very very close to becoming a nostalgia band, and really really needs the next album to resonate with people in a big way, as I know many who simply aren't interested anymore after a perceived constant decline in the quality of their albums culminating in the fuck up that was their last.

I agree with the idea of LN trying to push acts hard to replace the acts that will soon begone, but I'd argue that Download are in a far worse position, due to that fact that should Bring Me headline next year it will be only the second time a band has headlined with band members younger than 30 (The first being Linkin Park in 04) and only a further 2 bands have headlined with members being in early early 30's (Avenged, Shadows, Vengence and Gates were 32 last year, and MCR where members were 30/31, I don't count Lostprophets as it was a bullshit booking and the only headlined due to another act dropping out), and they haven't had a year where there hasn't been a 'legacy' act headline, and the years that sold best had multiple legacy acts. So Download has even less bands available that are potentially going to be around for another 15 or so years, with only Slipknot that has headlined where it looks like they'll stay headliner size, as Linkin Park I feel will soon start slipping down, as they have played too much and loose relevance with each album, and Avenged need another really solid album and Arena tour to solidify their headliner status, considering last year was the worse selling Download since it started. However I do think next time they headline if they headlined alongside Metallica/Maiden/Sabbath then they would become a lot stronger of a headliner, as more people would be there and Avenged don't have to necessarily push a lot of tickets, as the one of those 3 will do most of the job for them.

I think part of the problem of flash in the pan type bands is that they end up with a lot of material for their first album due to how long it takes to get a label deal and first album finished, so all the really really good stuff gets put in, and then the second album ends up disappointing far to often, and then because of the desperate need to push bands up there ends up being a new hype band, so the older band ends up kinda forgotten, and doesn't get the push that they really really need.

I also think the fact that we have access to so many bands because of the internet, and with how the internet is, we end up with more flash in the pan type bands, and fewer bands get a concentration of fans as there is access to so much out there, so instead of having say maybe 50 bands a younger person gets introduced to, and then the focus is on those 50 bands, people end up listening to hundreds upon hundreds of bands, so the masses aren't concentrated into certain bands anymore (I have 400+ in my library, and most of my friends have at least 150+)

On the line up, I think Neck Deep, Marmozets and Lonely the Brave will all open the mainstage, which I'm really happy about, 3 British acts who released their first album last year, all offering slightly different forms of rock.

But then the choices would just be metallica/dance

True but at least it'd be safe which is the main thing. Blink day last year only catered for punk or dance fans at headliner time so they clearly can't be that bothered about having 'something for everyone'.

In any case we could yet end up with Azealia Banks headlining that night on 1Xtra, or maybe the unnancouned dance stage headliner being someone with a wider appeal, to balance it out.

Edited by Zac Quinn

Saw them tonight as well they were pretty good, wish they spoke to the crowd a bit more and tried to make the set a bit longer, think they will grow in popularity soon

Robert Smith (The Cure) only said the words "we aren't going to talk much, we just want to play as many songs as possible". He didn't speak again until 30 odd songs later, "thank you" and they were phenomenal. Haha. I think when bands are coming through, yes they have to show personality (like at Leedsfest the Darlia guy smashed his guitar on the amp) but I think it's more about the music, it's more right- we have 40 mins to impress everyone lets bash as many songs as possible into the set.

They must've been told they have to finish by a certain time because their set length varied from 8-9 songs on this tour. If they were allowed to play more, they would. I noticed a message got passed on stage as it gt to the point of their set where they either played "Say your Prayers" or skipped to "choke on bones", they ended up skipping to "Choke on bones" (which was brill)

A 40 min set for a band who don't have a proper album out yet is pretty good, especially when they only play their own material. Tbh, I was pleased with everything about tonight.

Edited by A_Hawky