Films

Rufus Gwertigan

I've only had the free trials and I don't think I watched a single thing during the Amazon one. Saying that, I didn't feel the need to continue netflix either. Once I'd watched the big hitters there didn't seem to be much else.

One way netflix was definitely better for me was I could watch it on my tv through chromecast. With amazon I was stuck with watching it on my laptop. That's probably why I didn't use it

One way netflix was definitely better for me was I could watch it on my tv through chromecast. With amazon I was stuck with watching it on my laptop. That's probably why I didn't use it

This.

I only started using Netflix at Christmas when I got a way to watch it straight thru tv without dealing with laptop.

My friend did that, he phoned up and complained and they gave him a full refund even though it was entirely his fault

Really? I was trying to get the 6 month free student thing and it made me enter my card details, which I assumed was so that it'd automatically charge you after those 6 months. Then I told my brother about a film I'd watched on instant video, and he was like "Eh you don't get instant video on the student thing", so I checked my account and yeah my money was gone.

Netflix is good at what it does, better than the alternatives in my experience.

Harking back to Under the skin. I just found it too starkly a work of art to be an entertaining viewing. The visuals are great, the soundtrack fits perfectly, but it's not a film I'd ever return to.

Netflix is good at what it does, better than the alternatives in my experience.

Anyone using Popcorn Time? Platform just like Netflix, many more of the latest films compared to Netflix and its free. Apparantly , due to 'forking' it can't be shut down. Netflix are said to be very worried.

Edited by Sawdusty Surfer

Anyone using Popcorn Time? Platform just like Netflix, many more of the latest films compared to Netflix and its free. Apparantly , due to 'forking' it can't be shut down. Netflix are said to be very worried.

Think you may as well just other methods as you still need to "protect" your IP address with that to avoid demand letters :P

• 2 weeks later...

Dredd - fucking brilliant.

you think? to me it seemed far too much like an American remake of The Raid, just replacing the lead character with Judge Dredd for some reason. i kind of enjoyed it, but the fact that it really didn't need to be a Dredd film never left my mind throughout. watched it when incredibly high though so may go back and rewatch it in a more sober mindframe

you think? to me it seemed far too much like an American remake of The Raid, just replacing the lead character with Judge Dredd for some reason. i kind of enjoyed it, but the fact that it really didn't need to be a Dredd film never left my mind throughout. watched it when incredibly high though so may go back and rewatch it in a more sober mindframe

I Just enjoyed it for what it was, yes there were a lot of similarities to "The Raid" but they came out 1 year apart, so its likely the dredd film was almost complete when the raid came out - coincidence is more likely.

Its obviously not winning oscars, but I enjoyed watching it with the curtains drawn and the volume up way too loud.

Yesterday, as I am home alone I watched 3 movies.

Edge Of Tomorrow - surprisingly good, I think Cruise had put me off watching it for so long.

The Equaliser - Loved that, very satisfying movie, not a massive amount in common with the TV show though.

Maps To The Stars - Very strange movie by cronenberg (no shit sherlock!) but very well made, very well acted, and probably a lot closer to the truth than many of us expect.

Have to agree on Dredd. I was genuinely hoping for sequels, but looks like I'll be disppointed. Karl Urban was excellent in the role as ol' stoneyface, utterly implacable.

I've not heard of Maps to the stars, has my curiosity piqued, will have to track that down.

you think? to me it seemed far too much like an American remake of The Raid,

The similarities are famous and many people think one was based - to the point of plagiarism - on the other. However, Dredd was in production long before The Raid was.

The Raid came out first as Dredd spent so long in post-production, being a CGI super-3D film.

Just got back from seeing Cinderella, really enjoyed it, much better than Disney's other recent attempts at doing live-action versions of the animated classics; Alice In Wonderland and Maleficent are both pretty shit. Cinderella doesn't concern itself with trying to be serious or add superflous shit to the story like the other two did, it's just a very expensive panto, loads to look at, actors chewing the scenery, big musical score, just really fun camp. The preceeding Frozen short film is more of the top-drawer CG animation, crap songs and characters you want to punch that the original film delivered.

In another princess-related cinema trip this week, I saw The Tale Of The Princess Kaguya, which is a different beast altogether. Spoilered it because I went on for ages and it got really long, tl;dr version - The Tale Of The Princess Kaguya is really really fucking good.

This hasn't been marketed as Isao Takahata's final film, but it probably is, the guy's nearly 80, Studio Ghibli is going on haitus, Hayao Miyazaki has also retired, I'd say this is the last feature film we'll see from him. This is a fantastic film, really great way for Studio Ghibli to bow out after 30+ years of creating the best animated films the world has ever seen. The themes here are all familiar for Studio Ghibli; focusing on nature and coming of age, this comes after Hayao Miyazaki put out a film that was slightly atypical of his usual style for his final release, so it feels quite apt for this last film from one of the studio's founders to do what they are known for. The animation is completely hand-drawn, using charcoal and watercolours, so it's not only breathtakingly beautiful, but also gives it a strong sense of its own identity, it's refreshing and interesting to look at all the way through, which is important in a foreign language film that's over 2 hours long. The animation style perfectly suits its 10th century rural Japanese setting, both the supernatural and natural elements of the film mesh together beautifully, it's one of the best looking films I've ever watched. Takahata doesn't shirk away from delivering one of his signature brutally sad endings, unlike his first Ghibli film Grave Of The Fireflies, which starts of sad and then just buries in you in more grief and the horror for the rest of the film, Princess Kaguya starts off in a place of innocence and joy, then slowly steers you to a profoundly depressing conclusion, cruelly dangling one last promise of a happy ending before reaching a heartbreaking end. I saw the Japense language version, subtitled in English, so I can't speak to how good the dub is, but I don't think dubbing this film over with American voices will work, and the cast doesn't fill me with confidence (the little girl famous for saying c**t in Kick-Ass is voicing Kaguya...). I enjoyed hearing the Japanese cast, I don't speak a word of Japanese, so I'm very limited as far as my enjoyment would go, but the acting is all there in the sounds, there's always something spooky but satisfying from picking up all the raw emotion from voices speaking a language completely unrelated to your own.

Inherent Vice was okay. Worth a watch but - unlike Big Lebowski - not a film I'm keen to rewatch.

American Sniper was better than expected.Was expecting it to be a really nasty gung-ho John Wayne level flick, which on some level it was, but it did show the trauma of non-Spec Forces troops, the gross injuries, the destruction. Filmed some of CK's worst statements too which was relatively brave.

I saw the later and only found out at the end that it was a true story, which was quite damn hard to take in. Awesome account of it. From the atmospheric fight scenes to the parade of the coffin through the roads back in the U.S. I thought that Bradley Cooper seemed to suit the part of Chris Kyle well.

I saw the later and only found out at the end that it was a true story, which was quite damn hard to take in. Awesome account of it. From the atmospheric fight scenes to the parade of the coffin through the roads back in the U.S. I thought that Bradley Cooper seemed to suit the part of Chris Kyle well.

its not really a true story, its based on the book he wrote, and he has since been proven to be a massive liar, to the point his wife has been sued succesfully by Jesse Ventura. plus

he never did kill his "nemesis" - the opposing sniper, that bit was made up for the film.

lesson - never trust hollywood with the facts

the film / story might have been better if the "based on a true story" claim had never been made, and the characters name had been changed.

i went from quite liking it after initially watching it, to really disliking it after a little bit of research.