Films

Rufus Gwertigan

Whiplash was brilliant. I didn't know much about the film before watching it, I'm still not even sure if it's an original screenplay or based on something. Great acting and very different. Loved the drumming. Was surprised to see the actor who played Schillinger in Oz in it. Should get a best supporting actor nomination.

Think it will be Birdman for me tonight.

Birdman is incredible. Keaton better win a shitload of awards for this

the camerawork in the film is absolutely amazing as well - all made (apart from a couple of instances towards the end) to look like one continuous take. really great stuff

Whiplash tomorrow. hopefully will continue my row of great films

Birdman is incredible. Keaton better win a shitload of awards for this

the camerawork in the film is absolutely amazing as well - all made (apart from a couple of instances towards the end) to look like one continuous take. really great stuff

Whiplash tomorrow. hopefully will continue my row of great films

Watched Whiplash today and thought it was really good.

Saw The Theory of Everything at the cinema yesterday and it was good, but not quite as good as I was hoping. Got a little bored for the last half hour or so.

Big Eyes as well now. Screeners of nearly the entirety of awards season in one day. Would be pleased to find Inherent Vice soon.

ah i knew there was another film i really wanted to see and had forgotten about. fingers crossed for that leaking. what with Orange Wednesdays nearly gone i'm even more reluctant to go to the cinema these days so all these lovely leaks are just the ticket

Seen a few films as of late...

The Hobbit: Battle of the five armies - CGI-errific. I was really really disappointed, as I was with the other two. These hobbit films almost ruined Legolas for me until I remember that stair slide from two towers. Cheesy, over the top CGI (I know it's fantasy so there's going to be a lot, but jeeeesus was there any actual set in this film? Like 300 all over again), and characters I didn't care about. The only two decent things in this movie are Martin Freeman and Ian Mckellen, if they weren't there it'd be truly awful.

A Clockwork Orange - Couldn't even make it all the way through, so strange and didn't hook me in at all.

Wolf Creek - Standard teen horror flick really, heard it got banned in some places though and didn't really understand why?

Back to the Future - Wow. How had I never seen this before, if there is a definition for a "fun" movie, this is it. Everything about it is great. The hole aesthetic is great today (I love the whole 80's scene) and I can't wait to see the sequel. It's also made me listen to Huey Lewis & the news - Power of love over and over again.

Dallas Buyers Club - I never knew Jared Leto had it in him, he was ace in this movie. It's a film I wasn't too interested in and just watched on Netflix when I was bored at work. The partnership that builds up between Ron and Rayon is what was central to this being a great movie to me, McConaughey knocks it out the park again. I often wondered how any actor could win the oscar over Leo for Wolf of Wall Street, but after actually watching this all has become clear. Sucked me in straight away, and tugs at your heartstrings too. I'd recommend this to absolutely anyone.

I found Wolf Creek to be incredibly "meh" despite many people saying it was terrifying.

a recommendation along similar lines would be "The Descent", now that is a truly great, under rated horror flick.

Edited by t8yman

I could nearly recite it verbatim!

Get stuck into parts 2 and 3 and then you have a lifetime of picking out plotholes! I cant think of any major movie franchise with more.

Thats the glory of it. Hard to get tired of a film that doesnt make sense in any case. Cant think of many better ways to spend a lazy winter afternoon than a few bottles of red and 1,2 and then 3 back to back.

Whiplash. It was decent. I don't understand the rave reviews. Its a film that has been done a hundred times before.

Its The Karate Kid

Its Rocky

Its Crossroads

etc etc etc

Good acting from relative unknowns, but its hardly groundbreaking film making.

7/10