Films

Rufus Gwertigan

Thor is the worst MCU film by far and although not great the dark world was so much better.

You're the first person I have ever seen say that. Thor was great, Asgard was beaut, some great fight scenes, good humor, and it also introduced Loki to the big screen (a great casting by the way).

Thor 2 was almost as big a let down as Green Lantern.

I'm going to see American Sniper tonight, what's the general consensus on here for it?

You're the first person I have ever seen say that. Thor was great, Asgard was beaut, some great fight scenes, good humor, and it also introduced Loki to the big screen (a great casting by the way).

I'm going to see American Sniper tonight, what's the general consensus on here for it?

I liked it, its a but "hoo rah", but its an interested story, well told, well acted. Dont look up any spoilers, but a major point in the film is fictionalised. Look it up after you have watched it.

It was a deeply subpar film and not worthy of Oscar contention.

It's a shame he couldn't get an Oscar nomination for Sherlock but that's not my fault.

Not understanding yr dislike of Humperdinck Bandersnatch - especially as Alan Turing. Also really don't yr distaste for the film. Deeply subpar? Give over - well judged well paced and excellent performances even from Kiera Knightley (though not enough for a nomination IMO).

Not sure how Depp became involved in all honesty,I have a feeling it's possibly because his daughter and Smith's are friends but that could be me talking bollocks.

While I can see where your feelings come from over his role however I loved it.It was so unusual as I was watching I couldn't decide which way I would go but ended up just loving the absurdity of it.

In my eyes Depp & Daniel Day Lewis are the greatest character actors I've seen in my lifetime.They can truely give unique individual performances when required in every film.

I wasn't impressed with Depp in that flick and weird characters are up his alley. I did really enjoy Tusk but everything that wasn't the monster or wasn't Parks in it was cringe worthy to me and I was waiting for it to hurry up and get back to the Mr Tusk and Parks.

Apparently Smith and Depp kids are freinds (and play the counter girls in it) and Depp said something like he would love to be in as many of Smiths films as possible as he's fun, easy and friendly to work or something like.

Not understanding yr dislike of Humperdinck Bandersnatch - especially as Alan Turing. Also really don't yr distaste for the film. Deeply subpar? Give over - well judged well paced and excellent performances even from Kiera Knightley (though not enough for a nomination IMO).

It wasn't the film it should have been, the film Turing deserved, or even the film the film was trying to be. The inexperience of the director was evident in every scene.

Reading all this talk about the Oscars makes me realise how little they mean to me. Out of the Best Picture nominations this year, I haven't seen any of the films and only really want to see The Imitation Game. (Keep meaning to, just never got around to it!).

Give over! Thor 2 was fantastic, underused villian aside!! (and I would have liked to seen a more battles, rather than just the last one between the 9 realms.).

I was excited all the way through, and the ending was brilliant! A stroke of genius for the twist!

I thought The Imitation Game was okay. Just another massive serving of British period biopic for American audiences really after The King's Speech went down so well. I'll vaguely remember it this time next year. Cumberbatch (as well as Knightley) probably does deserve a nomination but I wouldn't place him above Keaton or Carell. Haven't seen American Sniper or The Theory of Everything to judge their actors but I imagine it's just the same story as Cumberbatch for the latter as well.

I was talking about both the film and the acting performance, wasn't I? Though they do need to coast off the back of a critically acclaimed film otherwise Julianne Moore might have got recognition for Maps to the Stars like you mentioned earlier, so the film is in the context as well.

Edited by dentalplan

The Imitation Game was good as a film, top 10 of the year? Not on your nelly, but a good biopic for a great man. Cumberbatch getting a Best Actor nod is pants though, all he did was play a caricature of a prickly guy with no social skills, only very marginally different than Sherlock, who is just a more slick version of a lazy, one-note shorthand for "smart with no social skills" that exists in millions of other TV shows and films. In The Imitation Game he got a lot more depth and development than nearly any of these other characters do, but still not a particularly memorable or fresh performance for me, good job by Cumberbatch, but good job of a character a lot of other actors could have done just as well. You want a really ballsy take on that character trope that will sick in your mind? Jesse Eisenberg in The Social Network, streets ahead of Cuberbatch's performance here.

Might go and see Whiplash in the week, looks pretty decent.

Can anybody recommend Where The Wild Things Are? I know it got a mixed reception, but I saw the Blu-Ray on offer today and wondered whether to buy it. I've heard a lot from the people who disliked it, and nothing really screamed to me that I shouldn't watch it, would just like to hear from somebody who enjoyed it, why they enjoyed it. I like Spike Jonze, but want to hear a recommendation before I spunk precious voucher on it.

Watched What we do in the shadows last week, loved it ..Before I go to sleep, decent enough but bit of a poor ending.

American sniper, very good...

read about the guy a while ago and was going to read the book, but never realised he had been killed

Well, my trip to the cinema friday was utterly dreadful.

American Sniper was full, and my mate wanted to see Dumb and Dumber to, and, well...

:banghead::suicide:

You know that time when you've just come out of the flix and you and whoever you've been with are just waiting to share their views on what you've just seen?

In this case I'd have used the opportunity to push your mate under a bus