Films

Rufus Gwertigan

See Judy Dench in Shakespeare in Love....and she won it!

At least she made an impact in the 5/10 mins she was in it, Emma Stone was just hanging about on set although that is what the script called for.

Safest selection I can remember for the nominations. No left field choices whatsoever.

You mean like Transformers 4!

Edited by jump

Best Actress

Jennifer Aniston, “Cake”

Felicity Jones, “The Theory of Everything”

Julianne Moore, “Still Alice”

Rosamund Pike, “Gone Girl”

Reese Witherspoon, “Wild”

Marion Cotillard is nominated! Which I think makes her tied for the most foreign language film nominations for that award. Didn't think that much of the film (it was decent), but I really hope she wins. Watching Wild at the cinema tomorrow, though.

I guess I should start watching some of the other nominated films by illegal means. Only best picture films I've seen are Boyhood and Grand Budapest Hotel. Didn't like either.

Edit: It's Jennifer Aniston who isn't nominated.

Edited by bocumaroy

Thought Gibson was the only half decent thing about that terrible Expendables movie.

Keaton is going win isn't he?

Yeah looks likely for Keaton, it probably wont even be a win for his acting but rather for taking on a role that reflects his own career which they seem to eat up at these awards.

Edited by jump

I haven't seeen Theory Of Everything yet but of the films I've seen, give the best actor to Cumberbatch. He's outstanding in The Imitation game. Keaton was great too so not that bothered.

No nominations for Interstellar and The Lego Movie hasn't been nominated for best animated feature.

None for Pride either.

The Animated category is mooning me, noms for Big Hero 6, The Boxtrolls, The Tale Of Princess Kaguya, been ridiculously excited for these films for 4, 3 and 2 years respectively, not been able to see any of them yet (only 15 days wait for BH6 though!). No nomination for The Lego Movie, why? There's no excuse, the only film out of that category I saw was How To Train Your Dragon 2, while it was great, it was nowhere near the level of Lego. I do want to see Song Of The Sea at some point, it's most likely I'll have have to wait for the DVD.

It was only notable because such a famous actor was playing such a stupid cartoonish role in a small movie. Can see he was only really dropped in to lead in the next two movies, which I probably will watch despite how unsettling a watch Tusk was.

I would agree it's better than it's sequel. I found Winter Soldier quite unremarkable and I'm not sure I understand the love-in here.

Not sure how Depp became involved in all honesty,I have a feeling it's possibly because his daughter and Smith's are friends but that could be me talking bollocks.

While I can see where your feelings come from over his role however I loved it.It was so unusual as I was watching I couldn't decide which way I would go but ended up just loving the absurdity of it.

In my eyes Depp & Daniel Day Lewis are the greatest character actors I've seen in my lifetime.They can truely give unique individual performances when required in every film.

Watched Birdman. Quite good. Very clever, but now it's finished it's immediately gone and hasn't really left any lasting impression. Keaton was good, but I'd hope that when I've seen the other nominated best actor performances they'll be someone that stands out as a bit more impressive. Emma Stone and Ed Norton were the stars, for me.

poss true - though there not one black actor in the main nominations

The Oscars don't "get" black. They gave the affable and capable Martin "Space 1999" Landau the 1995 Best Actor in a Supporting Role award, over Samuel L Jackson's Jules Winnfield.

Anyway, 12 Years a Slave was last year. What epic black leads could replace someone from this year's main actor Oscar? (Genuine question).

And for that matter is there any chaff in the wheat among the nominees?

The nominees announced Thursday morning are: Steve Carell, "Foxcatcher"; Bradley Cooper, "American Sniper"; Benedict Cumberbatch, "The Imitation Game"; Michael Keaton, "Birdman"; and Eddie Redmayne, "The Theory of Everything."

Well, the wooden statue that is horse-face arse-named posh-twat Benedict Cumberbatch can fuck off for starters.

• Upvote 1

Benedict Cumberbatch is a terrific actor and fully deserving of his nomination.

American Sniper IS pretty good, but I'm not sure it deserves a Best Picture nod. Bradley Cooper definitely DOES deserve a nod though.

Think my only real gripe is Julianne Moore's performance in Maps to the Stars getting snubbed.

Watched Birdman. Quite good. Very clever, but now it's finished it's immediately gone and hasn't really left any lasting impression. Keaton was good, but I'd hope that when I've seen the other nominated best actor performances they'll be someone that stands out as a bit more impressive. Emma Stone and Ed Norton were the stars, for me.

Completely agree.

Can see Keating getting the award but for me Carrell deserves it.His role in Foxcatcher is superb and so well done.