Films

Rufus Gwertigan

Just been looking into the "true" accounts of "American Sniper" Chris Kyle. Deeply, deeply unpleasant by the sound of it. He apparently bragged about being called in to shoot looters in New Orleans in the wake of hurricane Katrina, although the story was never verified. But why would someone choose to brag about such a thing?

He also lied on a national radio station about knocking Jesse Ventura out over anti american language used by JV. His wife is facing a large legal bill over it.

I think the controversy is that anyone who says so in public is being abused by those who can't distinguish discussion of a film with criticism of their nation. Several commentators and reviewers have received a barrage of badly spelled hate for questioning whether he was a 'hero' or even whether the film was a good one.

I think the controversy is that anyone who says so in public is being abused by those who can't distinguish discussion of a film with criticism of their nation. Several commentators and reviewers have received a barrage of badly spelled hate for questioning whether he was a 'hero' or even whether the film was a good one.

Does the film even address whether he was a hero and how he was perceived for what he did? Haven't seen it so reliant on reviews - which suggest to me it doesn't.

It's a film at the end of the day, very few films tell the whole truth. It's based on a book about his life so why would they bring the real reasons of the war into it? Enjoy it for what it is. There will always the usual flag waving idiots who will go see this and get right behind it for reasons beyond the film.

Hes a hired killer. What do you expect?

Plenty of soldiers, especially the higher-trained types, are thoroughly professional. Bouts of grim/gallows humour, but not so dafts as to be "believers" in that they're attacking savages on behalf of all civilisation.

Watch or read Generation Kill, or any of the SAS or SBS autobiographies, Immediate Action, Bravo Two Zero, First Into Action, etc.

Chris Kyle does seem to be exceptionally even uniquely w*nkerish compared to his peers.

When you've got a trailer that highlights a decision on whether to choose to kill a child and his mother and then the movie is at best ambivalent about the rights and wrongs - of course people are going to bring pre-conceptions. If you can just view it as entertainment devoid of context then great. I struggle to do that - but thats probably my bad.

I totally get people who don't want to see it, or dislike it out of principle. It's not "your bad". It's morals. When it comes to "based on true story" movies, I have none. that's all. I'm a man who just wants entertainment to be judged as entertainment and nothing else, but a movie like this is a grey area for some people and I get that.